Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 13 Jul 2007, 14:13 (Ref:1962482)   #1
Mindspin13B
Racer

United States
ATL
Mindspin13B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumored PLM entrants

Found this on Mariantic last night:

Quote:
News:-
  • European entries for PLM & Laguna Seca soar according to Autosport (print edition)
    • Arena Zytek P1
    • Charouz Lola P1
    • Creation P1
    • Rollcentre Pesacrolo P1
    • Chamberlain Synergy Lola P1
    • Team Modena Aston Martin GT1
    • Autorlando Porsche 997 GT2
    • Peugeot will not be going
    • No mention of previously expected teams Racing for Holland Dome P1, Kruse Pescarolo P2 & Barazi Zyek P2
So why wouldnt Peugeot make the trip to compete against the R10s again?
Old 13 Jul 2007, 14:34 (Ref:1962503)   #2
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindspin13B
Found this on Mariantic last night:

So why wouldnt Peugeot make the trip to compete against the R10s again?
They don't sell cars in the US, so there's not the same marketing draw for them as there is for Audi. Couple that with the fact that at Road Atlanta, where Audi has reams of experience and they have none, they are unlikely to win, and you don't have a recipe for a cross-Atlantic trip to the north. Yes, they are going to Brazil we'd assume, but you can still save money by not swinging through N. America if you don't want to race.

I think we'll have to wait on a much closer date before seeing how many Euro teams actually show though. Budgets have a way of tightening by season's end.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 15:35 (Ref:1962543)   #3
Francesco
Racer

Italy
Lecco, Italy
Francesco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autorlando GT2 won't be there... just received a mail from the team...
Old 13 Jul 2007, 16:18 (Ref:1962579)   #4
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not terribly surprising when the wealthiest of their patrons this year (their Le Mans drivers) already have a Farnbacher chassis waiting for them in the US.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1962704)   #5
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt that we will see any LMP2 entries from Europe at PLM or Laguna Seca, because the level of competition IMO is much higher here in the ALMS than it is in Europe, so it wouldn't be worth it to race here.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1962711)   #6
chewymonster
Veteran

chewymonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we will see the European gasoline P1s not do too well against the factory gasoline P2s. That should be interesting, and should put an end to a couple of arguments.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 19:45 (Ref:1962713)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
I doubt that we will see any LMP2 entries from Europe at PLM or Laguna Seca, because the level of competition IMO is much higher here in the ALMS than it is in Europe, so it wouldn't be worth it to race here.
True but it would be great to see how the ALMS-only Acura and Porsche chassis compare to the top tier LMS squads, esp RML and Radical factory squads.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1962731)   #8
Mindspin13B
Racer

United States
ATL
Mindspin13B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be happy enough to see a DBR9...
Old 13 Jul 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1962741)   #9
I love 04s
Racer

United Kingdom
I love 04s has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have very little doubt that a well run Zytek 07S/2 with some rapid drivers, say Shimoda and Johansson would be equal to the Spiders and Acuras.....If Vegers can stick one P4 on a tight track (ahead of works Pescas etc) whos to say that they wouldnt be up to the task. Fernandez was more than impressed with its speed through tight corners.....
Old 13 Jul 2007, 20:47 (Ref:1962746)   #10
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Oreca Saleen?
Old 13 Jul 2007, 21:10 (Ref:1962757)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love 04s
I have very little doubt that a well run Zytek 07S/2 with some rapid drivers, say Shimoda and Johansson would be equal to the Spiders and Acuras.....If Vegers can stick one P4 on a tight track (ahead of works Pescas etc) whos to say that they wouldnt be up to the task. Fernandez was more than impressed with its speed through tight corners.....
Agreed. Zytek should have spent time over here this year. Being competitive against Porsche and Acura would have spoken volumes. With Michelin tires and pro drivers, I think it would take a win.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 21:39 (Ref:1962773)   #12
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It would also be a good idea for the European LMP2s to show as Acura at least will be headed their way next year.

I believe teams who make the stop in the States will get financial/travel assistance for the trek to Brazil.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 21:45 (Ref:1962775)   #13
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk
They don't sell cars in the US, so there's not the same marketing draw for them as there is for Audi. Couple that with the fact that at Road Atlanta, where Audi has reams of experience and they have none, they are unlikely to win, and you don't have a recipe for a cross-Atlantic trip to the north. Yes, they are going to Brazil we'd assume, but you can still save money by not swinging through N. America if you don't want to race.

I think we'll have to wait on a much closer date before seeing how many Euro teams actually show though. Budgets have a way of tightening by season's end.
Also IMO it's a given that even if they scored no more points in the LMS this year they would get an invite to LeMans in 08. An automatic non-"Auto Entry" if you will, so there is no pressure to secure a spot for LeMans.

I'm with you on the budgetary thoughts, but also think that the top contenders in class (except maybe P-2) will come to PLM in the hopes of securing an "Auto Entry".

L.P.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 22:01 (Ref:1962782)   #14
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The auto-entry really hasn't been that big of a draw...
Old 13 Jul 2007, 22:16 (Ref:1962789)   #15
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
The auto-entry really hasn't been that big of a draw...
I hear what you are saying. I was thinking it might be more of an incentive with the (paid travel) swing through to Interlagos(??) than it has been in the past.

L.P.
Old 13 Jul 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1962797)   #16
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If not looking to secure the auto entry, I would think it looks well in the eyes of the ACO, seeing different teams travel, willing to compete, and the such.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 05:39 (Ref:1962874)   #17
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charouz Racing Systems at PLM and Laguna

http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/241195/49/
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:01 (Ref:1962980)   #18
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhhhh ACO / ALMS Silly season begins. This team and that team will do PLM and LS, this team has THOSE great drivers, THAT team has more great drivers.

What the teams lack is FUNDING. No ALMS will not pay their way. American Sponsors are tight with money for the unproven teams. Unproven means no results and lack of Public relations in the US.

I think it would be great if these European teams traveled and raced a few races in the US.

Some of the challanges are the Distance from Altanta GA to Montrey Califonia is about 4000 miles. Two very very difficult race circuits which only teams with experienced drives ON THOSE circuits do well. Both are great ciruits too.

IMHO dont look at teams saying they will be there. Look at teams who are very very quite, and dont talk about travel to the US.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 14:03 (Ref:1963065)   #19
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Two very very difficult race circuits which only teams with experienced drives ON THOSE circuits do well. Both are great ciruits too.
I think Shimoda put that argument to rest a couple of years ago...
Old 14 Jul 2007, 15:28 (Ref:1963102)   #20
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by bil588
Charouz Racing Systems at PLM and Laguna

http://www.the-paddock.net/content/view/241195/49/
Forgive my skepticism but, while I think Charouz are one of the more likely appearances, I don't take the words in a March press release to mean much about what happens in reality come the end of the season. Everyone claims they plan to do PLM and Laguna, every year, at the outset of the season...then, as I said before, budgets have a habit of tightening up.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:08 (Ref:1963647)   #21
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Oreca bother?
The sponsor is (i think) french, their drivers mostly French, there's bugger all competition...

Why have Modena bothered?
Without a big slice of luck (which is something Modena never seem to have) they would be hugely unlikely to beat a two car factory corvette team.

Why should RML et al bother?
The ALMS P2 is full of jumped up derestricted P2s that are used to having massive power, how would RML adjust?
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1963670)   #22
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by minimangler
Why would Oreca bother?
The sponsor is (i think) french, their drivers mostly French, there's bugger all competition...
You don't think that Corvette is enough competition?
You don't think the American Saleen company would like a couple of their cars to compete here at least once this year?

Quote:
The ALMS P2 is full of jumped up derestricted P2s that are used to having massive power, how would RML adjust?
I'm not sure what you are referring to here. Who are all these jumped up, derestricted P2's, with massive power?
Old 15 Jul 2007, 16:05 (Ref:1963693)   #23
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Haven't ALMS now adopted the 5% smaller restrictor that the ACO mandated at the beginning of 2007....?
Old 15 Jul 2007, 17:11 (Ref:1963726)   #24
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why would Oreca bother?

Why have Modena bothered?
Without a big slice of luck (which is something Modena never seem to have) they would be hugely unlikely to beat a two car factory corvette team.

Theywould bother because there is an automatic entry up for grabs!! IF they have the money this year it is worth running just because next year it makes getting sponsorship easier if you can say 'we have a guaranteed entry at LM'!!

ALMS P2 cars run the same regs as LMS now - if nothing else it would allow RML (or any other team) to decide how much of a threat the ACura/Porsche cars will be at LM next year. If they truly are seconds quicker then they now they have a lot of work to do over the winter.....maybe even consider a new car to attempt to weather the threat!!
Old 15 Jul 2007, 23:45 (Ref:1963993)   #25
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yup, jumped up and "deresticted" all the way to a massive twenty or so more horsepower. That was before Lime Rock, of course.

But there are a lot of reasons that you are right, the LMS P2's won't likely do PLM. Their names are Dumas, Brabham, Briscoe, Maassen, Bernhard, Johansson, Herta, and Franchitti.

Last edited by TWK; 15 Jul 2007 at 23:48.