Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Oct 2016, 16:11 (Ref:3682516)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Malaysia may give up F1 GP

Interesting piece on motorsport.com on Malaysia mulling over the future of the F1 GP.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ma...1-race-842575/

Some of the key points they raise are:

'Razlan said Formula 1 was no longer an exciting sport and that the country should re-consider the future of the grand prix.

"I think the product [F1] is no longer exciting. It's being dominated by one team."

Malaysia's minister of youth and sports Khairy Jamaluddin, meanwhile, called for the country to give up the Formula 1 race and instead focus on MotoGP, which he said was much more affordable.
"I think we should stop hosting the F1. At least for a while. Cost too high, returns limited," Jamaluddin said on Twitter.
"When we first hosted the F1 it was a big deal. First in Asia outside Japan. Now so many venues. No first mover advantage. Not a novelty.'
Hmmm, I wonder if that will get some of BE's other host countries thinking....
Old 24 Oct 2016, 16:17 (Ref:3682518)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes I read this this morning, the hosting fees are to high of course as we all know ..
Hopefully once BE is gone some of these problems will be solved, while promoters continue to bow to his wishes I don't see much changing ..
Old 24 Oct 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3682547)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i understand his complaints, even share his sentiments, but im curious to know if anyone in his gov't appreciates him calling F1 boring when the team that is currently dominating carries a rather hefty sponsorship partnership from said country's national oil and gas company?

love the fact that the article carries a picture which features several Petronas banners in it yet no mention of that company's links to F1 and the Malaysian gov't in the article.

more to this story or just a puff piece?
Old 24 Oct 2016, 18:02 (Ref:3682548)   #4
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i understand his complaints, even share his sentiments, but im curious to know if anyone in his gov't appreciates him calling F1 boring when the team that is currently dominating carries a rather hefty sponsorship partnership from said country's national oil and gas company?

love the fact that the article carries a picture which features several Petronas banners in it yet no mention of that company's links to F1 and the Malaysian gov't in the article.

more to this story or just a puff piece?
Petronas involvement is built around Mercedes and their oil supply to Mercedes road cars and the AMG models.
Old 24 Oct 2016, 18:26 (Ref:3682556)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Petronas involvement is built around Mercedes and their oil supply to Mercedes road cars and the AMG models.
sure and the F1 race is an opportunity to draw attention to that 'winning' relationship to the local population.

but with gas prices being down there are no doubt questions being asked about how a national oil and gas company's profits should be spent.

i could just be reading too much into it (its monday), but i feel like there is more to this story then just assessing the viability of this event in terms of entertainment value.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 11:24 (Ref:3682727)   #6
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the oil price where it is there are many countries that have an F1 race that will be feeling the pinch and the new owners need to consider their market position. BE was able to sell the deal to states like Malaysia, Abu Dhabi, even Brazil but for a race to continue in these changed market conditions the core interest in motor sport needs to be there as it is in the UK as the best example.
Old 25 Oct 2016, 16:48 (Ref:3682786)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel 21 races is too many, they should cap it at 19 and also have more races that are worth going to. Bring back the French GP
Old 27 Oct 2016, 08:36 (Ref:3683311)   #8
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I feel 21 races is too many, they should cap it at 19 and also have more races that are worth going to. Bring back the French GP
Yep, I wonder how viable Liberty's plan to grow the calendar actually is. How many countries out there want to spend $250M on a circuit that will gather dust for 360 days a year and spend another $80M per year on sanction fees - all for a vanity project really?
Old 27 Oct 2016, 11:21 (Ref:3683347)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
This is surely about money not lack of excitement. The latter is a smoke screen I would have thought.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 13:12 (Ref:3683371)   #10
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
This is surely about money not lack of excitement. The latter is a smoke screen I would have thought.
Not exactly, would be my conclusion. If you are paying many millions of dollars for what should an exiting and entertaining event, then you have every right to question the value for money when that excitement and entertainment is not provided. And especially so if your costs are not be covered by the income that is generated, whilst the "promoter" makes millions of dollars profit from every event without any risk whatsoever!
Old 27 Oct 2016, 13:40 (Ref:3683377)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
No one spends millions of dollars just for a bit of excitement. They spend it to generate alternative revenue for their country and businesses.

The article goes on to say that the real reason is that costs are too high and the returns are not there. Mayalsia have had a good run of races. However, other Asian races have since joined the F1 hosting party, meaning Malaysia's uniqueness has gone, somewhat. We should get used to new tracks coming and then dropping off the radar equally quickly, because a lot of them probably wont be in it for the long haul, and will be replaced by other short lived shiny circuits.
Old 27 Oct 2016, 15:11 (Ref:3683402)   #12
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
im of the opinion that Malaysia is getting a tremendous amount of value from F1 through Petronas branding via Mercs' success....more now then they received between 1999? and mercs first title anyways.

the domination that this minister is lamenting is the value his gov't is looking for no?
Old 31 Oct 2016, 07:08 (Ref:3684202)   #13
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sepang must be used for more series than just F1... Once the circuit had Formula Nippon, for example... More series in the circuit will be worthy for them.
Old 5 Nov 2016, 17:24 (Ref:3685550)   #14
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
A nation mourns.....But really - who cares ? Three locals watch the Grand Prix and a coach full of expats. It's a tedious track whose only endearing feature is its variable weather .
Old 5 Nov 2016, 22:13 (Ref:3685616)   #15
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
F1 is the same as any Business. Bernie is the rep. Customers come and go. New customers pour into a sieve and they slowly trickle out of the bottom. It's Bernie's job to keep pouring them into the sieve, and keep the flow going...
No difference in any Business, how big or small.
Why should you buy something again that loses you money after you've had it?
Crazy...
Old 6 Nov 2016, 11:19 (Ref:3685919)   #16
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the Singapore race has turned out to be more attractive to potential ticket buyers to watch F1 at in that part of the world than Sepang - especially since the 2 races are now being held at approximately the same time of the year?