Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Mar 2018, 23:01 (Ref:3806379)   #1601
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I would prefer to see Mexico a bit sooner in the season too
Old 6 Mar 2018, 23:44 (Ref:3806387)   #1602
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Your not blessed with NASCAR
bjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Thank heaven for small mercies. Live TV coverage is enough.
And of course EB our promoters are smart enough to put the Taxis on the support card.

Seriously why can't more countries put together an intensive 4 day carnival like Melbourne does?
Old 7 Mar 2018, 01:50 (Ref:3806408)   #1603
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
bjs

And of course EB our promoters are smart enough to put the Taxis on the support card.

Seriously why can't more countries put together an intensive 4 day carnival like Melbourne does?
Well, I would assume that you would need to have a city type circuit, such as Melbourne, Singapore, Montreal or Monaco to make it work. Out in the sticks venues such as Silverstone or the upcoming Paul Ricard cannot compete on the type of hospitality required to make it an event like yours, although I believe that it is pretty similar in Montreal.

But in the end it all comes down to money. It's the amount that FOM extorts from places like Silverstone that forces the organisers to charge extortionate prices that make it too expensive for many people to be able to afford the cost.

And, certainly in the UK, the overwhelming majority of the spectators at Silverstone go there just to see the F1 race. Even on the Friday and Saturday, most spectators wander off to feed their face, have a drink or just powder their noses if it is not the Grand Prix cars on track. On those two days most of the grandstands are free to use with weekend passes which sell quite well, but they are pretty well completely devoid of spectators when any of the supporting racers are on track, even during their actual races on the Saturday.

By contrast, or so I am led to believe, the Silverstone Classic (for historic racing) has a more carnival atmosphere than the GP even though it attracts fewer spectators.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 12:42 (Ref:3806597)   #1604
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
bjs
I was joking. I've only ever watched one NASCAR race.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 23:26 (Ref:3806743)   #1605
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I would prefer to see Mexico a bit sooner in the season too
Mexico on DÃ*a de los Muertos is perfect.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 04:07 (Ref:3806776)   #1606
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Mexico on D?*a de los Muertos is perfect.
But it's not really is it? DOTD was a week after the GP last year, and is 2 weeks after the GP this year.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 18:53 (Ref:3806909)   #1607
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
im pretty sure i remember drivers celebrating/participating in it last year so i quickly checked...

race in mexico was oct 29th last year and is the on the 28th this year with DÃ*a de los Muertos festivities running from oct 31 to Nov 2.

anyways, for sure it makes sense to twin an event with a local holiday but it can also go the other way.

the traditional date for the Montreal GP used to coincide with St. Jean Baptiste day in Quebec (arguably this province's biggest holiday) and while it was great in terms of more crowds and festivities, it was also way too crowded and probably not enough hotel rooms and bars to accommodate both sets of revelers.

iirc there was some issues/resistance when the date got moved to earlier in June but i think the city quickly realized that instead of one busy tourist weekends they now had two.
Old 9 Mar 2018, 03:38 (Ref:3806966)   #1608
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We don't know if we still have civilization at the end of this year and we're discussing GPs of 2021. There are more important things than motorsport, guys
Old 9 Mar 2018, 04:07 (Ref:3806970)   #1609
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
We don't know if we still have civilization at the end of this year and we're discussing GPs of 2021. There are more important things than motorsport, guys
We're all here on this forum to discuss motorsport and no one knows what could happen during the course of a year. However, as long as civilization continues, so will motorsport in one form or other and we will continue to discuss motorsport.
Old 9 Mar 2018, 04:49 (Ref:3806976)   #1610
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
We're all here on this forum to discuss motorsport and no one knows what could happen during the course of a year. However, as long as civilization continues, so will motorsport in one form or other and we will continue to discuss motorsport.
Well said. I am sure other forums exist to discuss the end of the world. I'll stick to motorsport.
Old 9 Mar 2018, 09:10 (Ref:3807009)   #1611
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Question is, Argentina has no need of a GP. We need the money to more important things than a F1 race.
Old 9 Mar 2018, 22:06 (Ref:3807160)   #1612
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
There are more important things than motorsport, guys
Go & wash your mouth out with soap!
Old 3 May 2018, 07:44 (Ref:3819033)   #1613
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Miami street race for October 2019 to be approved in the next day or so?

Miami in October. Should be interesting.

Old 3 May 2018, 08:40 (Ref:3819044)   #1614
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Miami does have a history, with the Sportscar race being there. And it wouldn't be a bad place to hold a race IMHO
Old 3 May 2018, 13:02 (Ref:3819095)   #1615
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
whats with the baku bashing ?! its one of my favourite races *confused*
Old 3 May 2018, 13:16 (Ref:3819101)   #1616
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaynes321 View Post
whats with the baku bashing ?! its one of my favourite races *confused*
I agree, I think it’s a great track.
Old 3 May 2018, 15:37 (Ref:3819120)   #1617
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering they’ve not agreed the race yet, it seems a mighty quick turnaround to eat things ready in 17months from start to finish. Unless a lot of the planning has already taken place behind the scenes.

Out of interest, how long was it from Baku being confirmed before the inaugural race?

I assume this will take the German GP calendar “space†as well? Still hoping for a Dutch GP too, just for variety/new circuit purposes though (as the race will be pretty dreadful on a track designed for bikes)
Old 3 May 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3819126)   #1618
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Miami street race for October 2019 to be approved in the next day or so?

Miami in October. Should be interesting.
Is there a source for this please?
Old 3 May 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3819207)   #1619
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...ly-season.html
Old 3 May 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3819227)   #1620
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I'm a bit skeptical of another street race. IndyCar did similar a few years ago and it back fired. Baltimore was unpopular with fans and drivers alike and Boston turned out to be a non event.

Does F1 need another street race? Monaco is the jewel in the crown for F1, despite all the inherent problems. Singapore produces a good night race and recently added Baku has proved to be a fantastic venue. What if Miami turns out to be a dud?
Old 3 May 2018, 19:41 (Ref:3819233)   #1621
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
You can't get as close to a major city here as F1 is demanding to be without going to a street race. I don't think they're going to try another roval, and Bernie stayed in Chicago anyway when F1 was at Indy, because Indianapolis wasn't considered to be up to his standards. We also know what they'd do to any existing road course, which they're not going to do since they already have a purpose-built one of those.

Yes, the 2002 and 2003 layouts at Miami were pretty bad. However, the 1986-95 course was rather good. Baltimore actually drew fairly well; as for the drivers, the series needed to be more on top of some things to further improve the track. Looking at the tracks on Pratt months ahead of time, instead of on race weekend, would have helped quite a bit. As it was, they did move Turn 5 down a ways for 2012-13, which provided scope for another genuine overtaking zone.

As for Boston, some in the city administration decided to play 11th-hour shenanigans with what clearances the series needed for the race. The track layout itself looked at least decent, if not fairly good.

And speaking of destination cities, I know F1 wouldn't use it because they want to be on The Strip, but the layout for the 2007 ChampCar race in Las Vegas was good.

If it gets to that stage, I'm willing to wait to see a course layout before passing judgment on how the racing is likely to be.
Old 3 May 2018, 19:51 (Ref:3819236)   #1622
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Thanks.
Old 3 May 2018, 20:00 (Ref:3819239)   #1623
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Does F1 need another street race? Monaco is the jewel in the crown for F1, despite all the inherent problems. Singapore produces a good night race and recently added Baku has proved to be a fantastic venue. What if Miami turns out to be a dud?
I haven't put much thought into this, but my gut tells me that if they want to increase the US fan base than a street race in a large metro area is likely to work better than racing at an existing or new purpose built track (aka COTA).

My thought here is that you are not focusing on trying to attract/convert existing US race fans, but rather bring in new ones with the general atmosphere (if done right) that would came about via the race weekend. However, I think that a key part of this would be to make attendance cheap so as to get people off the fence and come and watch. Price it high and it will fail.

As to if it turns out to be a dud... Well, they gotta try. Put forth a good effort and see if it flies or not. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Richard
Old 3 May 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3819243)   #1624
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
You can't get as close to a major city here as F1 is demanding to be without going to a street race. I don't think they're going to try another roval, and Bernie stayed in Chicago anyway when F1 was at Indy, because Indianapolis wasn't considered to be up to his standards. We also know what they'd do to any existing road course, which they're not going to do since they already have a purpose-built one of those.

Yes, the 2002 and 2003 layouts at Miami were pretty bad. However, the 1986-95 course was rather good. Baltimore actually drew fairly well; as for the drivers, the series needed to be more on top of some things to further improve the track. Looking at the tracks on Pratt months ahead of time, instead of on race weekend, would have helped quite a bit. As it was, they did move Turn 5 down a ways for 2012-13, which provided scope for another genuine overtaking zone.

As for Boston, some in the city administration decided to play 11th-hour shenanigans with what clearances the series needed for the race. The track layout itself looked at least decent, if not fairly good.

And speaking of destination cities, I know F1 wouldn't use it because they want to be on The Strip, but the layout for the 2007 ChampCar race in Las Vegas was good.

If it gets to that stage, I'm willing to wait to see a course layout before passing judgment on how the racing is likely to be.
The upshot is none of those races is still on the calendar and there were also those two double headers in Houston that came and went.

I always felt that adding street courses to the series calendar was a panacea, to help IndyCar post unification, rather than deal with what was wrong with the series and this seems to be similar. Because Baku has been such a success, let's have another F1 street race, rather than sort the issues facing F1. So hence my skepticism. Of course, the layout does need to be seen. I hope they don't use the Champ Car layout.
Old 3 May 2018, 20:37 (Ref:3819250)   #1625
S griffin
Veteran

But the question is, would it replace Austin?