Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 21 Oct 2002, 22:09 (Ref:409727)   #51
Ian-S
Racer

Ian-S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no worries, got plenty more, just not enough bandwidth
Old 21 Oct 2002, 22:28 (Ref:409745)   #52
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
That's our boy Victor Gibson - he got a round of applause from the marshals at the post for that one. The general consensus seems to be that because there are no real gravel traps at Kirkistown, he didn't know he was supposed to get beached and stop!
Old 22 Oct 2002, 00:21 (Ref:409810)   #53
Ian-S
Racer

Oh that explains it all, any other person would have jumped on the brakes and come to visit me, but no, he's gotta keep his foot in and drive across the gravel like it's a trip to the shops

Old 22 Oct 2002, 05:43 (Ref:409924)   #54
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that was funny ....save of the day !
Old 22 Oct 2002, 07:05 (Ref:409951)   #55
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Have to say that for me, the Kents were the race of the weekend. Oh for the FFF of old, hundreds of Kents popping and banging their way around Brands.

New for next year will be parking tickets given out at Druids. After around 5 years the certificates are running a little thin. We reckon anyone who 'pops in' should be given a parking ticket informing them that if their car is still in our gravel after 3 laps it will be clamped!
Old 22 Oct 2002, 08:23 (Ref:409991)   #56
mattray
Veteran

mattray has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hi Ian yes that was me being driving into the wall!

I am glad there was so much support for the kents how about a national championship with a small amount of rounds that dont clash with local chmpionships??

Matt
Old 22 Oct 2002, 08:29 (Ref:409997)   #57
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Good idea Mattray. By the way, I was the observer on the exit to Druids, shame we didn't get to meet!
Old 22 Oct 2002, 08:29 (Ref:409998)   #58
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian-S
How the hell did he get away without hitting the wall?
Sato's right
he did'nt get away with it - Pinki and I were at the top of paddock - post 3 and thought he had got away with it, but our man on the spot at the bottom of paddock is 100% certain he did clip the tyre wall.

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 22 Oct 2002 at 08:31.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 08:48 (Ref:410009)   #59
mattray
Veteran

it was a shame your not wrong! the atmosphere of the crowds for the kent races was so good compared to the zetecs propper racing!!
Old 22 Oct 2002, 09:12 (Ref:410032)   #60
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are all the juniors/regional zetecs.
If they came out there could have been more like 80 to 90 entries which would have been much better.
How about a special clubbie award fro the best finisher in a 2 or 3 year old car etc?
Old 22 Oct 2002, 11:20 (Ref:410101)   #61
mattray
Veteran

ahhh Mr Ewing I was wondering when you would start to stick up for the dying breed of Zetecs, Surely this proves they are just too expensive?! Maybe all the regional/junior except a few thought the competition would be too fierce given the amount of testing and speed they would have compared to them.

for a 30min test session during the week, of which a zetec driver would need a lot of to be fast was £50 how many club racers can afford that??

Matt
Old 22 Oct 2002, 13:50 (Ref:410195)   #62
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not just sticking up for Mattray, I was disappointed there were so few.
Is it the licence status (Int'l?) or that they think they can't win which would be a real shame.
For me, just saying you competed is an accomplishment.
I am certainly not anti-FF1600 (having owned more of them than Zetecs) and the King of Kents wa sa fantastic race. In fact one of my old cars was in the final.

National FF1600 series - sounds like the old SuperClassics which (sadly) died out.

My ideal (and realistic) Festival would be four heats of Zetecs and four heats of Kents and tell the Zips, T-cars and saloons to feck off!

The whole of pro FF (Zetec) is rather sick but I don't think it's to do with the engine - the whbole car has become too complex. Go back to non-adjustable dampers, or even spec damper/springs and harder or treaded tyres and bingo - sorted...
Old 22 Oct 2002, 14:06 (Ref:410202)   #63
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well said Mr Ewing. Kents and Zetecs and ban those ghastly Zip thingies...arghhhh so ugly.

What the hell was Barry Lee doing driving one at the back of the field?
Old 22 Oct 2002, 14:31 (Ref:410212)   #64
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mattray
Hi Ian yes that was me being driving into the wall!

I am glad there was so much support for the kents how about a national championship with a small amount of rounds that dont clash with local chmpionships??

Matt
Did Gav really try and put you in the wall? my he must have become "BobHiggins-esque" in his old age! all those years at Combe learning off the master see.... whats a good Kent lap these days at Brands?
Old 22 Oct 2002, 14:55 (Ref:410222)   #65
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
whats a good Kent lap these days at Brands?
one where you only drive through one gravel trap per lap ?

as for the Zips......i agree they are bloody ugly things , but still were quite entertaining watch going around Paddock in the wet .

The Kents were just a pure joy to watch though .

Last edited by Sato san; 22 Oct 2002 at 14:56.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 15:10 (Ref:410228)   #66
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Zips were more like a destruction derby! Still have no idea what Barry Lee was doing driving one of the monstrocities?
Old 22 Oct 2002, 15:21 (Ref:410237)   #67
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My idea for 'national' FF1600 was to standardise the class structures and regulations across the various regional championships, get the regional championships done and dusted by early September then have a series of National play-offs in the autumn months, one held at each region. So you'd probably have rounds at Oulton, Mallory, Brands and Combe.

The top six (say) drivers from each class in each series would automatically go through, so there'd be two races at each 'play off', one per class. There could also be a couple more races for any drivers who didn't make it into the top six, just for fun; if any of the top six didn't want to compete then the 7th, 8th etc place finishers would be invited along.

Each of the regional series would run eight 15 or 20-minute rounds. However, drivers could also count points in up to four races in other regions, provided they declared first that they were going for points in that race (not just fun). That gives you twelve scoring opportunities, but you'd be allowed to drop your two lowest scores.

A bit complicated I admit but I think it could add a bit more to club level FF1600 racing. What does anyone else think?
Old 22 Oct 2002, 15:47 (Ref:410253)   #68
mattray
Veteran

Yes he did try and put me in the wall, seemed a bit mad but I haven heard anyone else say a good thing about the man and it's not unusual for him apparently, his comment afterwards was "sorry your upset about it Matt but to be honest I dont give a fu**" so to race against a person who doesnt care if he crashes is a bit of a worry, may have to fill the nose with Foam me thinks for our next encounter

I think a good Kent lap is in the 50's I would have thought low 50's.

and JR I agree with you!! its the "FORMULA FORD" festival not the "formula ford and a bit of other rubbish thrown in to fill some time festival" innit!!

Aso I ought to point out that the national champ wasnt my idea it got mentioned to me and I thought I would see what the opionion on here would be.

Blimey Ian that sounds like a lot of racing!!

Matt
Old 22 Oct 2002, 17:33 (Ref:410348)   #69
Ian-S
Racer

When I were a young lad, there was a national kent championship for club racers (mid 90's) but it only lasted a couple of years because nobody could afford to drive to Knockhill for 10 laps.

Does any club level FFord championship give prize money now?

About Gavin, sounds like he hasn't changed, I hear he was clapping his hands even before you two had stopped, should've kept your foot in for a bit longer and driven him across the line

Last edited by Ian-S; 22 Oct 2002 at 17:34.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 17:39 (Ref:410355)   #70
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Green
Still have no idea what Barry Lee was doing driving one of the monstrocities?
That makes two of us. Surely it wasn't THE Barry Lee. Alas I didn't get the opportunity to get to the paddock to confirm.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 18:01 (Ref:410381)   #71
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
that makes 3 of us ......and im sure it was the Barry Lee..as im sure they said something to that effect over the commentry.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 18:40 (Ref:410423)   #72
Ian-S
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
that makes 3 of us ......and im sure it was the Barry Lee..as im sure they said something to that effect over the commentry.
It was the Barry Lee, well he looked like him and had a fag in his hand .

He is an old friend of Martin Hines and has raced the Zip's before, I think he got a call during the week asking him to make up the numbers like he did last time

(I think he did the first zip race of the season this year didn't he?)

Last edited by Ian-S; 22 Oct 2002 at 18:42.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 18:40 (Ref:410424)   #73
Ian-S
Racer

****, double post.

Last edited by Ian-S; 22 Oct 2002 at 18:41.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 18:44 (Ref:410427)   #74
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it was THE Barry Lee. He did a race earlier in the year, was quoted as saying he enjoyed it and wanted to do more.

Matt,

I've been thinking more about my above 'proposal' and there is scope to do a lot of races in my grand plan (you could probably do 52 - at least one every weekend from March to October - if you wanted). I've thought of a few ideas to keep costs relatively low yet encourage good entries. I think it could work and I'd like to see it put into practice (possibly with some fine tuning). If anyone wants to see my ideas, drop me a PM...
Old 22 Oct 2002, 19:11 (Ref:410450)   #75
Barry Pomfret
Racer

Barry Pomfret should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In reply to where were the club Zetec drivers due to a date clash the 750 Zetec drivers were at Snetterton on Sat. and the Scottish lads were pounding round Knockhill. Last year the 750 round clashed and we all complained but apparently the 750MC had their fixtures out before BRSCC. Licences are not a problem as it has now been downgraded to Nat A status.I would have been there if it wasn't for the clash, last year was the first Festival I had not competed in since 1984, I really miss the atmosphere and the social scene.The only positive note this year was our 750 meeting double header took place on Sat. and we managed to get down to spectate on Sun.