Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Apr 2016, 00:36 (Ref:3629159)   #1
michael223344
Rookie

michael223344 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to fix the sport?

Hi,
Hope this finds you well

I am a current year 12 student doing research project on spectator enjoyment in formula one and how the sport can be made more entertaining and appareling to viewers across the globe. To help in my Research I have constructed a short 10 question survey, 9 of these Questions are multiple choice and one requires a write answer.

It would be most appreciated if you could conduct this survey, and help get to the bottom of the problem!
(Link below)
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MGBPGD7

Thanks-You
Regards Michael.G
Adelaide, Australia
Old 1 Apr 2016, 07:48 (Ref:3629192)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Might be interesting to turn this into a discussion too.
Old 1 Apr 2016, 17:23 (Ref:3629344)   #3
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Follow Indycar's lead
Old 1 Apr 2016, 17:54 (Ref:3629349)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
Follow Indycar's lead
But we already have hideous cars that sound poor!
Old 9 Apr 2016, 02:50 (Ref:3631363)   #5
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Poor sound" could not be a disadvantage, in favour to avoid potential environmental protests.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3632171)   #6
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Claire Williams has been speaking about F1 qually and how F1 must not experiment in public again. She also said that something needs to be done to stop F1's declining audiences.
http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123725

I think they should start by going back to FTA TV and reduce the cost to the punter attending a GP even Bernie has said it is not value for money. Not as if he has any influence over what the circuits need to charge to break even running a GP let alone make a profit.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3632193)   #7
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
given a choice between FTA or free broadcasts over the internet (akin to what other sports are moving towards - NFL on Twitter and MLB and NHL on Yahoo Sports) which would you choose/prefer?

if this is about greatest audience size then one needs to take into account that people (particularity young people) are watching on a variety of devices these days...im not convinced FTA would have the same impact as it once did.

probably splitting hairs though as a free broadcast is a free broadcast and it doesnt need to be one or the other. a comprehensive approach using both methods is whats needed really.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 10:30 (Ref:3632284)   #8
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Having both would be best.

If away from home (or if you prefer regardless), you could watch the web feed. while at home, nothing would beat watching on a nice and large TV screen.

IMSA and Blancpain stream all races via their own website, so it can be done. Both have been doing that for quite a few years.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 11:55 (Ref:3632298)   #9
Another Bob
Racer

Australia
The Land Of More Then One Crow
Another Bob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Free To Air or not Free to Air, that is the question.

Not really. The question is more complex then that.

I utterly refuse to pay Fox, Sky, whoever, a single red cent for any of the rubbish they bundle their F1 sports channels with.

After nearly 40 years of being a dedicated and very active fan I will walk away.

Totally walk away. That's how angry I'm getting.

I'm not saying I want it all for nothing. I don't mind paying, but, I refuse to line someones pockets for crap I don't want. Simple as that really.

Charge me for access to a motor sports channel that shows F1 and hey presto, I'd be the first to sign up.

Cable, Dish or Streaming, Pay per View, I don't mind.

A reasonable price for a good coverage, live, of all the practice seasons, qualifying, and the race and I'd be a happy camper.

Keep this policy up of "highlights" a day later for free to air and stupid "bundling" exorbitant pricing policy for pay TV and F1 TV audiences will plummet.

They are now, have been for a while. A good indicator that I know I'm not alone with the way I feel.

Audiences walk, then the sponsors, then the team owners. F1 corp then becomes a worthless hunk of useless nothing.

Remember, F1 as a commodity is all smoke and mirrors. In a real sense their is no "Capital" infrastructure that you can sell. Its a fad, dream, wish, desire a pleasurable experience. Not a office block made of bricks and mortar in the middle of Manhattan you can sell to someone.

A whole bunch of people running F1 need to give themselves a shake and get that concept in their heads.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 13:03 (Ref:3632317)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We already have discussions about the TV coverage. I would think this thread is about the sport itself not how it is viewed. What do you want to see changed (if anything)? Personally I'd want to return to affordable normally aspirated or turbo charged engines, proper gearboxes, fat tyres etc. Giving privateers the opportunity to enter.

That's what this discussion is really about IMO.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3632337)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Races are extremely boring because of excessive downforce and turbulences. DRS is a terrible patch. Fans want drivers to fight for position, not to overtake each other by pressing a button.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 15:08 (Ref:3632338)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Also, small teams have to spend dozens of millions each year to build new cars, which are inevitable slower than the top cars.

Manufacturers should sell customer cars to small teams. They may still have a disadvantage, but at least they would be much cheaper than now.

Also, tech rules should not change every year. Rule stability reduces costs and encourages parity.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 15:33 (Ref:3632343)   #13
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I await the arrival of the olds that say the cars need zero wings.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 16:25 (Ref:3632352)   #14
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
I await the arrival of the olds that say the cars need zero wings.
I can do a good parody of certain types on this forum! That includes any number of contradictory concepts ranging from full on highly restrictive "throwback" spec (that defines almost every aspect of the car) mixed in with "design freedom" to do whatever they want (not sure how to make both work!) to "no aero" and "underbody aero" at the same time. I like to call it "Historic Racing" or "Rose Colored Glasses F1". Here it goes (not meaning to offend anyone)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Colored Glasses... a devoted fan who loves (or loved) F1, but just can't watch it anymore because it is so damn boring
Just take the wings off the damn things? It was good enough back in the day with plenty of close racing! And while we have removed those evil wings, give them back underbody stuff. Who wants flatbottom cars!. None of this DRS clap trap. If you want to pass, just push down the pedal on the right! Flappy paddle shifting? Pish posh... give them H shift gear boxes! Might cause a few missed shifts, so lets see some engines blow up. They just need a few pedals, a shift lever and an empty wheel so no electronics in the car. Just a generator, coil, distributor and some spark plugs! And for power, bring back the DFV V8! Make Ferrari use them as well! Run as much fuel as you care. Oh, and give them some big cast iron brake rotors, but with wheels so big and sticky you can't even see the rest of the car! And at the same time, let them do whatever they want design wise. Don't be forced to play by other people's rules. Make something new and stick it to the other guy! Maybe Nuclear power or something and great big fans to suck your car the the ground, but no wings! And budget caps! Don't get me started. Let them spend as much as they want. No limits on ANYTHING. But by God, why do they need so many engineers. Limit those for sure. And OMG, no canopies on the cockpits! Tradition! Don't forget tradition! Racing is dangerous. If you don't like it, don't do it. If you don't like to see anyone get killed, don't watch it.

EVERYONE will be competitive and ANYONE could win. This is exactly how I remember it being years ago! Nothing you say can prove me wrong!

Richard

Last edited by Richard C; 13 Apr 2016 at 16:31.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 18:21 (Ref:3632396)   #15
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
haha

to true. for myself, there are at least four things in there that i have been known to advocate.

funny and appropriate rant and it put a smile on my face.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3632402)   #16
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
for myself, there are at least four things in there that i have been known to advocate.
Well... I can say I can't think of a single regular here that fits that mold exactly, but if you just combined a few together it would. And I am sure someone could parody my positions as well. If I have time I might even do that myself as an opposing view point! I have no problem arguing with myself!

Richard
Old 14 Apr 2016, 03:03 (Ref:3632484)   #17
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oi, go easy I resemble nearly all of that!
Old 14 Apr 2016, 04:06 (Ref:3632490)   #18
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK. This old fart pleads guilty, Richard!
But seriously I think we are missing the point in confining this to F1 rather than thinking of the sport as a whole.
Football is as much about kids kicking a ball around on a playground or on the street as it is about the EPL, Euro League or World Cup. That is the base of it's popularity.
Our current base is Karts. We need to both expand the availability of that and at the same time lower the entry level.
The technology is there in Xbox, Nitendo, and games programs on phones computers and other platforms which have now become part of most kids lives.
What needs to be developed is a path from the games screen to Karts so that as many kids who graduate from kicking a ball with their mates to school or junior club football have a path to graduate to their local Kart circuit.
Nissan have shown the way in part, but it needs to be developed at a much lower level.
Those who participate will become core fans even if they go no further in the game.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 12:40 (Ref:3632611)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Just open up the rules completely, and accept that F1 is a political, financial and engineering competition, and little else!

Interesting to see how long it takes before the fans stop watching and the sponsors start leaving.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 14:47 (Ref:3632649)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
OK. This old fart pleads guilty, Richard!
But seriously I think we are missing the point in confining this to F1 rather than thinking of the sport as a whole.
Football is as much about kids kicking a ball around on a playground or on the street as it is about the EPL, Euro League or World Cup. That is the base of it's popularity.
Our current base is Karts. We need to both expand the availability of that and at the same time lower the entry level.
The technology is there in Xbox, Nitendo, and games programs on phones computers and other platforms which have now become part of most kids lives.
What needs to be developed is a path from the games screen to Karts so that as many kids who graduate from kicking a ball with their mates to school or junior club football have a path to graduate to their local Kart circuit.
Nissan have shown the way in part, but it needs to be developed at a much lower level.
Those who participate will become core fans even if they go no further in the game.
a very good point, one which you have made before and a concept that really should generate more attention. support at the grassroots level is massively important in creating long term/life long support. basically its a way to bolster future viewing numbers. and frankly F1 would benefit from the goodwill.

so yeah totally fair question...with all the money FOM/CVC are making how much do they spend encouraging/subsidizing the youngest generation to get involved in motorsports?

certainly all other major sports leagues spend quite a bit of time and money promoting participation in the hope that some will grow up to be the next great superstar while ensuring that those who dont remain fans of the sport for life.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 04:19 (Ref:3632826)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
In the UK they leave it to the BRDC and look what happens with them.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 04:42 (Ref:3632827)   #22
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
In the UK they leave it to the BRDC and look what happens with them.
The BRDC would seem to be spending all its income subsidising BE and CVC by running the UK GP.
A classic example of mis-spent income.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 04:55 (Ref:3632828)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
My point in one.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 22:39 (Ref:3633498)   #24
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Also, small teams have to spend dozens of millions each year to build new cars, which are inevitable slower than the top cars.

Manufacturers should sell customer cars to small teams. They may still have a disadvantage, but at least they would be much cheaper than now.

Also, tech rules should not change every year. Rule stability reduces costs and encourages parity.
What needs to happen is revenue shared equally among teams - then everyone can start on level footing.

Too many rules and penalties on what can and can't be done to a car. Stop being so restritive on what you can develop the car and bring back in season testing - how's a team going to get better if they can't do much with the cars?

If the rule isn't there for safety reason then you don't need it.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 00:03 (Ref:3634246)   #25
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 was always an engineering formula rather than a series to see which driver is the highest skill one. I'll argue that the performance gap between the cars is actually smaller now than it ever was. F1 is fine IMO. It's exciting, great stuff actually