Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Oct 2020, 08:56 (Ref:4008193)   #1876
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think his bromance with Brundle helps
Old 3 Oct 2020, 10:30 (Ref:4008209)   #1877
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Blundell is an absolute dude to be honest. Don't think anyone has a bad word to say about him.
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he was not a good pundit.

Jim: Lewis is on pole! How important is pole, Mark?
Mark: Pole is important because you start from the front!
Jim: Amazing, over to James!
James: OMFG LEWIS IS ON POLE
Old 3 Oct 2020, 10:36 (Ref:4008210)   #1878
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He was never great punditry material and that is only going to be intensified in front of the ITV cameras, being probed by Jim Rosenthal.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 11:16 (Ref:4008218)   #1879
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
For the last three years he was with Mr Rider
Old 3 Oct 2020, 12:05 (Ref:4008231)   #1880
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
If I was the TV exec with the power, I'd be making the offer to Button to replace Brundle.

Brundle may be popular. He's had his time and for a while been terrible. Sometime during the 2000s, he went from commentating as a former driver, to a entrenched tv personality. I find him nowadays to be a more credible, less camp version of Neil Crompton.

Button may be humble about being a champ. He may not see himself as above Davidson, Brundle and Chandok because he a former champ, and be mates with all of them. But a World champ is a world champ, and they're most credentialed to be an expert commentator.

If he says something stupid, then he's still a WC. Brundle, Davidson & Chandok may be nice and knowledgeable, but they're all journeymen.

I don't know who I'd perfer as lead commentator. David Addison would be the first choice off the top of my head, but there may be better that I'm unaware of.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 12:25 (Ref:4008239)   #1881
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Have you ever seen Jacques Villeneuve's version of punditry?

If not then believe me when i say a world champ is more than capable of sounding stupid while saying stupid things.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 12:29 (Ref:4008240)   #1882
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
If he says something stupid, then he's still a WC. Brundle, Davidson & Chandok may be nice and knowledgeable, but they're all journeymen.
Martin Brundle is a Le Mans winner and multiple F1 podium finisher, and Davidson a runner-up and WSC champion.

Both are cases of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and had things fallen differently both could have had similar F1 success to Button.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 12:36 (Ref:4008245)   #1883
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he was not a good pundit.

Jim: Lewis is on pole! How important is pole, Mark?
Mark: Pole is important because you start from the front!
Jim: Amazing, over to James!
James: OMFG LEWIS IS ON POLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
He was never great punditry material and that is only going to be intensified in front of the ITV cameras, being probed by Jim Rosenthal.
Thanks, you’ve just reminded me of the Jim Rosenthal years. And then he did the Rugby World Cup. It was like the Universe was picking on me.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 12:41 (Ref:4008249)   #1884
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Martin Brundle is a Le Mans winner and multiple F1 podium finisher, and Davidson a runner-up and WSC champion.

Both are cases of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and had things fallen differently both could have had similar F1 success to Button.
Yeah...I don't think so.

Also, MB may be a LM winner. But gee whiz, I took it for granted as I did not follow sportscar racing at the time. But when I found out about the story of his LM win, I was shocked at how little he deserved it. I mean, Eddie Irvine was at least considerate enough to give Mika Salo the German GP winner's trophy as recognition that Mika sacrificed his own glory for Eddie's benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Have you ever seen Jacques Villeneuve's version of punditry?

If not then believe me when i say a world champ is more than capable of sounding stupid while saying stupid things.
No I haven't.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 12:59 (Ref:4008254)   #1885
S griffin
Veteran

Yet Brundle still got the job done to win Le Mans. That’s why they put him in the car, they had faith in him. Salazar got an award for his sportsmanship
Old 3 Oct 2020, 13:25 (Ref:4008261)   #1886
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Once upon a time you could take over your team mate's car during the race. See Fangio and Peter Collins. Did it make either of them lesser drivers of their time?

http://en.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/12351.html
Old 3 Oct 2020, 15:25 (Ref:4008274)   #1887
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suppose it depends whether you like Fangio or Collins Or maybe it's just what you do on the internet.

OT: I miss the days when teams could move drivers round during the race at Le Mans. I thought it good as it's the car that matters and it adds another dimension.

Last edited by Adam43; 3 Oct 2020 at 15:33.
Old 3 Oct 2020, 15:29 (Ref:4008276)   #1888
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yeah...I don't think so.

Also, MB may be a LM winner. But gee whiz, I took it for granted as I did not follow sportscar racing at the time. But when I found out about the story of his LM win, I was shocked at how little he deserved it.
I thought of replying to this. Then I thought, no, I don't think I will....
Old 3 Oct 2020, 15:42 (Ref:4008279)   #1889
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some posts just define asinine better than the OED.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 02:14 (Ref:4008411)   #1890
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Asinine? Haha. Oh dear, the cavalry wants to come and save ol' mate Martin.

I remember reading the article in what I think was an edition of Motor Racing Australia. It wasn't about Martin, but a senior guy at TWR (Forgot his name) telling the story about how he fooled everyone (Including the team) to get the 3rd Jag to win. When I read about Brundle's "contribution" to the win, I was in in complete disbelief in what I read.

IIRC there was a picture of Martin waving on the podium. "What the hell is Neil Crompton doing there???" It was a heck of an article.

Regarding the topic and to affirm my opinion. Button should be the guy to be the expert commentator. Not only does he have the status of WC, he's pretty much gone through every type of experience in F1 that he can relate to almost everyone in the field and every scenario.

- WC, and driven the best car.
- Driven other top cars and produced great performances, and been a bit behind.
- Driven midfield cars and done well or floundered.
- Driven tail end cars and done well or floundered.
- Been a young, green talent possibly getting a drive before his time.
- Been the established veteran being farmed out.
- Been favoured in a team, and been on the outer in a team.
- Had his name up in lights and the star of the show.
- Has been in the background and forgotten about.
- Up there with the hardest list of team mates to go against in his career. Also had lightweights.

If he has the confidence to speak objectively about it, he's pretty much got every possible expert covered.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 02:23 (Ref:4008417)   #1891
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Some posts just define asinine better than the OED.
It seems so.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 02:26 (Ref:4008419)   #1892
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
I suppose it depends on the reader and what knowledge they have.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 02:32 (Ref:4008423)   #1893
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I realised I haven’t watched a year roundup programme for ages. Do ch4 and sky do one?
Old 4 Oct 2020, 06:36 (Ref:4008458)   #1894
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I realised I haven’t watched a year roundup programme for ages. Do ch4 and sky do one?
I prefer the NETFLIX Drive to Survive version myself.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 07:18 (Ref:4008460)   #1895
S griffin
Veteran

Channel 4 last did a season review in 2018 as part of the Abu Dhabi coverage
Old 4 Oct 2020, 11:06 (Ref:4008485)   #1896
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I suppose it depends on the reader and what knowledge they have.
Exactly.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 11:47 (Ref:4008495)   #1897
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Not really.
Old 4 Oct 2020, 13:02 (Ref:4008509)   #1898
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Not really what?
Old 26 Oct 2020, 10:36 (Ref:4013144)   #1899
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
So, I'm from Melbourne. Born and raised. Never lived anywhere else or intend to.

I'm also a Penrith Panthers and Everton fan.

So having experienced one of the worst nights I'm ever going to as a sports fan last night. Why is it that I was most antagonised last night listening the the sky sports commentary?

I'm sort of conditioned to Crofty's mediocrity. He's not capable of any better. Then there's Brundle and Kravitz.

During last night's race, we heard Bottas' radio message of doing a different tyre strategy to Hamilton. Idk how serious it was, as it came across to me as a token request.

But instead of discussing the merits of a strategy, why Bottas has requested it, and so forth. These two jokers point out that has already made the request in previous races, has been denied, and should know the reasons why. Therefore questioning why he's requesting it.

Discussing the merit of Bottas' request and why he's denied is exactly the topic of conversation you're supposed to have during objective commentary. But these two question Bottas asking as if to infer that he "should know his place".

Martin Brundle is not a ex-f1 driver anymore. He's a tv personality, who just happened to race an F1 car at a moderate level for a little while. He's a more talented, less camp Neil Crompton. From whatever insight he offers during the season, I may as well ask any of you.

Ted Kravitz has that condescending elocution, but he's a lightweight. His knowledge is theoretical and superficial. He's a person passionate of the F1 industry, but his interest in motor racing overall is superficial.
Old 26 Oct 2020, 11:37 (Ref:4013161)   #1900
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well I don't think I could disagree with a post any more than that lol.

Crofty is fine. Brundle is excellent. Ted is fantastic.

Tags
pinks