Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 17 Apr 2016, 11:07 (Ref:3633730)   #26
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
two cars in gravel + car on fire = a early end to race 1
Old 17 Apr 2016, 11:27 (Ref:3633747)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Great way to start the races with a lot more to keep it exciting and with a few new names in the mix. The fact is the change of the championship is looking more and more likely to be the focal point for the rest of the season with the next generation of the series and a few of the older drivers in the fight for the title.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 12:38 (Ref:3633810)   #28
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
two cars in gravel + car on fire = a early end to race 1
A Marshall running infront of cars at Brands and slow and relaxed about putting the fire out at Donington... UK Marshals - who without there would be no Motorsport- used to be the Worlds best , what's going on ? Is the training subject to cutbacks or is the stupid calendar with BGT BTCC ELMS and WEC on the same weekend spread resources too thin?../
Old 17 Apr 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3634068)   #29
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda 1-2

and WSR seem their main challenger for the title

thankfully no safety car in race 3
Old 17 Apr 2016, 17:26 (Ref:3634109)   #30
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
which is the 1st time this year the SC stayed in pits bearing in mind a person in the box did not like the look of the tractor and marshal on the gravel when there was a car in the old hairpin gravel
Old 17 Apr 2016, 17:54 (Ref:3634137)   #31
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
which is the 1st time this year the SC stayed in pits bearing in mind a person in the box did not like the look of the tractor and marshal on the gravel when there was a car in the old hairpin gravel
The car was in a very awkard place especially because the others were still bumping into each other out of Redgate and down the hill as we could see from an onboard shot from one of the MGs I believe while the car was being recovered. Seemed very risky compared to other incidents that have caused safety cars in the past.

I was very surprised to see the Hondas struggle that much on the softs in race 1, out of interest, how much testing do teams get on that compound before the season? Good to see Mat Jackson where he should be, I think him and Tordoff will be the biggest challengers for the championship besides Honda. Rather disappointed by Jordan though even without weight he couldn't really get away from Jackson in race 3. Let's hope he can put the car closer to the front at Thruxton and show some pace in the car.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 18:40 (Ref:3634154)   #32
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only now catching up on Race 2 as I was otherwise engaged at that point! But caught Race 1 and 3 on the iPad thanks to the wonders of 4G

6 winners from 6 races is starting to prove just how exciting this Championship could be. Still a few drivers there who I'd fancy to take a win between now and the end of the season too (Tordoff , Goff, Jordan, Cook, Sutton, Austin, A.Smith, Turkington and Plato, from the top of my head)

He might not have taken a victory, but I'm massively impressed with Ash Sutton. We know he's a good driver from his Clio days, but he's already battling like the best of them. His aggressive, but still measured and fairly sensible approach (elbows out, not afraid to stick in a bit of contact, but not reckless) reminds me a bit of Tim Harvey in his younger days. He could have a very long and successful career in this Championship in my opinion.

As could Josh Cook, who it's frightening to remember is still a young, relatively inexperienced driver himself. It seems odd that last year he was a rookie as he's driven with real maturity this year, and looks like a very experienced inexperienced driver! MG have struck gold in getting a driver lineup who get on so well with each other - as Shedden and Neal have proven over the years that team-work can win titles.

Gutted for Jake Hill suffering more technical gremlins. I'm trying not to sound disrespectful to Hard here, but if you put him in a better car (Speedworks' Avensis, Focus, MG, Honda etc) he'd win a race this year for sure. The job he did in the races lugging around that out Avensis was nothing short of remarkable. Was impressed again by Epps in the other RCIB Hard Avensis as well.

Hunter Abbott did well, hopefully forcing some of the guys with the wretched (S)Hunter Abbott banter to disappear. I've always liked him, even if he has had a few knocks over the Audi years.

Disappointed with Simpson as I said earlier, after such an impressive debut, he looked a bit too, erm, keen at times today. Two penalties in Race one and a verbal warning in race 2 culminating in starting last on the grid for R3 and 3 points deducted will hardly have been the start to the season he was looking for. Crazy move on Welch, but he'll learn from it. It was also nice to read he apologised in person to Rob Austin for contact with him. Takes a big man to admit his mistakes and do that and I hope that the incidents won't tarnish his reputation in the series.

The advantage is still very much with Honda, but their Championship position isn't nearly as strong as the standings would suggest at this stage. All the cars struggled on the softs, but they seemed to more than I was expecting. Both their 1-2s this season have also came as a result of other cars strife as opposed to a trademark comfortable gallop to the flag (see F1, although not today, for this definition!)

The sooner we get the Subarus up to speed the better, then we could have a title fight between Honda, MG, BMW, Ford and Subaru. That would be something to really saviour.

Hoping to see Andrew Jordan improve a bit for Thruxton, he's consistent, but that lack of a win just seems to be going on and on. Also I've got him on the prediction game

Finally welcome (back) to Daniel Lloyd. He'll be a good addition to the series, and the Eurotech Hondas are looking impressive. Glad to have further competitive quality added to the grid.

Last edited by 850Estate; 17 Apr 2016 at 18:47.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 18:47 (Ref:3634157)   #33
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda is doing something really intelligent which few noticed

I think they try to use as much as possible the softs in Race 1 so in latter season half they will have to use in Race 2 and Race 3 only

the idea is Race 1 will always be the coldest (bar rain shower) and in 2nd half the temperatures will be much higher which will help the softs a lot

so you will get race 1 when the Hondas will be on normal and the other cars on softs and races 2 and 3 where the Honda will use them and not the other but it won't be much of disadvantage anymore !!

and as shown they are in a position to take all this handicap now and still be at front of tables !!!

Last edited by porsche962fan; 17 Apr 2016 at 18:52.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 19:26 (Ref:3634173)   #34
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I didn't like from Simpson was the lie. Poor show.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 20:34 (Ref:3634196)   #35
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As usual, I enjoyed watching the BTCC races today, and was pleased to note that, on the TV presentation at least, there seemed to be far less of the "push to pass" syndrome, and although there were a few driving transgressions as stated by other posters, the overall standard of piloting was pretty good in comparison to previous events.

My major gripe is though, just as in F1, is with the artificiality of some of the rules, in particular the rules surrounding the use of tyre compounds to "spice up the show". I think I heard correctly either Addison or Harvey say that only one car during the whole day managed to end up in the top 10 when on the soft compound, and that was the car that came 9th in Race 3.

Maybe I am stupid, but does that really add to the value of the racing? And does it add to the excitement, as said by another poster, that Honda are possibly being clever in how they are manipulating, well within the rules I must add, the situation so that they should, in theory, suffer less than the opposition.

Why can't they just nominate a particular compound for each race, and then let the cars and drivers battle it out on equal terms? And let the best driver/team win?
Old 17 Apr 2016, 21:42 (Ref:3634210)   #36
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
As usual, I enjoyed watching the BTCC races today, and was pleased to note that, on the TV presentation at least, there seemed to be far less of the "push to pass" syndrome, and although there were a few driving transgressions as stated by other posters, the overall standard of piloting was pretty good in comparison to previous events.

My major gripe is though, just as in F1, is with the artificiality of some of the rules, in particular the rules surrounding the use of tyre compounds to "spice up the show". I think I heard correctly either Addison or Harvey say that only one car during the whole day managed to end up in the top 10 when on the soft compound, and that was the car that came 9th in Race 3.

Maybe I am stupid, but does that really add to the value of the racing? And does it add to the excitement, as said by another poster, that Honda are possibly being clever in how they are manipulating, well within the rules I must add, the situation so that they should, in theory, suffer less than the opposition.

Why can't they just nominate a particular compound for each race, and then let the cars and drivers battle it out on equal terms? And let the best driver/team win?
Tordoff and Goff were on Softs for Race 3 and placed 3rd and 6th respectively. Cook was the highest placed FWD car on Softs at 9th in the same race.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 06:56 (Ref:3634316)   #37
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It isn't manipulating the rules, it is just tactics and playing the long game.

On another note, I hope Ash Sutton has a good budget for rear bumpers as it seemed that everyone gave it some loving over the 3 races.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 08:02 (Ref:3634329)   #38
850Estate
Veteran

Sweden
GBR/SWE
850Estate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Didn't hear anything about that, what happened?

Quote:

You know, I felt the exact same when I was watching it. I get that it shakes up the winners etc, but does it really add much? I always enjoy the single compound at Thruxton, and it never seems to affect the racing much, so I'm not sure we need a soft compound to 'spice the racing up'.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 08:28 (Ref:3634336)   #39
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Don't worry about that. Did that bother you for all the races after Thruxton last season? If last year is anything to go by, Donington just seems to exacerbate the tyre difference, be it the temperature at this time of year, track surface or layout.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 10:17 (Ref:3634366)   #40
squadge
Rookie

England
Huddersfield/Newark
squadge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
A Marshall running infront of cars at Brands and slow and relaxed about putting the fire out at Donington... UK Marshals - who without there would be no Motorsport- used to be the Worlds best , what's going on ? Is the training subject to cutbacks or is the stupid calendar with BGT BTCC ELMS and WEC on the same weekend spread resources too thin?../
Were the marshals slow putting the fire out??? James Cole had parked the car on pit lane exit, between two fire points. Priority number one is the driver and the marshals, the car is second. As a marshal you must evaluate your surroundings, safety is paramount. A car can be easily repaired, a human can not.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 12:33 (Ref:3634411)   #41
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by squadge View Post
Were the marshals slow putting the fire out??? James Cole had parked the car on pit lane exit, between two fire points. Priority number one is the driver and the marshals, the car is second. As a marshal you must evaluate your surroundings, safety is paramount. A car can be easily repaired, a human can not.
I was in one of the pit garages watching the race live on TV. To be honest, when the car stopped it was pretty well alight (it looked like a fuel fire). Very soon the pits based fire tender raced down the pit lane to the incident. In my opinion (and I'm not dressed on orange!) the marshals reacted as quickly as possible, I thought the whole thing was gong to go up in flames!
Old 18 Apr 2016, 14:25 (Ref:3634454)   #42
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
just watched the fire again. the marshals run up, place extingushers on the ground, prep the fire extinguishers and then fire the extinguishers.
What struck me was how come the extingushers weren't ready to fire from the get go.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 14:52 (Ref:3634464)   #43
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
23 seconds from car stop to extinguisher on car - a reasonable time given the distance they had to cover, given that the driver was looking after No 1 and baling out wherever he could stop.

To explain the previous post - you never carry an extinguisher with the pin out as the likelihood is you'll be covered in powder before you get there, and the extinguisher will be empty. That's no use to anyone.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 15:08 (Ref:3634470)   #44
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
23 seconds from car stop to extinguisher on car - a reasonable time given the distance they had to cover, given that the driver was looking after No 1 and baling out wherever he could stop.

To explain the previous post - you never carry an extinguisher with the pin out as the likelihood is you'll be covered in powder before you get there, and the extinguisher will be empty. That's no use to anyone.
figured there would be a logical explanation, thank you
Old 19 Apr 2016, 00:54 (Ref:3634672)   #45
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlbtcc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Didn't hear anything about that, what happened?
“He apologised saying he was pushed by someone else, but I don’t think there was anyone behind him.”

That, I guess.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 11:21 (Ref:3634773)   #46
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
just managed to catch up last night. What fantastic racing. Generally clean, of course a few exceptions. I think they should race at Donington every round! Race 2 was especially superb, with some overtakes ongoing for nearly an entire lap.

The championship looks so open at the moment. I cant help thinking that either Sheddon or Neal will take the title, but maybe (hopefully) the BMW & Ford drivers will be in the hunt as well.

Nice to see the MG's with two very young drivers up there mixing it with the established crowd. I'm sure there were plenty of doubters (myself included) after last year and their very late announcement of two inexperienced drivers.
Old 19 Apr 2016, 18:45 (Ref:3634932)   #47
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had another cracking day at Donington for the BTCC, got there just before the tourers first race so missed all the fun of the Clio's first race which a pitty but the rest of the day was spot on.

Here's my vid of the days action, skip to 24:45 to see Neal's overtake for the lead in the final race shot from the newly opened infield as u can see from the start of the Craners all the way to exit of McLeans in one one go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyLI...vqrqneutd0ix04
Old 19 Apr 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3634967)   #48
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Seems Honda were playing an intelligent game as usual. Would be good to see a new champ at the end of the year though and we might have a good chance with Goff, Tordoff or Jackson

Ingram needs to add a bit more racecraft to his speed, he's lost too many points so far

Marshals did a better job than they did at Brands with regards to cars being removed

Jeff Smith did well again, he's putting Depper to shame

Seems the soft tyre is more effective here than anywhere else
Old 20 Apr 2016, 07:25 (Ref:3635042)   #49
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Sorry, for some reason I double posted.
Sorry, for some reason I double posted.

Last edited by VIVA GT; 20 Apr 2016 at 07:28. Reason: Double post
Old 20 Apr 2016, 07:27 (Ref:3635043)   #50
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Seems Honda were playing an intelligent game as usual. Would be good to see a new champ at the end of the year though and we might have a good chance with Goff, Tordoff or Jackson

Ingram needs to add a bit more racecraft to his speed, he's lost too many points so far

Marshals did a better job than they did at Brands with regards to cars being removed

Jeff Smith did well again, he's putting Depper to shame

Seems the soft tyre is more effective here than anywhere else
By that I take it you mean that it's more effective at screwing up the race of whoever is using the soft tyre?