Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jun 2008, 21:39 (Ref:2223099)   #26
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The penalties do seem inconsistent, but that discussion aside, Hamilton and Rosberg probably deserved penalties, because that was an extra danger they created in the pitlane.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 21:46 (Ref:2223111)   #27
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I was just thinking that - they didn't actually ignore the light because they never left the pitlane...
doesnt quite seem that way to me

Old 8 Jun 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2223114)   #28
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
The comparison between this incident and the Monaco one baffles me.

One's a driver losing control of his vehicle in treacherous conditions - the other is a driver paying no attention to the flags/lights/position of vehicles in front of him in a car he has total control of!
Yeah, so they're both driving mistakes that ended someone else's race. And it could be argued that Hamilton was at least confronted with an unusual situation (cars parked side-by-side in pit lane) whereas Kimi's came in the exact condition that they're paid to do.

Fact is, when Vettel crashed behind a safety car, he got no penalty. When Alonso braketested Coulthard, he got no penalty. When Schumacher pushed off Hill/Villeneuve/Hakkinen/Alonso, he got no penalty. And so on and so forth.

Alonso is 100 yards ahead of a Ferrari in practice - penalty. Hamilton hits a Ferrari - penalty.

The only question is whether it's pro-Ferrari or anti-McLaren.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2223124)   #29
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
The argument about ignoring lights isn't that valid. It would only be ignoring the light if you crossed the line that you weren't supposed to cross.
Watch the replay, I suspect that if Kimi wasnt there, lewis probably would have gone over the line anyway. If Lewis had stopped in time, then Rosberg would probably have gone into him still.

You know who I support, but in this case I think the penalty fits the crime. Its a simple rule. Red Light = Stop. Even Mrs Miggings down the road knows that one
Old 8 Jun 2008, 21:57 (Ref:2223125)   #30
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
When Schumacher pushed off Hill/Villeneuve/Hakkinen/Alonso, he got no penalty.
When Schumacher crashed into Villeneuve he got a ridiculously exaggerated penalty, disproving all FIA-Ferrari conspiracy theories in one move.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 21:58 (Ref:2223127)   #31
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alonso11
it does make sense, however, if its for hitting someone Im not sure why Nico got it then... he slightly hit the rear tire of someone causing zero damage to others and a relatively minor one to his ownself.
true, bit if Lewis had read his Highway Code and stopped, then Rosberg would have had an even bigger accident.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:04 (Ref:2223132)   #32
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
When Schumacher crashed into Villeneuve he got a ridiculously exaggerated penalty, disproving all FIA-Ferrari conspiracy theories in one move.
It is not really for this thread, but I assume you are joking right?
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:09 (Ref:2223137)   #33
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Stupid mistakes, Stupid pit lane rules, Stupid penalties.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2223139)   #34
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
What Knowlesy said. He didn't get a penalty at all.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2223141)   #35
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
It is not really for this thread, but I assume you are joking right?
I'm about as serious as the suggestion that the penalty against Hamilton is part of an anti-McLaren/pro-Ferrari conspiracy sounds.

(and yes, I think disqualifying him from the whole season was way harsh, but that's for another thread)

Last edited by Dead-Eye; 8 Jun 2008 at 22:14.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2223149)   #36
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Much though I support Hamilton, his behaviour seems so stupid and dangerous that the stewards could not possibly ignore his actions. Whether or not he crossed any line is pretty irrelevant.

Pay attention people; He drove into the back of a stationary car in the pit lane. Doh.

Jim
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2223151)   #37
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think anyone is disputing it was a dumb thing to let happen.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2223156)   #38
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Bit of an oldie though eh?
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2223157)   #39
PK Kart
Racer

England
Sussex
PK Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That is the funniest thing i've read on here for a long time.

One of the biggest delibarate attempted sporting cheats of all time went unpunished. The fact that he was not banned from a few races or points deducted for the next season goes a long way to proving all FIA Ferrari conspiracy theories.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2223159)   #40
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to add my personal thoughts here.

The lights at pit exit at the time of the accident were two flashing lights on the left hand side (they could have been red but looked more like amber) and FOUR constant blue lights on the right hand side.

Any driver half way down the pit line is unlikely to have seen the flashing lights as the blue lights are more visible at that point.

So, to penalise the drivers for ignoring lights would be incorrect IN MY VIEW as the lights were giving conflicting messages.

The stationary cars, however, were giving another message entirely. As Jim quite rightly says
Quote:
Pay attention people; He drove into the back of a stationary car in the pit lane. Doh.
. That's what the penalty has been given for. An avoidable accident in the pit lane. End of.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2223162)   #41
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Bit of an oldie though eh?
I wasn't the one who brought it up first...

@PK Kart: I think I've made my opinion on that clear in another thread here before, so I won't go into it again...as Knowlesy said, it's not what this thread is about. But claiming it went unpunished is simply not true, although obviously you and I agree that it wasn't punished the way it should have been

Last edited by Dead-Eye; 8 Jun 2008 at 22:31.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:31 (Ref:2223163)   #42
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of drivers ignored the red light last year at Montreal, I can't remember who but I think Massa was one of them. We could probably clear this up if we found out what penalties, if any, those drivers received and then decide on any inconsistancies and conspiracy theories.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2223164)   #43
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurekB
A couple of drivers ignored the red light last year at Montreal, I can't remember who but I think Massa was one of them. We could probably clear this up if we found out what penalties, if any, those drivers received and then decide on any inconsistancies and conspiracy theories.
Massa and Fisichella were both disqualified for driving through the read light.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2223165)   #44
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the penalties are justified, whimpering and not owning up that you made a mistake to ITV interviewer wasnt justified, think id have more respect if he just said "sorry mucked that one up, apologies to kimi, my bad"

pitlane light is there for a reason and is something he should be looking at as he exits the pitlane, which he clearly wasn't and lets face it as you pit from a safety car there is no way the train is going to be clear of the pit exit by the time you attempt to rejoin the track, therefore you should know your going to have to stop at the line. well thats my thoughts anyway

*grumbles something about us mortals getting 3 points and a £60 fine for skipping a red light and we dont even have to hit the car infront*
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:33 (Ref:2223166)   #45
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
The stationary cars, however, were giving another message entirely. As Jim quite rightly says . That's what the penalty has been given for. An avoidable accident in the pit lane. End of.
The same avoidable accident that Kimi and Alonso each had in Monaco? That's the problem. Whatever the circumstances they were all "avoidable accidents".
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:35 (Ref:2223167)   #46
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
... When Alonso braketested Coulthard, he got no penalty. .
just for the record, the stewarts investigated that incident, accessed Renault's telemetry and found nothing. Nando braked at precisely the same braking point during the laps before the incident.

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...es_art_id=6625

read it from the 4th paragraph onward in case you've spent year 2003 under a rock
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:41 (Ref:2223177)   #47
greenracer
Racer

Australia
greenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgreenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how was it that two cars were side by side kr and rk? I thought cars had to be single file once in the fast lane of the pit lane.maybe a penalty for kr for passing in pitlane.as for hamilton deserved penalty [car not running ] and rosberg's penalty should have been served during the race.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2223185)   #48
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenracer
and rosberg's penalty should have been served during the race.
How? It didn't seem like he'd still be able to score points, so a penalty wouldn't have had any effect.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2223187)   #49
James Elder
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northenden
James Elder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
I'd like to add my personal thoughts here.

The lights at pit exit at the time of the accident were two flashing lights on the left hand side (they could have been red but looked more like amber) and FOUR constant blue lights on the right hand side.

Any driver half way down the pit line is unlikely to have seen the flashing lights as the blue lights are more visible at that point.

So, to penalise the drivers for ignoring lights would be incorrect IN MY VIEW as the lights were giving conflicting messages.

The stationary cars, however, were giving another message entirely. As Jim quite rightly says . That's what the penalty has been given for. An avoidable accident in the pit lane. End of.
At last someone has mentioned the blue lights! Both me and my Dad saw these on the telly, but ITV (with two former drivers) didn't mention them - I've even gone onto Youtube and found a video which shows the blue lights.

There are three blue lights and one alternating red light. Regardless of Hamilton's mistake, think of what a driver sees - three blue lights versus one red light - three constant blues is bigger, so will be noticed more, so it is more likely that the blue light will be seen (especially if you are stuck behind other cars and if the team don't give their driver a heads-up).

It was a daft incident, but the FIA need to sort out their signalling - you shouldn't have such conflicting signals at this level.
Old 8 Jun 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2223198)   #50
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I like Hamilton as much as the next man, but he made a monumental gaffe today.

However, he did pay for it by losing an almost guaranteed victory and 10 points, therefore the penalty does seem unecessary.