Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 28 Feb 2004, 22:17 (Ref:888569)   #1
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VSCC Peter Hull Memorial Race Meeting

This year's VSCC Spring Start Meeting at Silverstone is dedicated to the late Peter Hull (a much loved former VSCC Secretary) who passed away last year.

More details of the meeting are on the VSCC Website.

If you can put up with Silverstone, then this promises to be a terrific meeting.

Duncan
Old 29 Feb 2004, 18:09 (Ref:889285)   #2
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Duncan. Must get my envelopes off for entries. Rumour has it that Donington in September has to make money otherwise racing as we know it might be a thing of the past. Apparently the Club will be heavily reliant upon Members' entry fees...there is a further bit of gossip that the Maser and the Ferrari owners don't pay entry fees to the VSCC so the Club doesn't derive direct financial benefit. How true all this is I don't know but I hope we can continue racing beyond 2004.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 18:54 (Ref:889319)   #3
pvmw
Rookie

pvmw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the forms on my table. I hope the car will be back together in time. The crank and rods are off being metalled at the moment, and are promised in about 3 or 4 weeks, so it should be, tho' there are other things I want to do before it gets put back together.

You've identified several suitable topics for questions to be raised at the AGM I'd suggest. I'm very concerned about Donington. Everyone I've spoken to who I'd expect to attend such a meeting has said that they are going to Beaulieu. When you think of who you see in the Beaulieu bar on sat. night, its a pretty high proportion of the entire competing membership. I hope I'm wrong, but there are going to be a lot of competitors and spectators missing.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 13:17 (Ref:890065)   #4
BugEyed
Racer

Gents

The points that you bring up have validity, but perhaps should be brought up at the AGM rather than here. It is certainly the case that we aren't going to get an authoritative response from the Secretary or the Committee here, however, perhaps at the AGM?

Back to the topic - does anyone know what the three races that aren't mentioned in the Entry Regs are going to be? Or has the VSCC adopted a new numbering system that avoids some numbers?

Duncan
Old 1 Mar 2004, 15:13 (Ref:890182)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
a couple of years ago they put a historic saloon car race on - maybe they will do the same again? If they are its clearly a very secretive one as my entry form is already back with them so I wont be able to enter!
Old 1 Mar 2004, 16:44 (Ref:890295)   #6
exilegaas
Rookie

exilegaas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BugEyed
does anyone know what the three races
Wild guess, but would those be the two scratch and two handicaps, ie the non headline events?
Old 1 Mar 2004, 17:09 (Ref:890324)   #7
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by exilegaas
Wild guess, but would those be the two scratch and two handicaps, ie the non headline events?
Far too coy 1250, of course they are.

The meeting is 10/11 races, 6 headline events plus 4 or 5-5 lap Handicap or scratch races, and we thought teachers could read and count.

(with apologies to Mr B)

Last edited by Chris Roden; 1 Mar 2004 at 17:10.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 18:04 (Ref:890397)   #8
BugEyed
Racer

But we can!

Check the Regs and Entry Form carefully, and you'll see what I mean!

Duncan
Old 1 Mar 2004, 18:12 (Ref:890409)   #9
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: But we can!

Quote:
Originally posted by BugEyed
Check the Regs and Entry Form carefully, and you'll see what I mean!

Duncan
Ok, Ok, Duncan, I take your point....

Races 7, 8 and 10 should be fun, especially for start/finish marshalls and timekeepers....
Old 2 Mar 2004, 08:39 (Ref:890986)   #10
BugEyed
Racer

Clarification

I have been asked by Stuart Pringle to desist from linking to the Regs on the VSCC website in my post at the start of this thread. Thank you to Tim D for swiftly and sensitively editing my post on my behalf. However, this now means that there is little information available as to the content of the race meeting (the only information on the public area of the VSCC website seems to assume that the reader already knows what the meeting is about). So, in order to attract people who may not, here is a summary of my understanding of what races are planned.
  • A High Speed Trial open to Vintage and PVT Sports Cars (in road trim).
  • 10-Lap Itala/Lanchester Trophies Race for Vintage Racing Cars.
  • 12-lap scratch race for the Amschel Rothshild Trophy for pre 1/1/1961 Post-War Front-Engined and up to 2.0 litre rear-engined F1, F2 & Tasman Racing Cars. Event One of The Dunlop Series.
  • 12-Lap The Hon Patrick Lindsay Pre-War Historic Scratch Race open to Vintage and Pre-War Racing Cars. Event One of The Dunlop Series.
  • 8-Lap Scratch Race for the Fox and Nicholl Trophy for pre-1/1/41 Sports-Cars over 2950cc or over 2237cc supercharged, running with road equipment. This race will include a "Team Award"
  • 10-Lap Race for Invited "1950's Sports Racing Cars" built from 1946-1/1/61. Event One of The Dunlop Series
  • In addition there will be 4 or 5 5 lap scratch or handicap races.
This meeting normally features some excellent racing and a superb mix of cars. Definately one to come along to!

Duncan
Old 2 Mar 2004, 15:21 (Ref:891314)   #11
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I called in to say goodbye to Peter Hull last summer, in my proper car of course, sadly only the dogs were in, he wasalready in hospital... I had left it too late.

If one is going to regret anything, it is better to regret the things that one has done rather than those never attempted!

Peter was a great man, good friend and the very essence of what the VSCC stood for.. Much Missed.

Steve McQueen.
Old 3 Mar 2004, 17:46 (Ref:892585)   #12
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter was a great man, good friend and the very essence of what the VSCC stood for.. Much Missed.

Very much so...a charming man. The photo captures his spirit.