Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:22 (Ref:2504160)   #1
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
F2 Brands Hatch

Just witnessed a horrific looking accident.

Jack Clarke crashed heavily at Westfield. Henry Surtees collected an errant wheel with his helmet. I'm presuming he was knocked-out at best as he then careered off the track at dingle-dell with the throttle stuck wide-open and visor open.

Shocking, shocking looking crash.

More news when it comes.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2504163)   #2
Keyfabe
Rookie

England
Leeds
Keyfabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
they have taken him out of the car now, it was a nasty incident, i thought all modern singer seater had wheel tethers now? I hope Henry is gonna be ok
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:40 (Ref:2504165)   #3
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saw it! A very nasty whack to the head. Let's hope that at worst it's just a knockout!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:51 (Ref:2504170)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Yep, not good a good situation at all.

At the very least he was knocked out.

I hope he is OK.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2504171)   #5
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't sound good - hope he's okay.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 12:54 (Ref:2504172)   #6
Kidzer
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Kidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKidzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw it too, not nice to watch at all.

Hoping to hear some good news ASAP.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 13:17 (Ref:2504182)   #7
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope he's ok after a great result yesterday.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2504183)   #8
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm watching at home, unless I've missed it the commentators haven't said anything but I understand from someone there that an air ambulance has just landed - I presume this is related. It did look extremely nasty, fingers crossed.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2504186)   #9
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Air ambulance doesn't neccessarily mean anything Suze. With this type of accident, full spinal immobilisation is a must and it's often just easier to transport by air rather than land Ambulance.
I think (If the AA is for him) that it's got to be "So Far So Good"..........hasn't it? I hope so.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2504190)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I wasn't suggesting it meant anything, ie wasn't suggesting it meant a level of injury, just that it was there! And that I presumed it was for him....
Old 19 Jul 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2504191)   #11
Suze
Veteran

England
TV commentators have just said that there is no news on Surtees and SC is probably out in the current [WTCC] race in order to enable the helicopter to depart.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 13:37 (Ref:2504192)   #12
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yep just heard the helicopter leaving circuit part as well.

Poor little chap, my fingers are really crossed for him, absolutely nothing he could do about that wheel.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 13:52 (Ref:2504195)   #13
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport are reporting that he has been injured but there is no word yet on the extent of the injuries or his condition.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:03 (Ref:2504199)   #14
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyfabe View Post
they have taken him out of the car now, it was a nasty incident, i thought all modern singer seater had wheel tethers now? I hope Henry is gonna be ok
F2 has tethers fitted on.

Not the first time that wheels come off on F2 car , just remember the start of the first race at Spa, few weeks ago.

There must be some serious safety issues on this F2 car .

Does not look so good for a "FIA" racing serie.

Hopefully Henry Surtees will be fine.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2504207)   #15
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
absolutely nothing he could do about that wheel.
I once saw a F-Ford go off onto some rough ground.......the front wheel came up and clonked the driver full in the face and he had virtually come to a stop. He suffered a broken Jaw.......lost most teeth........and damage to the eye sockets.
So putting it into persepective with the F2's speed........that's gotta hurt!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2504208)   #16
MatthewC
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Wales
MatthewC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw this crash as well, didn't look at all good. I wish Henry all the best and hope to see him racing soon again!

Campaign to get Alfa Romeo back into the WTCC!
Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2504211)   #17
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it managed to push his helmet visor up....ive just watched it to see exactly what happened...poor chap....hope he is not too badly hurt
Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:33 (Ref:2504218)   #18
Tim.Lad
Racer

Tim.Lad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcckid View Post
it managed to push his helmet visor up....ive just watched it to see exactly what happened...poor chap....hope he is not too badly hurt
My got that has to be the strangest motor sport accident i have ever seen..

it looked like he was knocked out straight the engine was hitting the limiter and the rear wheels spinning when it came to rest..

i hope h is ok, any news ? ??
Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2504219)   #19
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by META4 View Post
F2 has tethers fitted on.

Not the first time that wheels come off on F2 car , just remember the start of the first race at Spa, few weeks ago.

There must be some serious safety issues on this F2 car .

Does not look so good for a "FIA" racing serie.

Hopefully Henry Surtees will be fine.
Tethers aren't the miraculous cure you'd think.
Basic psychics suggests that if you put enough load through a tyre, they're going to fly off, tethered or not..

Look at Kubica in Canada 2007....such an enormous impact the tethers had no chance.

One terrible incident today. A terribly irony was that Surtees had already spun himself out of the race before the first red flag saved him and put him back into the field for the restart.

Like everyone here I extend my best wishes and hope for the best.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:36 (Ref:2504221)   #20
Suze
Veteran

England
Autosport says the same as runshaw posted earlier. The F2 website has a full race report [see here] but only mentions the accident and says Surtees has been taken to hospital after been stabilised at the medical centre. So in short, nothing that was not previously known.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2504228)   #21
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Just looking at the replay, theres rubber from the tyre on the front/top of his helmet, and on the airbox.

Really hope he's ok.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2504235)   #22
Gofor
Rookie

Gofor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update on F2 site

http://www.formulatwo.com/news/henry...statement.aspx
Old 19 Jul 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2504240)   #23
Suze
Veteran

England
No news, but the Autosport article just has a little more info on the accident itself for anyone that didn't see it - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77073

There's also a statement now on the F2 website, but again nothing new http://www.formulatwo.com/news/henry...statement.aspx

I met John and Jane last weekend, thoughts with them and Henry and fingers crossed.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 16:33 (Ref:2504253)   #24
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re. the tethers, the impact that Clarke had with the barrier wasn't all that hard and shouldn't have taken off the wheel like that if it had the correct tethers that single seaters are supposed to have.

Its worth noting that the wheel came of the back of Surtees' car as well, though I don't know what the exact speed it was travelling at was.

As can be in picture at the bottom of this article http://www.britsonpole.com/f2-henry-...heel-post12421 its not the first time wheels have come off F2 cars like this, and these cars are supposed to be built to 2005 F1 safety standards, which were able to keep their wheels on when a tyre went at over 180mph: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAgvS61J89U

The only mitigating cirumstances I can see for the wheels becoming detached is something to do with the design of the barrier.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 19 Jul 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2504255)   #25
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at the circuit 2day and the Air Ambulance took him off towards a London Hospital as opposed to the large hospital at Dartford less than 5 miles away!!

I would suggest he has gone to see a Head/neck/spinal expert, only my opinion tho