Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 May 2009, 12:58 (Ref:2457243)   #26
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this all goe's as well as your trying to make it go Ken,obviously a massive effort going on behind the scene's.Santana get my vote over the PCDs though,PCD/isnt that the stud hole pattern ?
Old 7 May 2009, 14:17 (Ref:2457282)   #27
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Hey Ken weve got some racers on here that play the guitar.They could allways do the warm up. Im getting very excited.
Old 7 May 2009, 15:04 (Ref:2457299)   #28
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
eclectic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jamming with Carlos?

David Gilmour and Eric Clapton are both Ferrari fans, whose betting that we get one or the other?

Steve McQueen.
Old 7 May 2009, 15:24 (Ref:2457303)   #29
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
aren't messrs Rea and Knopfler as well?
Old 7 May 2009, 15:26 (Ref:2457304)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Listen you lot, as one who was on the IOW during "that" event, can I ask you to get back in the bath chairs and welcome Ken to our community?
Old 7 May 2009, 15:28 (Ref:2457305)   #31
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Which IoW Festival? Dylan, The Band, Dr John and Jefferson Airplane? 1970 or so?

Or Glastonbury the year before?

Or Floyd in the Chelmsford Corn Exchange before they released The Piper, 1967?

I was there............

Steve McQueen.
Old 7 May 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2457310)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic View Post
Which IoW Festival? Dylan, The Band, Dr John and Jefferson Airplane? 1970 or so?
The Weight.............................

Yep, I had hair and I told my mum I was going to Hayling Island with some friends. Three days later and very muddy, I wasn't popular, but for a teenager...................................................

BTW. I can watch the PCD DVD as many times as you want.
Old 7 May 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2457312)   #33
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm with you there Peter - very easy on the eye! Does anyone have any photos from yesterdays media day to get us salivating and very sorry to hear about Lotus
Old 7 May 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2457321)   #34
Derwent Motorsp
Veteran

Scotland
Cumbria
Derwent Motorsp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having been organising for more than 30 years, I can remember a number of clubs getting into trouble with the MSA for issuing entry forms and or regulations before the event permit (and thus the approval of the regulations) was issued.
However it now seems that more and more "commercial" organisations get in on the act and think the rules are not for them.
Not really sure what the reference is to "licencing". To organise a meeting you need to be an MSA affiliated club and have the required permit and I would think that the HSCC will be doing that.
Old 7 May 2009, 17:48 (Ref:2457373)   #35
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Prichard Jones View Post
We chose the PCDs because of the Motor Sport connection and because we wanted to reach out to a younger audience.
Younger audience yes, but appealing to embryos is a tad OTT. BTW who are Santana.
Old 7 May 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2457398)   #36
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Chris Rea drove a Lotus in the guards trophy at Donington last month so he should be there anyway. BTW, I'm not knocking the decision to book the PCD's -after all, the organisers are trying to appeal to a wide audience. I remember when Rockingham booked 50 Cent (american gangster rapper), the audience changed somewhat! And Blue will appeal to the mums!!
Old 7 May 2009, 18:40 (Ref:2457412)   #37
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I have sent about 3 Grand in entry fees so I was never worried as knew who was responsible for the dosh.
If any group get people through the gate it's worthwhile as it's UK's premier open Historic Race weekend.The F1 gang will turn up hoping to see LH and does anyone know if JB's latest squeeze sings or does anything else?There's an open question.
Old 7 May 2009, 19:04 (Ref:2457429)   #38
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Apparently her name in Japanese is "Side Walk".
Old 7 May 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2457433)   #39
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spose it must do something usefull John,it might even know how to wash his race sock's after quali.
Old 7 May 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2457448)   #40
Ken Prichard Jones
Rookie

Ken Prichard Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many thanks for your welcome. We are embargoed on the revelation of the persons who want to join CS on stage and it is subject to his prior approval. Did any of you come to the Media Day yesterday and what did you think about the programme for SC09 and the background?
Old 7 May 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2457462)   #41
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Well Ken,

At least my worries have led you to this excellent Forum and stirred up a good discussion, all good publicity, directed right at the most active competing, marshaling and spectating individuals.

I had no idea who was behind these four race grids, only Goose Communications are mentioned on the website, it is easier to buy tickets to the concerts on the website than to get the information needed to enter the races!

The website is excellent publicity for the public, but not so good for potential entrants.

I do think your package of Music and Motorsport is a good one, like Pink Floyd last year, or the year before, at the French GP.

It certainly might be very good PR to offer Marshals and Officials a concert ticket, it would be a good reward and ensure a sufficiency of volunteers in future years.

Steve McQueen.
Old 7 May 2009, 19:54 (Ref:2457480)   #42
Ken Prichard Jones
Rookie

We are offering marshalls concert tickets at a discount. In addition, we are installing a tent in the marshalls' compound with several kegs of beer and plastic jugs so the marshalls can have free beer each night. Further we have agreed with the HSCC to increase the marshalls' per diem for the Saturday when the day is a long one. Santana will only start after the racing is over so the marshalls can be at the concert for him although we are negotiating with a couple of great support acts who will not mind playing while the WSM dusk race is still in progress. Lights sweeping round the track, screaming engines and rock - could be the hour of the year!
Old 7 May 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2457491)   #43
eclectic
Racer

Scotland
Glasgow, Scotland.
Good! Great! Especially for the marshals.

I marshal from time to time, when I'm not competing, because I believe every driver should know what it looks and feels like from the marshals point of view and that drivers should 'put something back'.

Every time I have been amazed at the dedication of the regular marshals who spend a lot of money driving across the country every weekend to enable race meetings to happen.

Anything that makes the marshals feel more appreciated will be for the good of our sport, so thank you Ken.

Incidentally, even senior officials like scrutineers have to PAY the MSA for their annual licence. I think that is crazy, no wonder they are short of scroots.

Steve McQueen.
Old 7 May 2009, 20:54 (Ref:2457519)   #44
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks guys for the kind words and nice gestures,
I'm sure they will be very much appreciated. Really looking forward tio this, especially as it's me birthday on the 25th.
Hope to see lots of you at the weekend.
Old 7 May 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2457551)   #45
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All sounds good and very much appreciated Ken. I'm having a small op on my legs 3 weeks before the event so hoping to be fully recovered by then, although I may have to request a different duty to my normal incident role!
Old 8 May 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2457786)   #46
Ken Prichard Jones
Rookie

Hope all goes well with the op. We are all very aware of and grateful for the role of all the marshalls and are hoping to make this event one to remember for them as well as all the competitors and the spectators. If the leg is troublesome, you may need to cadge a lift on a Harley to see all the sights in the breaks. There will be plenty about including around 1500 on a parade lap.