Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Oct 2016, 11:36 (Ref:3683590)   #26
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Not WRX but when it comes to electric cars the coincidence is almost unreal ...

http://redbullglobalrallycross.com/n...s-2018-season/
Was just here to post that! Would think GRC would want more numbers in the Supercars before they start adding more classes... interesting move though. Do we think there is enough interest for the WRX to add an electric class as well, or will they wait to see how well the GRC does?
Old 28 Oct 2016, 12:46 (Ref:3683607)   #27
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the GRC have announced it already, I believe they will have a sort of monopoly on electric cars in rallycross. This opens up a whole new motorsport and market for electric engineering. Manufactures who are looking on electric cars for the future are probably very excited about this class. With the completely and utterly amazing timing of this announcement just days after Audi announced to focus on electric racing, I can't help but think they will have a car on the start line in 2018 in the US.
Old 28 Oct 2016, 13:23 (Ref:3683617)   #28
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I can't help but think they will have a car on the start line in 2018 in the US.
EKS GRC?...
Old 29 Oct 2016, 09:38 (Ref:3683796)   #29
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
EKS GRC?...
I hope not ...

However, Ekström said in a Swedsh podcast that he wanted to see electric cars in the future. He further said it could bring rallycross closer to the fans, all the way into city cores. Feels a bit odd since he don't seem to be a fan of GRC.

He was also critical of IMG because he thought that they didn't utilize the potential that is in rallycross.
Old 29 Oct 2016, 12:26 (Ref:3683828)   #30
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Electric rallycross cars make perfect sense. Lots of power from low speeds, short races, urban and natural venues...

I thought that electric rallycross cars could replace RX Lites, but Global Rallycross says that they will join the two classes.
Old 1 Nov 2016, 20:09 (Ref:3684617)   #31
CS1
Racer

CS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone heard rumours for next year?
dont even mention anything electric
Old 1 Nov 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3684634)   #32
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS1 View Post
Anyone heard rumours for next year?
dont even mention anything electric
Unfortunately not anything super interesting.

Ekström wants a three-year plan to keep competing, he don't want to do another season just for defending the title.

Hedström has two Polo's now from Marklund so it is absolutely something going on there. Maybe a whole WRX season? At least for 2018 according to his plans.

Volkswagen RX Sweden seems to be a bit unclear. Last year Kristoffersson Motorsport almost quit after the season but then Marklund came in with some money, uniting the teams.

Bryntesson is working on getting a drive in Supercar, no more details though.

Sebastian Eriksson is more interested in GRC than WRX, but he wants to do some round in WRX too see where he and the car stands compared to WRX. He believes though that it is just as competitive in GRC between the top drivers as it is in WRX.
Old 2 Nov 2016, 21:08 (Ref:3684862)   #33
CS1
Racer

Interesting that Ekstrom built 4 cars and didn't have a commitment moving forward
Can only imagine that he had financial input from Audi to build the second pair for promotional activity etc

Anyone know where solberg is heading? Must be a major manufacturer interested by now
Old 2 Nov 2016, 21:38 (Ref:3684872)   #34
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Interesting that Ekstrom built 4 cars and didn't have a commitment moving forward
Can only imagine that he had financial input from Audi to build the second pair for promotional activity etc

Anyone know where solberg is heading? Must be a major manufacturer interested by now
Ekström had commitment for two years 2014 and 2015. At the end of 2015 it was either shutting the program down or go for it even harder in 2016. So this year was kinda of a one-season thing.

The Audi's are based on the S2000 Skoda Fabia, so not entirely built from scratch. He must have built two more for this season though since EKS did not have another car when Marklund crashed in Höljes last year.

As for Solberg, very quiet ...
Old 2 Nov 2016, 21:52 (Ref:3684875)   #35
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't mind admitting that I'm a bit nervous about next year. The chatter this time of year was so much more positive and this year may have been the best year in terms of variety quality and quantity. Next year feels like it is tamping up for disappointment. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 9 Nov 2016, 13:40 (Ref:3686749)   #36
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Maybe something exciting for next season

https://www.facebook.com/OlsbergsMse...type=3&theater
Old 9 Nov 2016, 17:11 (Ref:3686794)   #37
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Looks shocking (pun intended)
Old 10 Nov 2016, 09:57 (Ref:3686936)   #38
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Press release from Albatec Racing confirms Finnish driver Jere Kalliokoski for a full European campaign next year:

http://emailmarketing.createsend.co....40EF23F30FEDED

As that is the first press release I have seen concerning driver line up for 2017, I'm starting the list!

Albatec Racing - Peugeot 208 - Jere Kalliokoski (Euro RX)
Old 12 Nov 2016, 10:06 (Ref:3687387)   #39
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
WRX Austria seems to be building new cars for next year.

https://www.facebook.com/worldrxteam...type=3&theater

Paulius Pleskovas is planning to do the ERX with a brand new Ford Fiesta.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...59473387494448
Old 14 Nov 2016, 19:27 (Ref:3688059)   #40
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Heard today that Robin Larsson probably won't do WRX next season because of rising costs and not being able to fully match the manufactures. For example, they have only done one test this season while Loeb and Hansen regularly tests with Peugeot Sport down in France.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 11:34 (Ref:3688226)   #41
CS1
Racer

Quote:
Heard today that Robin Larsson probably won't do WRX next season because of rising costs and not being able to fully match the manufactures. For example, they have only done one test this season while Loeb and Hansen regularly tests with Peugeot Sport down in France.
Thats a shame about Larsson he would do well in a funded car. he's nowhere to go either, cant see the ERC being attractive unless it raises its profile
Old 15 Nov 2016, 12:20 (Ref:3688233)   #42
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Heard today that Robin Larsson probably won't do WRX next season because of rising costs and not being able to fully match the manufactures.
Well that didn't take long did it? The inevitable rise in costs and the thinning of the grid has begun.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 12:42 (Ref:3688237)   #43
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Larsson has been achieving miracles, the team have a clever car and must be spending a fortune to compete at the same level.

Things will carry on for a time until ERC teams realise they are being fleeced, surely before long the few rounds they get will not be seen as enough and they will want 10 rounds or 12.

Right now they are nothing but a side show to make the entry look good, and surely, that eventually has to grate on sponsors, and teams.

They get a bit of coverage, but mainly on social media. Maybe that's enough, I don't know. If so it shows a total lack of ambition.

All you can hope is that someone can tempt them back into an ERC type series away from IMG, but I imagine that is going to contractually impossible and very very costly to the person trying it.

I hate to say I told you so, but the days of private driver and teams are long gone, the mainstay of rallycross for the last 40 years has been driven away by greed.

Progress some will say.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 14:31 (Ref:3688264)   #44
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Solberg has already talked about returning in 2017, hasn't he? There was a Mercedes rumour on ERC24 a few months ago, could that possibly be connected to Petter?

Quote:
That's a real shame, I hope that Larsson will do at least the European Championship and not disappear from rallycross altogether.

Last edited by tbtstt; 15 Nov 2016 at 14:48.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3688267)   #45
CS1
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Solberg has already talked about returning in 2017, hasn't he? There was a Mercedes rumour on ERC24 a few months ago, could that possibly be connected to Petter?

That's a real shame, I hope that Larsson will do at least the European Championship and not disappear from rallycross altogether.
Larsson's would be lost without rallycross theyve been around it for the best part of 20 years

Irony..... they were one of the best funded teams in mid 2000's when Lars was racing
Old 16 Nov 2016, 12:20 (Ref:3688487)   #46
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Irony..... they were one of the best funded teams in mid 2000's when Lars was racing
That was the line I was thinking along: will they still want to be involved with the sport if they are no longer at the highest level?

As you say though, there is such a history there I hope they run the European Championship!
Old 16 Nov 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3688503)   #47
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
From what I've heard they will still race next season, I don't know what they might do though. I guess they will do ERX and/or RallyX.
Old 17 Nov 2016, 11:23 (Ref:3688823)   #48
HoleInTheHedge
Rookie

European Union
HoleInTheHedge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reinis Nitiss twitter account shows some interesting news this morning!!!
#Renault
Old 17 Nov 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3688831)   #49
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInTheHedge View Post
Reinis Nitiss twitter account shows some interesting news this morning!!!
#Renault
RX Academy announced to take place in Finland. Nitiss, Heikkinen and Bakkerud will mentor the young drivers. One-make series with Renault Clios for drivers aged 24 and younger.

http://www.fiaworldrallycross.com/ar...my-launched-in
Old 22 Nov 2016, 17:49 (Ref:3690282)   #50
CS1
Racer

Rumour has it Solberg is going to announce something in next few weeks regarding next year - who is going to be the first to speculate.........?