Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Sep 2002, 09:58 (Ref:377817)   #26
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trust me, James is not forgotten..I will never forget him diving into the flames to pull Ronnie Peterson out.
Old 11 Sep 2002, 10:04 (Ref:377820)   #27
strad
Veteran

Attached Thumbnails
ronniemonza78.jpg  
Old 11 Sep 2002, 10:12 (Ref:377826)   #28
strad
Veteran

Here's to ya James.......
Attached Thumbnails
jhunt.jpg  
Old 17 Sep 2002, 23:34 (Ref:382942)   #29
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
are there any good Biographys on Hunt? can anyone who could keep up with him remember anything of the party years!
Although not terribly well edited, anyone would enjoy "James Hunt Against All Odds" by Eoin Young and James Hunt. It is primarily a race by race description of the incredible 1976 season. Probably one of the most dramatic F1 seasons ever! It also has excellent photos, including a series showing a young Hunt flipping his Formula Ford.

Even in death, Hunt was controversial. A Japanese newswire picked up the announcement of Hunt's death. However, the mention of Sean Connery, Hunt's friend and "James Bond" actor, got mistranslated into "James Bond has died" rather than "James Hunt has died". For several days, the Japanese thought Sean Connery was dead!

Not to mention Paul McCartney!

Last edited by Neil C; 17 Sep 2002 at 23:35.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 06:39 (Ref:383094)   #30
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK I won't mention Paul McCartney.

I've got that book.
Old 18 Sep 2002, 13:54 (Ref:383432)   #31
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what book, what mccartney?
Old 5 Feb 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3798620)   #32
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did I read now that both James brothers have now passed from heart related issues?
Old 5 Feb 2018, 10:02 (Ref:3798626)   #33
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
David died of a coronary in 2015, I think Pete passed away of cancer in 2013? AFAIK, his other brother Tim and his two sisters are still alive.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3798653)   #34
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had the pleasure of racing against James a few times when he still pedalled tin tops. And he often, for reasons best known to him, raced under an assumed name or the name of the owner of the particular car. A practice that he continued for a number of years.

The most memorable occasion for me was a race at Oulton, where he made a demon start in a Mini a few rows behind me. His problem in those days was that he was convinced that he could win the race or his class before the first corner, and, with his starts, that was sometimes a possibility.

However, on this particular day, nobody, myself included, would allow him to bully his way through, and the result was that he took to (or was forced onto) the grass on the inside. My last sight of him was his car flying through the air with the car on it's side as it hit, roof first, a tree that happened to be firmly planted there.

I also have memories of him clambering out of the back of small vans in the paddocks of circuits, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, when we turned up to sign on early in the morning. There was no doubting his absolute passion for motor racing in those days.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 18:09 (Ref:3798760)   #35
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s just a shame he went so young, he really had been a diamond and he was perhaps the best ex driver commentator ever. It was a big loss when he went so suddenly
Old 6 Feb 2018, 07:51 (Ref:3798892)   #36
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Funny driver really , rising almost without trace. He was pretty good in F3 but so were lots of others , and I first really noticed him as somebody to watch at an Oulton F2 race . But put him in a big bhp F1 and he was away - very much like Lauda's career trajectory.

Hunt was terrific from 73 to 77 but then declined almost overnight . As a man I didn't really warm to the public persona , and although his commentary work was good it would have been far better if he'd kept his personal axes to grind somewhere else . His rubbishing of Patrese at every opportunity was shameful .
Old 6 Feb 2018, 15:14 (Ref:3798994)   #37
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Funny driver really , rising almost without trace. He was pretty good in F3 but so were lots of others , and I first really noticed him as somebody to watch at an Oulton F2 race . But put him in a big bhp F1 and he was away - very much like Lauda's career trajectory.

Hunt was terrific from 73 to 77 but then declined almost overnight . As a man I didn't really warm to the public persona , and although his commentary work was good it would have been far better if he'd kept his personal axes to grind somewhere else . His rubbishing of Patrese at every opportunity was shameful .

Also you could say the same about our Nige, he only won one race in F3, and that was after the winner on the road was DQed.

I agree the vendetta against Patrese was unnecessary, but even he could give Riccardo credit where it was due. He even apologised during the 1991 Italian GP, when he suggested Riccardo made a ‘stupid mistake’ while leading, then when Jonathan Palmer interviewed him, Patrese said he had a gearbox problem. Hunt was also honest enough to admit the hunger had gone in his last season and a half (78-79)
Old 6 Feb 2018, 17:07 (Ref:3799025)   #38
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Mansell very much the same, D Hill too . And then you have the driver who walks on water in F3 but drowns in F1 - Dave Walker, Jan Magnussen to name but two.