Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Nov 2016, 16:27 (Ref:3691807)   #151
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I don't have favourite drivers anymore. I grew out of that a long time a go...
How sad as a fan! Is that really something you "grow out of"? Or just something some might loose along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
... but I do have drivers who I admire and don't admire, for their conduct on and off the track.
Isn't that sort of the same as having favorites?

Note, I am just poking fun at you. I suspect in a way I am more like you in that I have a bit of an internal scorecard for drivers with a list of pluses and minuses. I tend to "like" drivers that seem to be nice guys and personable off track and tend to "dislike" drivers who are jerks in some way (on or off track). Whining is a negative! Skill also counts, but oddly enough I tend to like those who have to work hard at it vs. those who seem to have a natural gift and may not work as hard as others. I also have a habit of cheering for the underdog (which can be a fluid characterization that changes from seasons to season, race to race).

With respect to Lewis and Nico, neither are in my top list of "favorites". I tend to like Nico a bit more than Lewis for various "scorecard" reasons. I admit I both cheered for Lewis loosing (character builder! ) and Nico winning (worked hard, kept eye on the ball and I like to see a variety in champions vs. dynastic winners). I have other drivers I would have rather seen at the front (such as Button which ticks most of my boxes, but that ship has sailed).

Richard
Old 28 Nov 2016, 17:37 (Ref:3691826)   #152
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Somebody may have mentioned this, but we keep being told, whether that is by the teams, the organisers and/or the media, that F1 is a team sport and that the drivers, mechanics, engineers, etc. are all part of that big family called the team. And if you go back through the history of F1, it has always been treated as being a team effort, and that it's policies were directed by the team bosses.

So, when, 50 or so years ago, the team boss put out a pit board for a driver to come into the pits, he did so immediately. And when the driver was told to hand his car over to his team-mate regardless of the championship standings, he did so. He may not have been happy - a huge understatement - but he followed instructions nevertheless.

In this instance, Mercedes had allowed the drivers to fight it out throughout the season (as they did all the prior years), but with just a few laps to go, they were concerned that not only was Hamilton backing Rosberg up to the following cars, but that by doing so he was putting the race win in jeopardy, and so they told him to pick up his pace.

The difference here was that with 5 laps to go, Hamilton had already come to the conclusion that he was highly unlikely to win the WDC no matter what he did, and he didn't care whether he won the last race of this year's championship. And that is what he told the team on the penultimate lap, basically I don't care because I'm not going to win the big prize.

That is a) not sportsmanlike and b) not being a team player.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:17 (Ref:3691840)   #153
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Lewis is out there to race, Nico is out there to race and not have Lewis park his car while Nico drives by ..
Lewis is not the property of Paddy or Toto Wolf , it's hard to beat someone like Lewis Nico that's why he is 3 times world champion ...
Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:19 (Ref:3691842)   #154
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2GRX7 View Post
REALLY?!!REEEALLLY?!! Yes, Hamilton didn't speak to him in the post-staging room, but he sure didn't throw a hat back at him, now did he (U.S.GP 2015)? I remember seeing Hamilton congratulating Nico TO THE WORLD while on the PODIUM! Didn't see that happen last year from Nico!

So many like you see/remember the actions you want to, purely to justify "your" way of approaching life instead of questioning your own and understanding the others'.

Yup, you're basically that contributing "one drop in a sea" of increasing world-wide intolerance. Way to go!
Also made a point of going over to Nico in parc fermé and giving him a pat on the back and one of those "full helmet half hugs". In front of all the photographers, even.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:28 (Ref:3691845)   #155
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I don't think that's the case actually.

Like I said here before the race, it depends upon what Mercedes wants to achieve.

They have consistently said they wanted to get the best possible team result, and at the very least win the race (any race, not just this one)
While you and I, and Lewis and Nico were only concerned about who was going to be champion, I think Mercedes' prime objective was "we want to win the race".
Hence I think they told Lewis to speed up in order to assure that win, not to help Nico.
I don't think they had anything at stake and how many times has a Ferrari overtaken a Mercedes this year on pure pace?
Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:41 (Ref:3691850)   #156
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
the team also had the right to warn him and ask politely if he wouldn't mind pulling his finger out a bit.
If only they had used that exact wording...

bella, you talk a lot of sense. And regardless of who won the WDC or race, F1 is the winner. Perfect timing?
Old 28 Nov 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3691853)   #157
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back in the day the Ecclestone Brabhams never carried the driver names. Why? Because just like everybody else they were just employees. Today's heros would do well to remember that without their employers their lives would be very different - except Lance Stroll off course!
Old 28 Nov 2016, 20:26 (Ref:3691866)   #158
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I can't work out is why Lewis thought the tactic would work. He needed to win the race to be champion. If Vettel got passed Rosberg, Lewis would have to speed up to keep the lead. That would be allow Rosberg to pull away from the Red Bull, which was on much older tires and not looking likely to get past. Factoring in that both Verstappen and Vettel would be well aware that knocking Rosberg out the race wouldn't be good for their image, it seems very unlikely he would win the championship backing Nico up.

He'd have done more good for his image and reputation in the team to pull away to make the race safe and then set up the perfect one-two photo with Rosberg on the finish line. He'd have looked good winning the race and won serious points with the marketing types, both in MB and his own sponsors.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 21:13 (Ref:3691880)   #159
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post
What I can't work out is why Lewis thought the tactic would work. He needed to win the race to be champion. If Vettel got passed Rosberg, Lewis would have to speed up to keep the lead. That would be allow Rosberg to pull away from the Red Bull, which was on much older tires and not looking likely to get past. Factoring in that both Verstappen and Vettel would be well aware that knocking Rosberg out the race wouldn't be good for their image, it seems very unlikely he would win the championship backing Nico up.
Hard to say, but I suspect it had more a chance of working than you think (but still a longshot). While Vettel was charging it DID bunch them all up. That greatly increased the chance that someone (maybe both Vettel and Verstappen) could get past Rosberg. He needed Rosberg demoted to fourth. As to it putting Lewis at risk for not getting the required win... well... at least it would be up to him to defend first place from whoever may have gotten around Rosberg. He probably felt he had the pace to maintain his position regardless of what happened behind him and didn't have much to loose (other than respect of a percentage of those on this forum!) anyhow.

Richard
Old 28 Nov 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3691881)   #160
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Also by slowing down he wouldn't have stressed the tyres and possibly had enough to defend at the end
Old 28 Nov 2016, 21:31 (Ref:3691886)   #161
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The British press are really busting to see controversy Story Here

Imagine what would have happened had Mr Hamilton's plan worked
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Nov 2016, 21:38 (Ref:3691889)   #162
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
That greatly increased the chance that someone (maybe both Vettel and Verstappen) could get past Rosberg. He needed Rosberg demoted to fourth.
if vettel was close enough to get past you could bet your salary on verstappen having a look at the next possible or impossible opportunity. based on what we've learnt of the lad the past few seasons it's not even a question surely?

in all seriousness rosberg also said afterwards that hamilton was being very clever about it. he was backing him up in sectors 2 & 3 but firing it off into the distance in sector 1 so he couldn't get within drs and brick chucking distance.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 21:47 (Ref:3691890)   #163
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Football is a simple game. Twenty-two men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win. - Gary Lineker

Just like F1.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 22:21 (Ref:3691900)   #164
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
I thought LH's drive was one of the best he has done - tactically brilliant. Didn't pan out, but a really great drive.

On the other hand, for Merc to tell him to speed up, and effectively ruin the end to the season was one of the worst things they have ever done! In fact, really incomprehensible. They had literally nothing to lose to letting them race!

Anyone wanting LH to be sacked for producing one of the most exciting end of season races needs to find a different sport.

How about sailing? Oh hold on, some sailing does involved sailing deliberately slowly and interfering with your competitors, like the America's Cup for example....
Absolutely spot on.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3691908)   #165
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I can't believe anyone seriously thinks that if Vettel or Verstapen had got past Rosberg, Hamilton would have done anything other than set a few fastest laps to ensure that he got the win......

Still, never going to sway the views of the haters....
Old 29 Nov 2016, 00:51 (Ref:3691926)   #166
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
How sad as a fan! Is that really something you "grow out of"? Or just something some might loose along the way.

Isn't that sort of the same as having favorites?

Note, I am just poking fun at you. I suspect in a way I am more like you in that I have a bit of an internal scorecard for drivers with a list of pluses and minuses. I tend to "like" drivers that seem to be nice guys and personable off track and tend to "dislike" drivers who are jerks in some way (on or off track). Whining is a negative! Skill also counts, but oddly enough I tend to like those who have to work hard at it vs. those who seem to have a natural gift and may not work as hard as others. I also have a habit of cheering for the underdog (which can be a fluid characterization that changes from seasons to season, race to race).

With respect to Lewis and Nico, neither are in my top list of "favorites". I tend to like Nico a bit more than Lewis for various "scorecard" reasons. I admit I both cheered for Lewis loosing (character builder! ) and Nico winning (worked hard, kept eye on the ball and I like to see a variety in champions vs. dynastic winners). I have other drivers I would have rather seen at the front (such as Button which ticks most of my boxes, but that ship has sailed).

Richard
Lool.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 05:45 (Ref:3691958)   #167
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Lewis is out there to race, Nico is out there to race and not have Lewis park his car while Nico drives by ..
Lewis is not the property of Paddy or Toto Wolf , it's hard to beat someone like Lewis Nico that's why he is 3 times world champion ...
I don't think this is true. As Mike Harte said this is a team sport. Much like when Nico moved over in Monaco at the team's request to let Lewis past would it not have been fitting for Lewis to speed up (or park his car) when he realised he was not going to win.

I think Jackie Stewart summed it up nicely after he heard the radio chatter toward the end of the race when he said "Lewis should have chosen to lose with dignity".
Old 29 Nov 2016, 05:59 (Ref:3691961)   #168
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes it's a team sport to a certain degree, no man worth his salt would have rolled over and given the championship to Nico wikthout putting up a fight .
With the highest respect to Jackie Stewart, I think he is wrong at this moment ..
Old 29 Nov 2016, 08:50 (Ref:3691990)   #169
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes it's a team sport to a certain degree, no man worth his salt would have rolled over and given the championship to Nico wikthout putting up a fight .
With the highest respect to Jackie Stewart, I think he is wrong at this moment ..
as the Brits say, Lewis is just a prat.
Would you like a team mate to try to sabotage you ?
In any form of sport, maybe he should look up Tonya, kneecap you revival to win

Sorry LH has lost a lot of respect as a sportsman.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:16 (Ref:3691994)   #170
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
I think Jackie Stewart summed it up nicely after he heard the radio chatter toward the end of the race when he said "Lewis should have chosen to lose with dignity".
This is it. Lewis has behaved like a spoiled child all season. The conspiracy theory, the press conferences,etc. He did nothing wrong with backing Nico up per se but his whole attitude throughout the year was one of entitlement.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:17 (Ref:3691995)   #171
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Jeremy, I come from the same generation as Jackie, and I know exactly how he feels about this.

Furthermore, it's not a team sport to a certain degree; it's 100% a team sport. I earlier gave the example how 50 odd years ago drivers were called into the pits to hand their cars over. Well, up to this day, drivers and team personnel often repeat that their car only got across the line first, or whatever, because it was a team effort, right from the person sweeping the floors at the base to the driver of the car. You win and lose as a team, not as an individual.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:27 (Ref:3691999)   #172
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Jeremy, I come from the same generation as Jackie, and I know exactly how he feels about this.

Furthermore, it's not a team sport to a certain degree; it's 100% a team sport. I earlier gave the example how 50 odd years ago drivers were called into the pits to hand their cars over. Well, up to this day, drivers and team personnel often repeat that their car only got across the line first, or whatever, because it was a team effort, right from the person sweeping the floors at the base to the driver of the car. You win and lose as a team, not as an individual.
Felipe Massa leading his home Grand Prix, hands the win to his team mate allowing Kimi to become World Champion for Ferrari. That is what being part of a team is all about. Lewis drives a Mercedes, he is NOT a Mercedes driver.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:58 (Ref:3692008)   #173
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
As far as I'm concerned Lewis did the right thing in backing Rosberg up into the others - up until the point the team told him to speed up. At that point accept it's game over as far as the championship goes and leave them for dust. Lose with dignity.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3692010)   #174
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have read all sorts of comments,both here and elsewhere,about why the drivers did what they did and the common link is that every writer was commenting on the drivers and the team's input into the race.Having been associated with German engineers professionally and socially I have no doubt that they would have preferred the silver cars to be as far as possible in front of all other cars in order to clearly demonstrate the level of superiority that their efforts have achieved.Allowing a red car or a blue car to get past a silver car would have made it appear that the opposition had reduced the overwhelming advantage.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 10:13 (Ref:3692012)   #175
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This is it. Lewis has behaved like a spoiled child all season. The conspiracy theory, the press conferences,etc. He did nothing wrong with backing Nico up per se but his whole attitude throughout the year was one of entitlement.
I agree with you, the petulance etc., but I thought he redeemed himself to a certain extent on the podium.