Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Dec 2016, 13:13 (Ref:3696119)   #251
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I like the NSX but there is no way in hell I will be able to pick that thing out from an Audi at night.
That's what the LED strips on the roof and in the grille will be for!
Old 14 Dec 2016, 13:36 (Ref:3696130)   #252
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I don't think we're going to get that low come January but I like the goal of breaking it!
I thought the track configuration had been slightly changed since '93. At the very least I think I remember something about a surface change making the times not comparable. Am I remembering wrong?

Nevertheless good to see the DPIs showing some good early pace.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 13:37 (Ref:3696131)   #253
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
I thought the track configuration had been slightly changed since '93. At the very least I think I remember something about a surface change making the times not comparable. Am I remembering wrong?

Busstop was made tighter after '02.

To:
Old 14 Dec 2016, 14:04 (Ref:3696137)   #254
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cars now on track. 9am - 12pm.

http://livetiming.alkamelsystems.com/imsa/
Old 14 Dec 2016, 14:29 (Ref:3696138)   #255
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
VisitFlatLands.
Ha! There goes a potential source of free passes for you.

They did forget hot, muggy, buggy too.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 14:49 (Ref:3696140)   #256
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Ha! There goes a potential source of free passes for you.

They did forget hot, muggy, buggy too.
Glad someone caught that! Sorry that I may have burned a bridge with it. Feel free to call me a hill billy. That's not really true as hill billies are really from TN, KY and WVa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Busstop was made tighter after '02.

To:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post

I had recalled the slight change, too, but couldn't recall specifics. Now that I've seen it on the map and recall the older one, I would think the smaller bus stop would be quicker back to full throttle and therefore quicker times when comparing same / similar cars.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3696149)   #257
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Glad someone caught that! Sorry that I may have burned a bridge with it. Feel free to call me a hill billy. That's not really true as hill billies are really from TN, KY and WVa.
You're more generic white trash than hillbilly or redneck.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 16:07 (Ref:3696158)   #258
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut

Ford Confirms Four-Car Rolex 24 Entry
Old 14 Dec 2016, 18:15 (Ref:3696186)   #259
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
You're more generic white trash than hillbilly or redneck.
I try, but it takes one to know one.

"Redneck is not something to aspire to; it's something to f**cking rise above." - Mike Cooley

Back on topic and speaking of rednecks, Ford with four bullets in the gun are going to be tough to beat, but that shows that the race is already showing signs of a return to international relevance, no?
Old 14 Dec 2016, 18:51 (Ref:3696193)   #260
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
I try, but it takes one to know one.

"Redneck is not something to aspire to; it's something to f**cking rise above." - Mike Cooley

Back on topic and speaking of rednecks, Ford with four bullets in the gun are going to be tough to beat, but that shows that the race is already showing signs of a return to international relevance, no?
Returning to it's place as No. 2 Most Important Sports Car Race in the World.
Old 14 Dec 2016, 23:44 (Ref:3696262)   #261
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Returning to it's place as No. 2 Most Important Sports Car Race in the World.
Well said. You can say the race's return from the abyss of Grand Am is complete this year now. As far as I am concerned the Daytona 24 did not even exist between 2004 through 2013.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 00:28 (Ref:3696277)   #262
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Well said. You can say the race's return from the abyss of Grand Am is complete this year now. As far as I am concerned the Daytona 24 did not even exist between 2004 through 2013.
Well, the 24 hr actually did exist, just like there's still the Indy 500, but let's not do this

And I still like Sebring more but it has to be a very close third behind the Rolex.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 01:36 (Ref:3696289)   #263
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
(a)Well said. You can say the race's return from the abyss of Grand Am is complete this year now. (b)As far as I am concerned the Daytona 24 did not even exist between 2004 through 2013.
(a)Disagree. Hopefully reincarnation in the works. We'll see... :fingerscrossed:

(b)Absolutely. I attended a few, but, (ala the Righteous Brothers):

"I lost that lovin' feelin'
Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
I lost that lovin' feelin'
Now it's gone, gone, gone, woh...

...Bring back that lovin' feelin'
Whoa, that lovin' feelin'
Bring back that lovin' feelin'
'Cause it's gone, gone, gone"...

jimclark
Old 15 Dec 2016, 08:07 (Ref:3696340)   #264
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Good to see IMSA will start races with combined grids next year, not those silly separate proto and GT fields. Just a shame they will still group the cars by type rather than have a genuine qualifying time based starting order.

sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/combined-starts-highlight-sporting-regulation-changes-for-2017
Old 15 Dec 2016, 16:33 (Ref:3696449)   #265
jimclark
Veteran

United States
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!

Like I said, I hope we're working our way back to real racing. I keep praying (with not the greatest amount of hope for a total return)...

jimclark
Old 15 Dec 2016, 17:01 (Ref:3696456)   #266
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
What is "real" racing, ye olde jimclark?

I'm guessing something prohibitively expensive and not viable in 2016.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 17:48 (Ref:3696462)   #267
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Discussions of fairness of BoP, getting rid of BoP, and resurrection of ALMS rules and regulatons aside "real" racing like allow the cars to race as they qualify. If a GT car qualifies in the top 5 of the prototype ranks then that's where it will start. None of this fastest GT car starting behind all 10 prototypes even though it's faster than half the class. Something along those lines being a start...
Old 15 Dec 2016, 19:00 (Ref:3696475)   #268
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
Discussions of fairness of BoP, getting rid of BoP, and resurrection of ALMS rules and regulatons aside "real" racing like allow the cars to race as they qualify. If a GT car qualifies in the top 5 of the prototype ranks then that's where it will start. None of this fastest GT car starting behind all 10 prototypes even though it's faster than half the class. Something along those lines being a start...
....and establishing a set of rules, having the entrants chose their steeds and "train" (build and develop) them to their best; have them race without bar lowering adjustments (BoPs)to "equalize" the playing field; stop the incessant and prolonged BS "cautions" to make the race more "entertaining for a continuance....

jimclark
Old 15 Dec 2016, 19:12 (Ref:3696476)   #269
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I think you know what he means here. None of it has to do with costs and basically all could be implemented this year with a few simple changes to the technical regulations. Personally, I don't see much of a point in not splitting the field if you don't allow the cars to start in the order they qualified but I'm not losing sleep over it.

1. Sensible BoP especially in the GT classes. Slight adjustments after a baseline once or twice a year is less than ideal but acceptable. 10 BoP adjustments a year is ridiculous and makes the competition farcical. (looking at you also WEC) While you're at it, open up the performance box a little. Yes the cars can be somewhat even, but we don't have to regulate torque levels and such to make them absolutely the same.

2. Yellow flag/Safety car procedures that make sense and aren't designed to artificially bunch up the field. This means no "lap back" rule, and judicious use of FCY or "virtual Safety Cars" or other means which are now widely accepted around the world.

3. Pit stop rules that allow for differing strategies. There should be an advantage to being able to double or triple stint tires. As it stands, the only advantage is not having to warm the tires on the out lap. Doesn't have to be ACO/ALMS rules, but the current rules don't allow for strategic flexibility.

I'm sure there are others, but these three would make for something that would be a more "real racing" series as opposed to a motor racing show.

Sorry for the OT rant, I actually still am really looking forward to Daytona.
Old 15 Dec 2016, 19:13 (Ref:3696477)   #270
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFrider View Post
Thank you. That's a great start.
I find it hopeless trying to explain what's been lost over the years in the name of "business" to those that ask.
Methinks those that haven't invested their passion into the sport as some have, cannot understand. It's not a fault, 'just a reality.

edit: pach233 - Agree with all except the BoP portion. Zip, nada, none in regard to BoP. Set of rules, build and develop your best. Period.

jimclark
Old 15 Dec 2016, 19:46 (Ref:3696484)   #271
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
How bout that Rolex grid, huh? Looking pretty good....
Old 15 Dec 2016, 21:53 (Ref:3696524)   #272
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
How bout that Rolex grid, huh? Looking pretty good....
Yes, cars will be at Daytona. Lots of good quality ones with good quality teams and drivers making them go.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 01:01 (Ref:3696561)   #273
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Yes, cars will be at Daytona. Lots of good quality ones with good quality teams and drivers making them go.
MORE IMPORTANTLY.

Many cheap beers will be drank.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 01:25 (Ref:3696564)   #274
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One issue to mention ... all those changes made to “improve the show” because it would be good for business ... didn’t improve the show, and thus weren’t good for business.

It seems now the management has realized it had its head up its atherton, and is now actually listening to the fans and considering giving them some of what they want.

I can see BoP in GT classes ... how else can a Ferrari race a Corvette, an Aston, and Audi, a Lamborghini, a Mercedes, and maybe even a Bentley? The way to do BoP is to have The Series test the cars twice a year, post the BoP, and leave it until the second test.

In prototypes ... maybe a factor to equalize displacement for turbo and NA engines? Not needed now, though.

I think the free lap might be hard for them to let go off ... (even though it is pretty offensive when a car which lost a bunch of laps wins) I think the mantra “close finish” is pretty deeply ingrained.

Whatever. Either by accident or through increased intellect ... IMSA has actually improved the series each of the past three years. not a lot of times a sports car fan can say that seriously.
Old 16 Dec 2016, 01:34 (Ref:3696565)   #275
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
I think the free lap might be hard for them to let go off ... (even though it is pretty offensive when a car which lost a bunch of laps wins) I think the mantra “close finish” is pretty deeply ingrained.

Whatever. Either by accident or through increased intellect ... IMSA has actually improved the series each of the past three years. not a lot of times a sports car fan can say that seriously.
Yep it's a long process but the arrow of improvement points upwards I'd say.
And in regards to the free lap, if the leader doesn't pit during the caution, there is no wave around for the other cars in that class so that is always a strategic option for the leader.