Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2012, 12:12 (Ref:3147050)   #1
louonline
Racer

louonline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 at Bathurst

Hi guys,
just wondering, what are your thoughts re an F1 event at Mount Panorama?

Lou
Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 12:27 (Ref:3147056)   #2
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
hell yes, bring it here and I'll definately be there.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 13:00 (Ref:3147066)   #3
aj_308
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
aj_308 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will never happen.
They would have to flatten the entire hill and make both the camping areas run offs before it would be safe enough.

From memory, when Button drove the Mclaren there, he couldn't even take the normal line through the dipper.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3147078)   #4
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
hell yes, bring it here and I'll definately be there.
so would i
Old 6 Oct 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3147205)   #5
louonline
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_308 View Post
It will never happen.
They would have to flatten the entire hill and make both the camping areas run offs before it would be safe enough.

From memory, when Button drove the Mclaren there, he couldn't even take the normal line through the dipper.
-------------------------------------
Here we go with the safety bullcrap.

Mate the challenge of the Mount is to take it on with a racing car not flatting it with a bull dozer!

What are you saying; F1 drivers can't drive on anything but flat tracks with miles of run-offs?

From what I've seen of some of the other tracks they race on, there is not much run-off in them tunnels and streets.

As for the Big Dipper, the "normal" line would be the one that best suits what you're driving.

Lou
Old 6 Oct 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3147217)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
One slab of chardonnay limit on top of the mountain.....
Old 6 Oct 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3147238)   #7
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Would be awesome to see them at Bathurst. Is Monaco really any safer?

Perhaps they could create some more run-offs and smooth the track out a bit, the bumps over the top are a bit ridiculous, but I'd leave the actual layout how it is.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 21:49 (Ref:3147244)   #8
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_308 View Post
It will never happen.

He couldn't take the line down Conrod straight because of the crown in the road.

Why waste Bathurst on F1.
Old 6 Oct 2012, 22:13 (Ref:3147255)   #9
louonline
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Would be awesome to see them at Bathurst. Is Monaco really any safer?

Perhaps they could create some more run-offs and smooth the track out a bit, the bumps over the top are a bit ridiculous, but I'd leave the actual layout how it is.
---------------------------------
The track is due for a re-surface next year, perhaps they'll take out those bumps you speak of.

"Minister for Regional Australia Simon Crean announced the $3 million boost for Mount Panorama during a visit to Bathurst earlier this year.
Council will match the federal government’s contribution in order to complete its $6.07 million Mount Panorama Infrastructure Project.
The project will also include resurfacing the 6.2-kilometre circuit and constructing a 2.5-metre safety fence along Pit Straight and other areas of the track."
Link: http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/st...a-lift/?cs=115

Lou
Old 7 Oct 2012, 04:21 (Ref:3147367)   #10
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well since Albert Park likely won't hold an f1 race after 2015, maybe they're prepping the mountain for the pointy cars
Old 7 Oct 2012, 05:20 (Ref:3147378)   #11
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certain tracks are suited to certain cars. Bathurst is a touring car / GT track in the same way that Assen is a bike track and Road Atlanta is a sportscar track.

That, and F1's current track rules would never allow it, resurface or not.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 7 Oct 2012, 05:58 (Ref:3147388)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think too highly of the Bathurst track to curse them with F1.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 06:33 (Ref:3147404)   #13
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter185 View Post
Well since Albert Park likely won't hold an f1 race after 2015, maybe they're prepping the mountain for the pointy cars
I'm not sure I would say "Albert Park likely won't hold an f1 race".
The Victorians have managed to trash the goodwill the event had in Adelaide (after all, less spectators in a more wealthy city that is 4 times larger.....??) however I don't think they want to get rid of it.

Back on topic,
F1 at Bathurst is not going to happen (as much as it would be great to see). It doesn't make financial sense for the NSW government and it isn't a safe circuit for F1 cars.

Last edited by browney; 7 Oct 2012 at 06:41.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3147512)   #14
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is an amazing track, I grant you. Plus, more of a challenge than the current Melbourne F1 track. But, it would not be safe for F1 to run there. You would need larger run-offs and so on. It just won't happen.

I suspect that Australia might lose its race, and we'll get another Far East circuit. It does look likely. What with their contract coming to an end, and their financial troubles. Plus, Webber might be gone then.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3147522)   #15
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post

I suspect that Australia might lose its race, and we'll get another Far East circuit. It does look likely. What with their contract coming to an end, and their financial troubles. Plus, Webber might be gone then.
This man knows. The only reason for the average Ozzie to watch it at the moment is to see Webber race. Historically open wheel racing rates zero in Australia and always has. Ricciardo might replace Webber but the jury is still out on that. If he doesn't all interest will be lost. As for Bathurst hosting an F1 race, pigs fly also. It is a totally silly proposition to even think it would and deserves no further thought. I am surprised that they even allowed FF to race there as the place had an open wheeler ban on it and Skaife was not keen to allow any open wheeler to race there.
Old 7 Oct 2012, 23:19 (Ref:3147912)   #16
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by louonline View Post
---------------------------------
The track is due for a re-surface next year, perhaps they'll take out those bumps you speak of.

"Minister for Regional Australia Simon Crean announced the $3 million boost for Mount Panorama during a visit to Bathurst earlier this year.
Council will match the federal government’s contribution in order to complete its $6.07 million Mount Panorama Infrastructure Project.
The project will also include resurfacing the 6.2-kilometre circuit and constructing a 2.5-metre safety fence along Pit Straight and other areas of the track."
Link: http://www.westernadvocate.com.au/st...a-lift/?cs=115

Lou
The bumps and the surface and elevation changes are a large part of what makes the circuit so demanding.
There is a beautiful shot of the front suspension and wheel and tyre working that gets shown on TV. It is great to see a racing suspension actually having to work for a living instead of being whole lot of unnecessary junk because the surface is so smooth the tyre is more than capable of doing all the work.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 00:35 (Ref:3147931)   #17
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Not the best I have seen, but v8 tyre working at Bathurst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqoVLu19DWQ
Old 8 Oct 2012, 01:02 (Ref:3147946)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Agree with keep F1 out of Bathurst...who needs the track lined with safety fence.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 01:51 (Ref:3147959)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Certain tracks are suited to certain cars. Bathurst is a touring car / GT track in the same way that Assen is a bike track and Road Atlanta is a sportscar track.

That, and F1's current track rules would never allow it, resurface or not.
Quite. They'd demand to tear the circuit apart to make it F1 race ready taking a ransom of money in the process. I'd be horrified at the prospect.

I wouldn't mind seeing a NASCAR Nationwide race run there mind you.
Old 8 Oct 2012, 08:22 (Ref:3148033)   #20
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing a NASCAR Nationwide race run there mind you.
Have you seen this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eltKgjVtChc
Old 8 Oct 2012, 09:33 (Ref:3148077)   #21
gts300
Racer

Australia
gts300 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, now that Montreal has given up the Nationwide race, there is an opening on the calendar.

43 Nationwide cars there would be entertaining. Don't know how many finishers there would be though!
Old 11 Oct 2012, 01:07 (Ref:3149698)   #22
Eff One
Rookie

Australia
NSW, Australia
Eff One has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It would be awesome but as has been said would never happen due to the current safety obsession in contemporary F1 that dictates that drivers must be wrapped in cotton wool at all times and never be in any remote danger of any kind. Ever.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 01:16 (Ref:3149700)   #23
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Maybe on a Play Station game.Alternatively why don't you start a thread "MotoGP at Isle Of Man".
Old 11 Oct 2012, 02:46 (Ref:3149720)   #24
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
You know, the thought that keeps coming back to me is that it's ridiculous that the "sport" of cheerleading could be more hazardous than driving a racing car!

I know it wouldn't happen, but really, Bathurst isn't any more hazardous than the other non-permanent circuits F1 already visits: Melbourne, Monaco, Montreal, Valencia, and Singapore. And Monaco does NOT have a monopoly on danger spots among those five.

Blow a tire heading to Turn 6 at Singapore, and you could nail that concrete wall at ~175-mph! Going more or less straight on at the end of any of the straights of note there could have some nasty results (Turns 1/2/3, 7, 10, 13, 14, 15/16).
Not to mention, if Massa had been put into the wall on the Anderson Bridge, that easily would have been cause for a RED flag, with a blind approach for those coming up behind it.

At Melbourne, the runs between Turns 5 and 6, 7 and 9, 10 and 11, and 12 and 13 have NO run-off to speak of! And those sections are NOT straight.

Montreal has no lack of trouble spots either. Bowing straight off at Turn 1, and interfering with traffic coming out of Turn 2, would be an ugly scene. There have been some nasty incidents in Turn 5 in other series, including a wreck in Star Mazda that wiped out a HUGE part of that field. The kink before Turn 10, though not numbered, has been problematic, as we saw with Kubica in 2007. And finally, there is "Champions Wall" on the exit of that chicane to end the lap.

Last edited by Purist; 11 Oct 2012 at 03:02.
Old 11 Oct 2012, 06:04 (Ref:3149748)   #25
louonline
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
You know, the thought that keeps coming back to me is that it's ridiculous that the "sport" of cheerleading could be more hazardous than driving a racing car!

I know it wouldn't happen, but really, Bathurst isn't any more hazardous than the other non-permanent circuits F1 already visits: Melbourne, Monaco, Montreal, Valencia, and Singapore. And Monaco does NOT have a monopoly on danger spots among those five.

Blow a tire heading to Turn 6 at Singapore, and you could nail that concrete wall at ~175-mph! Going more or less straight on at the end of any of the straights of note there could have some nasty results (Turns 1/2/3, 7, 10, 13, 14, 15/16).
Not to mention, if Massa had been put into the wall on the Anderson Bridge, that easily would have been cause for a RED flag, with a blind approach for those coming up behind it.

At Melbourne, the runs between Turns 5 and 6, 7 and 9, 10 and 11, and 12 and 13 have NO run-off to speak of! And those sections are NOT straight.

Montreal has no lack of trouble spots either. Bowing straight off at Turn 1, and interfering with traffic coming out of Turn 2, would be an ugly scene. There have been some nasty incidents in Turn 5 in other series, including a wreck in Star Mazda that wiped out a HUGE part of that field. The kink before Turn 10, though not numbered, has been problematic, as we saw with Kubica in 2007. And finally, there is "Champions Wall" on the exit of that chicane to end the lap.
-------------------------------------------------------
Hi Purist,

Great post, at last someone that that sees what I see regarding track safety!

I have to admit that I'm not a passionate fan of F1 but I'd just like to see how the perceived top formula of motor sport would fare at our iconic Mount.

If it won't happen it'll be for one of two reasons ( or both!); they want too much money or they don't have the balls to take on the challenge of the Mount.

Hell if I was an F1 driver I'd want to come here just for the thrill of it!

I'm sure if they bit the bullet and brought their show here there would be thousands of motor sports fans that are not particularly F1 fans that would flock here just to see them tackle the Mount.

Come on F1, stop hiding behind this safety bull-crap, forget about the big profits, you'll still make money (and gain a few more fans), let your drivers do something they'd like to do, bring your show to the Mount

Actually, on reflection I'd like to think they have the balls, its just a question of money