Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 May 2004, 16:02 (Ref:960511)   #1
ste_dot
Rookie

ste_dot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fuel pumps.

I'm fitting a foam filled alloy fuel tank to a Peugeot 205 GTI. How do I work out what spec fuel pump I need to fit?

The car is a mildly modded (stock hatch) 1.6.

Last edited by ste_dot; 4 May 2004 at 16:04.
Old 4 May 2004, 16:22 (Ref:960536)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does the Pug use a return fuel injection system or is it a constant pressure system? A return system uses a high pressure pump to feed the motor and sends the unused fuel either back through the pump in circulation or sends it back to the fuel tank. A constant pressure system uses a fuel regulator to activate the fuel pump when the pressure gets to a certain level and maintains a certain amount of pressure to the injectors. You can get too much pressure against a fuel regulator and damage it.

If you have a return system then you need as much volume or pressure as the system can safely control because the fuel is being circulated if it is not used. A constant pressure system needs more control and a specific fuel pressure to keep it working at optimum. Look at your injection specifications and determine what flow or pressure you need. Fuel pump suppliers should be able to provide you with their fuel pressure output.

The Enderle mechanical injector we use on the race boat uses a return system. The Hilborn 80A pump supplies 7.5 gallons per minute of fuel to the control valve on the injector. The injector at wide open throttle uses about 5 gallons per minute. The extra amount of fuel is routed back through a recirculation line at the fuel pump and basically runs circles until it is used up.

In contrast my Ford Focus uses a constant pressure system where a fuel regulator controls the fuel pump to keep a constant fuel pressure, about 10 psi, to the injector assembly. There is no return line as the regulator controls the flow rate.

I would not think that you would need any extra fuel pressure to feed your engine because of the safety foam in the tank, but I could be wrong. Most have a built in safety factor to keep the engine from running too lean.
Never forget #99
Old 7 May 2004, 08:16 (Ref:963183)   #3
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i assume the engine still has stock fuel injection, if it has then justabout any fuel pump off a multi point fuel injection system will do, as it only has to provide enough fuel to get the job done, the actual pressure is determind by the fuel pressure reg at the end of the fuel rail, i would go for a fuel pump of a late 80's early 90's astra/caviler they are cheap plentiful and with push on fittings are easy to plumb in, and will supply plenty of fuel for your needs another one worth considering is a fuel pump off an early e30 bmw (late ones had a pump in the tank)

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 13 May 2004, 16:19 (Ref:970002)   #4
ste_dot
Rookie

ste_dot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers chaps. The engine does have stock fuel injection and as I have a 'spare' e30 pump sat in the garage it looks like I'll be using one of those.