Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 9 Jun 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3648560)   #51
OmerRS
Rookie

OmerRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do they keep playing with minimum weights? Now its very open to critics.

Just give Fords the same power level that Ferrari has.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 20:22 (Ref:3648561)   #52
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What I find most offending is when you see the lying TV graphics for the class, for example:

LMGTE-PRO
Minimum weight: 1240kg lie
Engines: NA 5500 cc maximum, Turbo 4000 cc maximum except if waivers
Fuel tank: 90L lie
Max speed: 290km/h weird estimation
Professional drivers only hahahahha

Which is just horse crap all around, non-nerds have no idea what's actually going on

Last edited by Deleted; 9 Jun 2016 at 20:28.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 20:50 (Ref:3648568)   #53
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Well, but how can you make a graphic illustrating actual details? I guess you could list weight range, and power range in broad senses, but even that would be confusing.

I guess it all 'is what it is,' but it sticks a bit in my craw that AM spec is ever changing too. Less so then the Pro class, but shouldn't they be sort of fixed by now? (Yes, I know, they are being developed too, to a lesser extent. Whatever)
Old 9 Jun 2016, 21:08 (Ref:3648571)   #54
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are they (the AMs) being developed though? I though there was tech freeze going on.

Whatever, we all know the real reasons why they are bopped on round by round basis, and separately from PRO.

As for the graphics, they could just list the individual chassis specs in their current bop/waiver situation when showing then on screen, at least it would be honest.
Old 9 Jun 2016, 21:58 (Ref:3648580)   #55
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
The sad fact is, there has to be an effort toward the first time viewer, who would be somewhat confused the see graphics of the classes that are as simple and straight forward as the one posted about GT, but then when it rolls to GT becomes a rolling series of different graphics. Heck, honestly, I probably would see that as a good time to find relief, and I am a fan.

I feel the same way about millijoules and such, so... whatever happens don't allow hybrids into GT, because honestly it would seem to me to be more about supercomputers crunching numbers then actual loud exhaust flame spitting machines, and I start to not really care. I like it loud, I like flames, I ain't afraid to admit I am a rock and roll kid.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 08:29 (Ref:3648663)   #56
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah those BoP adjustments do make a mockery of some of the comments during the test day commentary. Ford surely wouldn't be so arrogant as to not show their full pace at Test Day. Well they probably didn't and got another weight break. The fault lies with the rule makers though.

In the modern era Porsche basically showed everyone how to do it with the RSR in 2013. They were nowhere until they whupped everyone at Le Mans.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 09:04 (Ref:3648665)   #57
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I guess that we are now going to see all the Fords leaving a trail of sand all around the first lap of practice on Wednesday!

Also I guess that Chevrolet now wish that they had not let Catsburg anywhere near their car on test day! OOOOPS!
Old 10 Jun 2016, 13:31 (Ref:3648703)   #58
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlands99 View Post
So I guess that we are now going to see all the Fords leaving a trail of sand all around the first lap of practice on Wednesday!

Also I guess that Chevrolet now wish that they had not let Catsburg anywhere near their car on test day! OOOOPS!

Catsburg time won't have impacted the factory team as the time he set was in the GTE-Am car which is still the old spec cars as compared to the GTE-Pro spec car. Although I am surprised they didn't adjust the GTE-Am car also.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 14:10 (Ref:3648720)   #59
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
Catsburg time won't have impacted the factory team as the time he set was in the GTE-Am car which is still the old spec cars as compared to the GTE-Pro spec car. Although I am surprised they didn't adjust the GTE-Am car also.

Ah . Good point - missed that one!
Old 10 Jun 2016, 18:07 (Ref:3648767)   #60
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
The real kick in the pants for Chevy is they got that big restrictor cut when they weren't even the fastest car in the speed trap. The Astons were faster than the open top P2s but got less of a change. That's going to cost them way more in the race than just what it will in clean air lap time.
Old 10 Jun 2016, 21:32 (Ref:3648799)   #61
Beryl
Veteran

Beryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBeryl should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
In the modern era Porsche basically showed everyone how to do it with the RSR in 2013. They were nowhere until they whupped everyone at Le Mans.
Not quite how I remember it.

Yes, Porsche did benefit from sandbagging to earn favourable BoP, but so did Aston Martin. And despite the variable wet conditions favouring the rear-engined Porsche, it was Aston who were leading until Mako crashed the lead car with 5 hours to go.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 06:03 (Ref:3648843)   #62
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
Not quite how I remember it.

Yes, Porsche did benefit from sandbagging to earn favourable BoP, but so did Aston Martin. And despite the variable wet conditions favouring the rear-engined Porsche, it was Aston who were leading until Mako crashed the lead car with 5 hours to go.
After that the #97 was still in contention, but the SC in last hour after the downpour pretty much screwed them when they pitted.

All in all, Le Mans 2013 was one to forget for AMR....
Old 11 Jun 2016, 14:39 (Ref:3648922)   #63
Deleted
Veteran

2013 was a terrible race in all accounts (sorry).

Anyhow, I noted the pro LMGTE fuel flow restrictors have also -of course- been fiddled with since the last time, so let's get some more stats in the way!

Chevrolet Corvette C7.R
(PRO)
-1,8mm

Aston Martin Vantage (PRO)
-8,0mm

Ford GTE (PRO)
-1,2mm

Ferrari 488 (PRO)
-2,8mm

Porsche 911
(PRO)
-0,1mm (the full factory cars only, not Proton - we're into individual entry bopping now)

AM fuel restrictors were also fiddled before that I hadn't noticed but not after TD anymore
Old 11 Jun 2016, 15:36 (Ref:3648941)   #64
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
For someone like me and maybe some others who will be most interested in GTE the onboard streaming vids that we see from Corvette and Ford (at the very least) will come in handy for the race big time. Especially since those two makes to figure to contend.

I am not expecting much from Aston Martin and Porsche. I think the win will be between Ferrari, Corvette, and Ford
Old 11 Jun 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3648996)   #65
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Ford will win GTE class just not sure which one yet
Old 11 Jun 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3648999)   #66
Deleted
Veteran

But they only have entries in one of them.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 20:37 (Ref:3649004)   #67
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
But they only have entries in one of them.
he's not sure which of the 4 will win gte-pro.....
Old 11 Jun 2016, 20:47 (Ref:3649007)   #68
Deleted
Veteran

Right
Old 11 Jun 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3649008)   #69
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
A Ford will win GTE class just not sure which one yet
I really want to see a Ford victory (and I am a Porsche person pretty much), because of the history of it. I am not ashamed to say I will have a bit of emotion if that happens. Ford's sports car programs, with the GT40, the Cobras, date back to my childhood, and my father was a fan. He passed away in the early days of Ford's program, so he never saw or read of the successes.

I am feeling an emotional connection to this program, and while I don't want the Fords to romp based on some sort of great game of BoP, I do want one to win. My lovely Porsche's will be there long after I am gone, but this return of Ford seems like a special moment, and we should savor it. I will.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 02:40 (Ref:3649035)   #70
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
skycafe: DAMMM!!! In my case your post hits Very close to home . Sportscars and LM is one topic we very much enjoyed sharing . I do miss my Dad this time of year .
Old 12 Jun 2016, 14:23 (Ref:3649103)   #71
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I really want to see a Ford victory
So do the ACO.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3649115)   #72
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
. Sportscars and LM is one topic we very much enjoyed sharing . I do miss my Dad this time of year .

Just to be clear where my support would be, should Chaparral somehow return to international sportscar racing, I will be the dude walking down the grid sticking lead weights to all the other cars. Just an FYI.
Old 12 Jun 2016, 17:31 (Ref:3649123)   #73
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
An interesting (to me) insight into how P&M deal with running LM as well as the regular IMSA season: at Laguna Seca both cars ran WEC-spec Michelins, not the IWSC-spec tyres used until then. In previous years the WEC tyres were also run at Sebring, but recently the decision was taken to use the softer, less stiff IMSA-spec (i.e. Daytona) tyre. Post Le Mans the development is merged so there is only one spec for the rest of the season.

Not that it'll do the Vettes much good with the smaller restrictor being slapped on them and various breaks handed out to every other car...

(Courtesy of RCE's LM preview).

Last edited by J Jay; 12 Jun 2016 at 17:39.
Old 13 Jun 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3649316)   #74
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does someone know if the special cold track Michelin tires are available for GTE ?
Old 13 Jun 2016, 09:53 (Ref:3649325)   #75
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
An interesting (to me) insight into how P&M deal with running LM as well as the regular IMSA season: at Laguna Seca both cars ran WEC-spec Michelins, not the IWSC-spec tyres used until then. In previous years the WEC tyres were also run at Sebring, but recently the decision was taken to use the softer, less stiff IMSA-spec (i.e. Daytona) tyre. Post Le Mans the development is merged so there is only one spec for the rest of the season.

Not that it'll do the Vettes much good with the smaller restrictor being slapped on them and various breaks handed out to every other car...

(Courtesy of RCE's LM preview).
All GTLMs used WEC spec Michelins at Laguna, IIRC.