Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Mar 2009, 19:46 (Ref:2422989)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 2009 Round 1 - LXXIV Australian Grand Prix

So, welcome to the first preview thread of the 2009 F1 season.

This year we have bigger front wings, smaller rearwings and stickier black things in the corners of the cars. We also have TV coverage on the BBC in the UK, and an impending dodgy situation with diffusers.

This year has been exeedingly static about driver lineups, with only one change. However, the same cannot be said for the cars, with a massive change in speeds (so much so it's not worth having the previous lap times). Brawn GP seem to have produced a great car with McLaren appearing to go backwards - but are they sandbagging?

Standings

Everyone = no points. Simples.

Roll of Honour

Year Driver Car Location
2008 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes Melbourne
2007 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari Melbourne
2006 Fernando Alonso Renault Melbourne
2005 Giancarlo Fisichella Renault Melbourne
2004 Michael Schumacher Ferrari Melbourne
2003 David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes Melbourne
2002 Michael Schumacher Ferrari Melbourne
2001 Michael Schumacher Ferrari Melbourne
2000 Michael Schumacher Ferrari Melbourne
1999 Eddie Irvine Ferrari Melbourne
1998 Mika Häkkinen McLaren-Mercedes Melbourne
1997 David Coulthard McLaren-Mercedes Melbourne
1996 Damon Hill Williams-Renault Melbourne
1995 Damon Hill Williams-Renault Adelaide
1994 Nigel Mansell Williams-Renault Adelaide
1993 Ayrton Senna McLaren-Ford Adelaide
1992 Gerhard Berger McLaren-Honda Adelaide
1991 Ayrton Senna McLaren-Honda Adelaide
1990 Nelson Piquet Snr Benetton-Ford Adelaide
1989 Thierry Boutsen Williams-Renault Adelaide
1988 Alain Prost McLaren-Honda Adelaide
1987 Gerhard Berger Ferrari Adelaide
1986 Alain Prost McLaren-TAG Adelaide
1985 Keke Rosberg Williams-Honda Adelaide
Races prior to 1985 were non-championship

Session times

SessionUK TimeUK TVDuration
Practice 1Friday 01:303021:30
Practice 2Friday 05:303021:30
Practice 3Friday 03:003021:00
QualifyingSaturday 06:00BBC1 and delayed-
RaceSunday 07:00BBC1 and delayed58 laps
Numbers are of red button streams for freeview where listed, but if it's on Freeview it will be on satellite and cable.

External Links

Local clock and weather
F1.com preview
BBC F1 schedule

Internal Links

Ten Tenths IRC chat (link to web client, more mileage available from a proper client)
Predictions
Fantasy F1 Entries

New template by Moi, feel free to use it. Added a few bits.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2422995)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Can't believe its here again. Really excited about the new season. Hopefully the excitement isn't 'diffused' (get it get it ) by the diffuser row.
Old 23 Mar 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2423049)   #3
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
RaiseYourFist has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Cant wait
Old 23 Mar 2009, 21:49 (Ref:2423091)   #4
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jenson Button is PaddyPower's favourite to take the chequered flag at the Australian GP...

DriverOdds
J Button7/2
K Raikkonen9/2
F Alonso11/2
F Massa6/1
R Barrichello6/1
L Hamilton8/1
R Kubica9/1
S Vettel20/1
N Heidfeld20/1
H Kovalainen33/1
T Glock33/1
J Trulli33/1
N Rosberg40/1
M Webber50/1
N Piquet66/1
K Nakajima100/1
S Bourdais150/1
S Buemi150/1
G Fisichella250/1
A Sutil250/1

I fancy Brawn GP to perform well on Sunday, but I'm surprised that Button is the outright favourite. Might put a few bob on Massa...
Old 23 Mar 2009, 23:36 (Ref:2423188)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hate the new session times.

They should have moved it an hour or two earlier, not later.

Oh well.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 00:04 (Ref:2423204)   #6
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally I didn't mind the previous starting time, I actually enjoyed getting up at stupid o'clock - it was one of the few races I was able to watch without any distractions!
Old 24 Mar 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2423211)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wow !!!! Here we are again, I'm glad we finally starting a promising new season. Hope the trend keeps going.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 00:20 (Ref:2423214)   #8
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
Has Brawn said which, if any, sponsors will feature on the car?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 01:05 (Ref:2423249)   #9
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsie View Post
Personally I didn't mind the previous starting time, I actually enjoyed getting up at stupid o'clock - it was one of the few races I was able to watch without any distractions!
Here in the US, ALL European rounds start at 7AM.

Also, shouldn't the title just read XXIV?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2423255)   #10
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I preferred Chatters' preview, early though it might have been.

Normally I'd say "Go Massa!" but I find myself wanting to see Rubens win.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2423388)   #11
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
F1 Spotter Guide should be online by Thursday, might be earlier than that
Old 24 Mar 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2423393)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I've been waiting so long for this.

I'm actually going to miss the 4am start. It sorted the men from the boys.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2423591)   #13
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Man I can not wailt till showtime - havent been this excited about a F1 season in aaaaaages
Quote:
we have to do it every second week and the europeans complain if they have to do it more than once

SOFT
Old 24 Mar 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2423653)   #14
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead View Post
Man I can not wailt till showtime - havent been this excited about a F1 season in aaaaaages

we have to do it every second week and the europeans complain if they have to do it more than once

SOFT
Bahahahahha, YES.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2423657)   #15
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead View Post
The only European I heard complaining about the time difference was one Bernie Ecclestone
Old 24 Mar 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2423661)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The only European I heard complaining about the time difference was one Bernie Ecclestone
Yeah, exactly!

It doesn't change anything, the casual fan will still wait for the repeat later on. Just means those who like to watch it live either have to set the alarm or stay up all night like a total spaz.
Old 24 Mar 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2423665)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it's been like this for 30 years or so...
Old 24 Mar 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2423872)   #18
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Countries down under have put up with the time zone difference for years. It actually helped build interest because the sponsors for the TV stations were able to sell the time cheaply because it wasn't prime time.
This built interest down under because it wasn't at the expense of regular programming.
It will only work in Europe if there is enough demand for the show to be broadcast in what is relatively prime time....and if audiences fall it may all become too expensive so Bernie loses audience share ....and money...
Old 24 Mar 2009, 22:47 (Ref:2424013)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Countries down under have put up with the time zone difference for years. It actually helped build interest because the sponsors for the TV stations were able to sell the time cheaply because it wasn't prime time.
This built interest down under because it wasn't at the expense of regular programming.
It will only work in Europe if there is enough demand for the show to be broadcast in what is relatively prime time....and if audiences fall it may all become too expensive so Bernie loses audience share ....and money...
Do you mean then that sunday morning isn't prime time in TV ?
Old 24 Mar 2009, 23:59 (Ref:2424067)   #20
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Driver Numbers, BTW i get why there is no 13 but why is there no 18??? am i missing or forgetting something??

McLaren Mercedes
1 Lewis Hamilton (GB)
2 Heikki Kovalainen (FIN)

Ferrari
3 Felipe Massa (BR)
4 Kimi Raikkonen (FIN)

BMW Sauber
5 Robert Kubica (PL)
6 Nick Heidfeld (D)

Renault
7 Fernando Alonso (E)
8 Nelson Piquet (BR)

Toyota
9 Jarno Trulli (I)
10 Timo Glock (D)

STR Ferrari
11 Sebastien Bourdais (F)
12 Sebastien Buemi (CH)

Red Bull Renault
14 Mark Webber (AUS)
15 Sebastian Vettel (D)

Williams Toyota
16 Nico Rosberg (D)
17 Kazuki Nakajima (J)

Force India Mercedes
19 Adrian Sutil (D)
20 Giancarlo Fisichella (I)

Brawn Mercedes
21 Jenson Button (GB)
22 Rubens Barrichello (BR)
Old 25 Mar 2009, 00:06 (Ref:2424069)   #21
RaiseYourFist
Veteran

United States
USA
There is no 13 because some think its bad luck or w/e. No idea why there isnt an 18 though
Old 25 Mar 2009, 00:44 (Ref:2424089)   #22
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Yeah picked up on the 13 but the 18 has me puzzled
Old 25 Mar 2009, 01:14 (Ref:2424096)   #23
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
F1.com has just fixed it up a typo on their behalf me thinks they can't count.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 05:29 (Ref:2424181)   #24
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Also, shouldn't the title just read XXIV?
No, the Australian Grand Prix has been running since 1928 (at Phillip Island, not the current track either but closed public roads). Take out a few years during WW2 and it is number 74 this year. It has only been part of the F1 world championship since 1985 but in years gone by, particularly the 1950's, there were current championship cars & drivers competing.
Old 25 Mar 2009, 06:24 (Ref:2424186)   #25
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
why am i hearing the screams of an f1 engine in the air? it's only wednesday....

it could possibly be the stoddart 2 seater f1 car - does anyone know?

might just jump on my bike to find out.....