Old 12 Jul 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1961343)   #26
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
It's impressive from Lewis, but probably more to do with McLaren being so well prepared for every circuit and every eventuality.
Yet Alonso hasn't utilised Mclaren's form to claim a run of podiums has he? So I would say it's Hamilton's driving just as much as the car working for him. Alonso didn't even beat Heidfeld in round 3, finishing 5th way behind the podium runners.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1961354)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think anyone is actually questioning Lewis' ability, rather we're suggesting that others have been equally talented but had less opportunity to achieve the same thing. Just one more reason why you cannot compare eras.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:20 (Ref:1961372)   #28
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quit it with the damn stats, look, he is doing great, but he didn't look so hot last time out. Mind you, if you can say that about a rookie finishing 3rd then he must be good.
I am the McLaren fan of fans as most will know around here, but I still want to see the guy crack, so I know he is human!
GO Fernando.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 09:31 (Ref:1961381)   #29
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When I met him he seemed human (ooo, get him), although he didn't invite me for a cup of tea when I was next in Stevenage.

Human, but quick and consistent. I don't want him to crack, I don't have any wishes for the future; I am just interested (and enjoying) how he progresses.

It is only really the last race where he has been lucky (with Massa's problem) to not have his run broken. For any long run luck will probably play a part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I don't think anyone is actually questioning Lewis' ability, rather we're suggesting that others have been equally talented but had less opportunity to achieve the same thing. Just one more reason why you cannot compare eras.
You don't really get this forum thing do you? There is no inbetween.

Saying he is well prepared is a good thing, surely?
Old 12 Jul 2007, 10:50 (Ref:1961444)   #30
James North
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
James North should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Didn't Mansell get 9 straight wins over two seasons? Or was 9 wins in a season?
No but Alberto Ascari did in the Ferrari back in the mid 50's.
Old 12 Jul 2007, 11:07 (Ref:1961463)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, we confirmed that earlier in the thread.

Adam.

I stand corrected.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 05:10 (Ref:1964063)   #32
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
iPODIA, uPODIA, wePODIA. Is that what you mean?
Right, now I want to see you write it 500 times

Yes Centurian
Old 16 Jul 2007, 06:57 (Ref:1964117)   #33
Felipe Rulz
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Felipe Rulz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luck was on his side from the start. Where do you see that a rookie comes in and drives for Mclaren? I'm sure if Vettel were able to drive for Mclaren he would have done just as good. He's good, I'll give him that but sooner rather than later his luck is going to run out. Even the greates driver (MS) in the history of the sport finished off the podia (and dnf for that matter). He must enjoy it while it lasts.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 08:29 (Ref:1964178)   #34
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Well, I dunno, Vettel was pretty much squished by Heidfeld on his debut...Alonso has not squished Hamilton yet...
Old 16 Jul 2007, 08:49 (Ref:1964189)   #35
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
Well, I dunno, Vettel was pretty much squished by Heidfeld on his debut...Alonso has not squished Hamilton yet...
really? I remember Heidfeld not finishing the race, and Vettel qualifying 2 places behind Heidfeld just the same way Lewis qualifying 2 places behind Alonso. Lewis benefited from heidfeld's start in his first GP...Vettel was stuck in the middle of a pack which is a far sight harder as a rookie than starting in the front 2 rows.

Plus, the USGP was the first race from which the BMWs have not been so hot, and if heidfeld was pushed all the way by Renaults, can you imagine what it'd be like for Vettel? He's had a great ca to test, right up until his first quali/race - on an unknown track starting in the middle of the pack...I'd say he did bloody well. He only made 1 mistake all weekend and that was when he was in the middle of a few cars trying to get past each other...Lewis made several (yet ignored by ITV) mistakes in Australia going off onto the runoff grass slightly several times even though he was in clear air and Alonso was consistently 2 seconds behind him.

I hated it when people started comparing his debut with Heikki's as well. Heikki has had to change everything for everything he's known in testing - a great Renault on Michelins to a struggling renault on bridgestones hard to keep on the road. He's had his difficulties...now look how Heikki is driving still with a rubbish Renault.

Then you have Nico who had a stunning debut last year putting in the fastest lap of the race...ON A WILLIAMS when in hindsight we saw just how bad the williams was. Even now he seems to be flattering the Williams most of the time...but why isn't his praises being sung? because he has to struggle through a pack with a difficult car just to get it close to the top 3 teams - and Lewis is IN one of the top two teams. That's 3 times now Nico has brought his car to 5th or 6th place only for his car to give in before the finish line. If you think about the number of spots the 2 McLarens, 2 Ferraris and 2 BMWs occupy every race, thats like him winning a race to make it to 5th or 6th in a Williams!!

We saw Lewis 40 seconds behind the two leaders...with noone behind him immediately...yet he was making mistakes on the road everywhere. THAT was the first test of things not going right for Lewis, and even then there was hardly any pressure (except expectation) from other cars when he was having a lonely race anyway. Wait till his car is in the middle of the grid and his car is struggling...he might have done it in GP2 but F1 is not like GP2 and Lewis has said that himself...
Old 16 Jul 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1964191)   #36
Felipe Rulz
Rookie

South Africa
South Africa
Felipe Rulz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well we'll never know for sure.

FYI, Vettel finished 8th while Nick dnf.

Last edited by Felipe Rulz; 16 Jul 2007 at 08:58.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1964242)   #37
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Vettel was half-a-second behind on fuel correcteds, minimum. Heidfeld then went on to be butchered by Kubica in the next two races.
Old 11 Sep 2011, 23:34 (Ref:2954168)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleneuveTracy View Post
Number of consecutive podiums per driver

9 - Lewis Hamilton (2007)
I happened upon this thread and checked to see if anything had changed, and do you know what? It hadn't. The 9 podiums still stands (Australia 2007-Britian 2007) Talk about the kiss of death!

Interestingly, or annoyingly depending on what way you look at it, those 9 for Lewis puts him joint 4th along with Clark, Lauda, Piquet and Schumacher (twice), 3rd is Vettel with 11 consecutive, Alonso is 2nd with 15 and Schmacher first on 19.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 12:51 (Ref:2954433)   #39
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah I wondered why this thread had been resurrected. I suppose it is at least something for Lewis to take comfort in, with the season he is currently having.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 13:11 (Ref:2954449)   #40
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14 View Post
Its not where you start, but what you develop into that counts!
Old 12 Sep 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2954485)   #41
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
Yeah I wondered why this thread had been resurrected. I suppose it is at least something for Lewis to take comfort in, with the season he is currently having.
I can assure you that there was no malicious intent. I spied the thread title as i was coming out of a thread, went back to see what it was all about and then raised my curiosity level that i needed to check if anything had changed. Which it hadn't.
Old 12 Sep 2011, 17:30 (Ref:2954580)   #42
aki13
Racer

aki13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting

He is not in danger of breaking it this season is he.

Lets hope next season he can refind his previous form
Old 12 Sep 2011, 20:24 (Ref:2954678)   #43
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uhn... it seems to be a mess of a thread.Funny that it's back from the dead.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 09:32 (Ref:2954895)   #44
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm still trying to work out what hasn't changed.

Hamilton hasn't matched or improved on his streak that's for sure. But I can't imagine he'll be too happy that Vettel has gone sailing past him and will probably top the list altogether very soon.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 14:32 (Ref:2954979)   #45
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I can assure you that there was no malicious intent. I spied the thread title as i was coming out of a thread, went back to see what it was all about and then raised my curiosity level that i needed to check if anything had changed. Which it hadn't.
Okay, I didn't mean to offend you. I just wondered why it had been resurrected.

Sadly, this just shows you how in F1 you can be at the top of the pile one year and then not. From hero to zero in a sort space of time. That is not to be too critical of Hamilton, he has accomplished a lot of things(like being the first mixed race driver in F1 and his championship in 2008). Sadly, Mr. Vettel has come along and he is very young and very talented. Lewis trying to keep up with him is going to be tough. I think Lewis' management change didn't help matters.
Old 13 Sep 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2955063)   #46
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
That is not to be too critical of Hamilton, he has accomplished a lot of things(like being the first mixed race driver in F1 and his championship in 2008).
Hang on, how about Mario Andretti? He raced on dirt, ovals, dirt ov...oh, wait, I see what you mean.
Old 19 Sep 2011, 13:18 (Ref:2958032)   #47
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is not to be too critical of Hamilton, he has accomplished a lot of things(like being the first mixed race driver in F1 and his championship in 2008)
Hilarious how you put the accomplishment of being "the first mixed race driver in F1" before that of being WDC!

Largest sunglass wearer, first mixed race driver! Oh, and world champion.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 06:13 (Ref:2958329)   #48
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I'm mixed like Hamilton, I guess that's why I like him. I don't pay much attention to his PR, or off-track talk. I'm from America, so the British speak to me seems funny from a 'black guy'. But he's got some serious skills. I just hope he chills out some during the races where it counts. No reason to push the issue. I understand his frustration though. A car not fast as the Red Bulls, then getting caught in traffic, must **** him off something fierce.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2958448)   #49
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
A car not fast as the Red Bulls, then getting caught in traffic, must **** him off something fierce.
That feeling probably applies to most of the drivers that don't drive a Red Bull. They're all in it to win. And they are 'all' racers. It's just that, in most cases, they don't even have the second, third, four, or even the fifth best car to do it in.
Old 20 Sep 2011, 14:35 (Ref:2958555)   #50
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
maybe this isn't even the place but is he really the first driver of mixed race in F1? i must say i have never heard this before.
wasn't Senna half Brazilian and half Italian?...and i doubt he was the first but it was just the first to come to mind because i was recently reading more about him.

does anyone even keep track of this stuff beyond the nation from which a driver chooses to compete under?

Tags
jpm