Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jul 2013, 03:55 (Ref:3274105)   #1
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Who is Reponsible for Mercedes Current "Success"?

Norbert Haug has not ruled out a return to the F1 paddock!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns25809.html

The article raises the question as to who is responsible for the current success at Mercedes.

The "old guard" or the current bloated management structure?
Old 5 Jul 2013, 09:12 (Ref:3274165)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am sure that there are many people who will tell you it is all down to a new driver joining the team.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 09:12 (Ref:3274166)   #3
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Pirelli
Old 5 Jul 2013, 09:34 (Ref:3274173)   #4
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd say a combination of factors, ranging from being a full blown chassis and engine manufacturer, having two excellent drivers, some complex and random variables deliberately thrown in by the tire supplier which have thrown a number of teams of course, and some genuine genius behind the pit wall which is even able to shine through a bloated management structure.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3274178)   #5
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pity Michael wasn't around now to reap the benefits. They go from best car in the field, to 3 years of crappiness then back to best in the field if they continue their current pace.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3274196)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
ranging from being a full blown chassis and engine manufacturer,
Ah yes - the Tyrell Ilmor

When they were Brawn they had a Honda $$$$$ developed car and won. The first year they were Mercedes they had a Brawn $ developed car and it was a bit crap. Now they have a Mercedes $$$$$ developed car and it's good. Over simplistic I know (otherwise Toyota would have won stuff) but it's at least half the story. The current structure does look top heavy though doesn't it?
Old 5 Jul 2013, 11:20 (Ref:3274203)   #7
jedrinck
Racer

jedrinck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's just a case of the chassis designers getting it right, plus maybe some barely legal mid season tire testing. Nothing against Hamilton, but it's not like they had 2 poor drivers before.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 13:00 (Ref:3274256)   #8
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think they're finally getting there, no matter the reason, but I think it's the package.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 14:26 (Ref:3274296)   #9
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The FIA for letting them get away with an illegal tyre test.

Here's hoping the "new" rubber blows up in their face, without hurting anyone of course.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 14:48 (Ref:3274304)   #10
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely anybody other than Hamilton.

In all seriousness it will be a combination of factors. primarily lead by Mercedes's board desire to win and throw substantial investment at the team to "make it so" which then allows the procurement of the best staff (be they drivers, designers or teaboys).
Old 5 Jul 2013, 15:07 (Ref:3274307)   #11
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Pirelli
Initially, I thought that was a sarcastic/trolling answer. Having thought about it, I think it might be the right answer. Or at least a significant part of the answer at least.
Old 5 Jul 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3274343)   #12
Zico
Racer

Zico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
Initially, I thought that was a sarcastic/trolling answer. Having thought about it, I think it might be the right answer. Or at least a significant part of the answer at least.
Probably too simplistic but apart from the dodgy test, I suspect the fragile Pirelli's may actually be holding Merc back more than others... if their one lap pace is anything to go by.

Mercs success is no doubt a culmination of many different factors. Don't they have the largest budget on the grid to attract the very best possible talent for every crucial position in the team?

No disrespect to Lewis as he is definitely one of the quickest guys on the grid but I fully believe Merc would be doing just as well if they still had MS on board. Mike must be well peeved every other weekend at how good the Merc is now.

Old 5 Jul 2013, 21:26 (Ref:3274439)   #13
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regardless who is responsible....it is a very fast turn around.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 16:57 (Ref:3274625)   #14
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's awesome to see Mercedes back to the front... I don't think it's just Pirelli.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3274637)   #15
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Here's hoping the "new" rubber blows up in their face, without hurting anyone of course.
I reckon I always felt it a bit shameful to actively wish ill will upon teams or drivers. I can't say that I've never done it, but I try not to. For example, I'd love for Lewis to win the race tomorrow, but I'm not going to wish for Vettel's engine to randomly blow or for a bizarre pit stop blunder to result in all four of his tires unexpectedly falling off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke g28 View Post
Absolutely anybody other than Hamilton.
It's cool to hate on the top competitors, evidently.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 17:59 (Ref:3274641)   #16
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post
I reckon I always felt it a bit shameful to actively wish ill will upon teams or drivers. I can't say that I've never done it, but I try not to. For example, I'd love for Lewis to win the race tomorrow, but I'm not going to wish for Vettel's engine to randomly blow or for a bizarre pit stop blunder to result in all four of his tires unexpectedly falling off.
I tend to agree although partly it's just that I don't want to see Vettel a victim of circumstance, I want to see him beaten fair and square By Kimi, Rosberg, Lulu, anyone really!

We can all dream.
Old 6 Jul 2013, 19:57 (Ref:3274663)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I tend to agree although partly it's just that I don't want to see Vettel a victim of circumstance, I want to see him beaten fair and square By Kimi, Rosberg, Lulu, anyone really!

We can all dream.
Good, I like it, so who is Lulu ?
Old 7 Jul 2013, 08:09 (Ref:3274787)   #18
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
http://www.headtotoeshop.co.uk/media...u_catagory.jpg
Old 7 Jul 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3274814)   #19
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Pity Michael wasn't around now to reap the benefits.
Yeah...Real shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
They go from best car in the field, to 3 years of crappiness then back to best in the field if they continue their current pace.
I think you may've exposed Michael!
Old 7 Jul 2013, 15:57 (Ref:3274912)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Good, I like it, so who is Lulu ?
Nickname for Hamilton, in these parts.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3274916)   #21
Good Times
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey / Texas
Good Times should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren & Ferrari
Old 7 Jul 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3274920)   #22
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surprised to see theres no one who slightly suspects that Michael just might of had something to do with it!
Old 7 Jul 2013, 16:22 (Ref:3274923)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Times View Post
McLaren & Ferrari
McLaren & Ferrari, what?

Hamilton is still upset about Pirelli's tyres, but this time it's because they just didn't work on the Mercs. He seems hopeful that the Hungarian spec tyres will bring forth better results, but the 2012 Pirelli tyres never really did Merc any favours back then.

So, it could easily be argued that Mercedes didn't gain anything from the tyre test in Barcelona.
Old 7 Jul 2013, 16:23 (Ref:3274925)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Nickname for Hamilton, in these parts.
I thought it was Britney?
Old 7 Jul 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3274929)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I thought it was Britney?
AFAIK, it's definitely Lew Lew.