Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 6 May 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3070444)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MotorsTV's business model

Strange subject, but bear with me.

Not long after the channel appeared in the UK, they were showing lots of top-level series from around the world, such as WRC, V8 Supercars, BTCC, DTM and more, some live. I gather the costs of doing outside broadcasts was astronomical (like the day-long BTCC coverage which continues to this day on ITV4), so they pulled the plug.

But how can they make money broadcasting things like one-make French coupes, Aussie Legend-style racing, random backwater USA motocross etc here in the UK?

Don't get me wrong, the MotorsTV Racedays and other club-level racing is a godsend these days, and I know there is less live motorsport on it than ever, its just the channel doesn't have the same level of appeal as it used to, and I'm wondering how they continue to fund it.
Old 7 May 2012, 09:37 (Ref:3070566)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adverts, and being paid by race organisers to show the coverage.
Old 7 May 2012, 18:06 (Ref:3070773)   #3
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because Motors TV have advertising and production costs are paid for by the race series which requires promotion.
Old 7 May 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3070790)   #4
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Most established channels like this get paid by the cable and satellite providers that carry them. A channel like this would probably get 25-50p per subscriber, maybe less, maybe more but almost certainly Motors TV gets paid by those providers. In some cases, a new channel might have to pay to get itself onto a provider like Sky to build an audience. Most people are not aware of that going on.

Second they rent out their timeslots, so pretty much you are going to see what championships are willing to pay in order to get coverage.
Old 7 May 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3070918)   #5
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Strange subject, but bear with me.

Not long after the channel appeared in the UK, they were showing lots of top-level series from around the world, such as WRC, V8 Supercars, BTCC, DTM and more, some live. I gather the costs of doing outside broadcasts was astronomical (like the day-long BTCC coverage which continues to this day on ITV4), so they pulled the plug.

But how can they make money broadcasting things like one-make French coupes, Aussie Legend-style racing, random backwater USA motocross etc here in the UK?
Don't be fooled, I don't think Motors TV have ever had the capability of filming something of the scale of BTCC or DTM.
Their attempts to film French national racing seem to be to send one camera to the corner closest to the paddock and maybe find a couple of on-boards and slap that together.

Back then I think ITV were using Motors as a test to see if there was any market for an all day event before they had their extra channels up and running themselves.
As to the other championships they show, I think they target championships that already have TV coverage and internet streaming and offer to broadcast it for peanuts as it's exposure for them.

And you know, this comes from a fan!
Old 8 May 2012, 07:23 (Ref:3070998)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm. I'm not sure if it's just the good olde rose tints, but i do remember Motors being a decent channel. Now, whenever they do broadcast something im interested in, i get fed up of the grainy, low bandwidth feed.

Still, beggars can't be choosers i guess.
Old 8 May 2012, 07:44 (Ref:3071008)   #7
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could be wrong, but don't think they pay much for the video they show.

Lack of HD must be bad for them.
Old 8 May 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3071062)   #8
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
On the other hand, It's quite cool just to be able to answer the question in my head 'Hmm, i wonder what a Ferrari 458 would look like if it were around in the 80's?'

Old 8 May 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3071068)   #9
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Motors where in the doldrums last year but are broadcasting good output this year. Nationwide, Grand-Am, WEC are top-level series. Yes, it's piggy-backing off other productions but if the output is good, then the output is good.
Old 8 May 2012, 10:11 (Ref:3071073)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would imagine Motors simply buy their coverage of most sports.

They ought Speeds Busch series, AMA supercross, ARCA, COR offroad stuff, they would just pay a feee t screen it surely?

Same as DTM, endurance etc. I'm fairly sure most series pay them like bikes, rallycross etc, there will be an advertising package t go with the coverage that helps with costs

It has fallen away drasticallyin recent years, but there is a wide variety of stuff on there. I love 3D motors, great to see new game ideas coming though
Old 8 May 2012, 10:53 (Ref:3071104)   #11
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
3D Motors!?! Wow the good old days. I swear they haven't made that for about 3 years?

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 8 May 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3071117)   #12
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
There seems to be differing opinions about how the cash is generated - yesterday I watched a day-long broadcast from Castle Combe of what were in effect local championships.Who paid for that? Can't imagine that the track or organising club did.

Not complaining though.
Old 8 May 2012, 16:21 (Ref:3071288)   #13
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
There seems to be differing opinions about how the cash is generated - yesterday I watched a day-long broadcast from Castle Combe of what were in effect local championships.Who paid for that? Can't imagine that the track or organising club did.

Not complaining though.
It was funded by the entrants. It was fairly low-budget coverage, so an extra £100 on their entry fees would cover the cost of that easily.
Old 8 May 2012, 16:42 (Ref:3071299)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
It was funded by the entrants. It was fairly low-budget coverage, so an extra £100 on their entry fees would cover the cost of that easily.
Maybe low budget but fun to watch.
Old 8 May 2012, 16:47 (Ref:3071305)   #15
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Maybe low budget but fun to watch.

Absolutely. More please. Sure beats those thugs in the BTCC - when you've got to pay for your own repairs,it's surprising how careful you can be.

(Mind you, another £100 on top of the entry fees and "on the day" running costs - they really must want that video of the day badly).
Old 8 May 2012, 17:41 (Ref:3071325)   #16
medius
Veteran

England
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there a report of viewing figures online anywhere for each Motors programme? I can't imagine some of the French or US racing getting that many viewers compared to WEC, RCRacingTV, the Racedays etc.
Old 8 May 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3071359)   #17
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think maybe they should start to cover the Nurburgring 24hr & the Britcar 24hr as well as Dubai & Spa. Also do around the clock coverage!

I think they missed a beat by not sending some cameras to the 360 Motor Club 6hr considering the amount of times it was mentioned during the WEC broadcast. (I know that was because RLM were covering it, but still.)

Maybe they should try and get rights to that TTA Touring car thing too!

I also think that maybe they should axe the French stuff, maybe area code the coverage? For example: We get Legends Racing, They get Mitjet. They get 207 THP's, we get Lotus Cup UK, etc.

One last thing; Since GT Cup looks to be flourishing, maybe replace some french highlights or those weird things like the Volkswagen Racing Magazine thing (I believe it is known as Race It!) with live coverage of that (the races are only 1/2 Long!)

Last edited by adam46; 8 May 2012 at 18:53.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 8 May 2012, 19:30 (Ref:3071379)   #18
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
I think they missed a beat by not sending some cameras to the 360 Motor Club 6hr considering the amount of times it was mentioned during the WEC broadcast.
I think you've misunderstood how Motors operate. Very little of what they broadcast is actually produced or commissioned by Motors themselves.

Coverage of the UK club series is paid for by the race organisers, or more accurately by the racers themselves. They commission a production company to send a camera crew to the circuit to film the race and then edit the footage into a finished programme. The whole thing is usually done on a very small budget. If it looks like the race has been filmed using only one or two trackside cameras that's because that's exactly what has happened. Many club racers have their own camcorder inside the car and often they will donate this footage to the production company for use in the programme. Depending on the series and the the deal they can put together, at best Motors will air the footage for free, or will sell the airtime. in the case of something like Legends who have a sponsor for the footage, the sponsor will almost certainly need to buy the airtime.

The same will apply to the odd European club racing and rallying coverage. Scirocco Cup coverage will be paid for by VW, Mobil 1 - The Grid obviously funded by Mobil.

Aside from the recent Castle Combe and Donington racedays, the majority of live events just take the international feed which in most cases already includes an English language commentary.
Old 8 May 2012, 21:35 (Ref:3071439)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol

Theya re nulikely to axe the Frnech stuff because they are erm French!

Never mind
Old 8 May 2012, 22:18 (Ref:3071459)   #20
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
They don't seem to show those documentaries about the French motoring/motor sport scene any more.

The translation was so literal it was hilarious. But at least we got to see something different, instead of the endless Mini/E-type/Landie eulogies.

I also thought they were French, and couldn't understand some of the earlier comments.
Old 9 May 2012, 06:59 (Ref:3071555)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Further to a point earlier when some casually said that it might mean a 100 quid extra on your entry fee!

What on earth is the deal there, what if I was considering running a championship campaign and then someone punted anotehr 100 quid on the entry fee at a round I was scheduled to compete at!

I would be none to pleased! as I doubt ther is an opt out of coverage entry fee!

Maybe it should be included in a pre-season registration fee so the costs are all up front, as paying on a round for round basis is a little unfair on those with tight budgets who would rather send it on fuel or tyres.
Old 9 May 2012, 08:36 (Ref:3071605)   #22
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There was no additional entry fee for the Castle Combe Championships - I imagine the extra costs were amortised over the season.

The other races were bought grids, and the MR2 race was non-championship, although you would not have known this just from watching.
Old 9 May 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3071671)   #23
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post

I also think that maybe they should axe the French stuff!)
No, I hope they keep the international items. Though we already have 2 differing channels, motors uk, and motors for rest of Europe gets, so content does already vary depending in how you receive motors, for instance the European version gets Indy Cars, but the uk version does not, I presume as SKY sports have the rights.

Living on the south coast it is actually easier to get to the more northern French rallycross tracks, than the British Championship when it goes to croft and knockhill.

So for me it's good that the French Championship is covered, as I know what's going on, when I do get to watch in person.

Plus French series such as the French Racecar Series, do come to the UK, eg supporting DTM at brands.
Old 11 May 2012, 00:52 (Ref:3072489)   #24
medius
Veteran

England
I do miss the earlier days of Motors TV. During the winter with no racing happening, we were treated to Dukes DVDs of the BTCC season review, Havoc/Crash DVDs etc.

Is the content being shown today, the natural level to which Motors TV can/should have operated at since day 1, or is it a result of the economy driving up costs and pushing away the bigger advertisers?
Old 11 May 2012, 06:41 (Ref:3072545)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I am staggered the station keeps going to be honest!

Must be so foddicult to attract sponsors to such a niche market.

I would love to produce a 3D Motors type show wgaink, I loved that show!

I do think that this level of appeal leads to beter variety though, some of the stuff pon there is a bit por yet from out of the blue you get D1GP drifting which though not strictly motorsport has a huge following over here in in other countries, that coverage must cost something, I doubt its free, who on earth can advertise with it?