Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Nov 2016, 13:08 (Ref:3690717)   #1
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Button

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38092740

So long, Jenson. Enjoy whatever comes next.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 13:55 (Ref:3690725)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38092740

So long, Jenson. Enjoy whatever comes next.
A good spot Greem, but I don't think there's any change here.
I think it's mostly a mindset thing, knowing that there's no guarantee that he will be racing in F1 from 2018 onwards, JB is just going into this weekend thinking that this will be his last F1 race.
(A bit like when you have a row with your girlfriend and she says "we need to talk" you often think you're about to be binned, preparing for the worst just in case that does happen!)
Old 24 Nov 2016, 13:59 (Ref:3690726)   #3
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I really hope he comes back to a competitive McLaren-Honda in 2018, but at the moment it's looking quite unlikely. Rallycross seems his most likely destination, though I suspect for next year he'll just pick and choose some events from various series. Be great to see him in an NSX for the Suzuka 1000 Kilometres.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 14:26 (Ref:3690731)   #4
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
(A bit like when you have a row with your girlfriend and she says "we need to talk" you often think you're about to be binned, preparing for the worst just in case that does happen!)
You are obviously speaking from much experience!
Old 24 Nov 2016, 15:39 (Ref:3690745)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
ESPN with their top 10 drives by Button.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...best-f1-drives

09 he won the title but for me he was at his best when paired with LH.

crazy to think Mclaren's last win came from JB at Brazil 2012...a record which may end up standing for a long time.
Old 24 Nov 2016, 18:28 (Ref:3690771)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I've said it before, I'll say it again: JB is (so far - let's see what happens on Sunday) the only driver ever to beat Lewis as a team-mate over the balance of a season.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 01:21 (Ref:3690826)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He made sure he enjoyed the race in 2014, as he had a feeling that would be his last race too
Old 25 Nov 2016, 10:09 (Ref:3690892)   #8
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anthony Davidson has said something very interesting about Button on the Sky feed; he said that next year's cars would have suited his driving style a lot better than this year's.

I suppose it's good that he went out on top, rather than plod on like sometimes happens with F1 drivers.

I get the feeling that he won't be back, but like I said, it's best to go out on top.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 10:55 (Ref:3690900)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
I suppose it's good that he went out on top, rather than plod on like sometimes happens with F1 drivers.

I get the feeling that he won't be back, but like I said, it's best to go out on top.
Have you seen the practice times from today? Hardly 'on top'

Joking aside it's a shame to see Button leaving but it's probably time to go.
Old 25 Nov 2016, 12:57 (Ref:3690925)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I understand why, after 17 years of full-time F1 competition, JB wants a break; but I don't think it's "time to go". He's only 36, one of the fittest drivers on the grid (all those triathlons), and he's not disgracing himself against Alonso. I hope FA goes off to the WEC in 2018 and Jenson takes his seat at McLaren alongside Vandoorne.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3691134)   #11
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think deep inside Jenson has just had enough ...
Old 26 Nov 2016, 15:02 (Ref:3691136)   #12
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quit frankly, I don't see Button returning.

If the car is good in 2017, and the prospects for 2018 even better, I can't see Alonso moving on just yet. And Mclaren wanting to hang on to him as well.
If the car is a dog, then Alonso may decide he's had enough, but would that be something that motivates Button to come back?

Another reason for Alonso to walk away, would be to much unrest in the team and/or F1 in general, but then again I don't see that as a reason for Button to return. He doesn't seem to like the politics either...
Old 26 Nov 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3691167)   #13
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
A sabbatical doesn't make sense.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 11:08 (Ref:3691356)   #14
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll miss the smiley face and the banter. I'll miss those magic moments when he finds just the right second to change tyres. But I won't miss seeing him tugging around in an old dog of a McLaren-Honda. Time to go, JB. And good luck with whatever you choose to do next. Thanks for the memories.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 15:17 (Ref:3691422)   #15
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
shame he could not complete his last GP but lets hope we see him again in a top class car and i hope it is WEC as i can;t see him back in F1
Old 27 Nov 2016, 15:32 (Ref:3691428)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Lauda and Prost did OK after sabbaticals. JB for World Champion in 2018!

Seriously, though, I understand why he wants a break, but I think he's still at the top of his game. It will be interesting to see where he ends up. Rallycross is one option, with a nod to John, but he'd be a formidable competitor in IndyCars. His silky-smooth style would suit endurance racing well.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 16:44 (Ref:3691465)   #17
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
but he'd be a formidable competitor in IndyCars...
I'm not sure he would be too fond of oval racing.

Whatever he is going to do, I hope he'll enjoy it immensely.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 22:50 (Ref:3691561)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any word on what caused his suspension failure?

That he caught it, didn't crash, and got it back to the pits without getting in anyones way, was in a weird way, a great testament to his awareness and car control.

He brought it home...respect!
Old 27 Nov 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3691563)   #19
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Any word on what caused his suspension failure?
Drove over a (high) curb and that tyre and suspension got a severe beating.
Old 27 Nov 2016, 23:00 (Ref:3691565)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Thanks
Old 27 Nov 2016, 23:24 (Ref:3691572)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's not like him though to hit kerbs like that
Old 28 Nov 2016, 16:39 (Ref:3691809)   #22
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They showed a replay of him going over a curb and it breaking. I can't remember which corner it was, but... it really didn't look like a particularly bad curb? It also looked like one everyone was running. I know it could have been weakened earlier, but are the curbs particularly bad at that track?

Richard
Old 28 Nov 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3691816)   #23
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
I have seen it only once, but I think he ran over it at a slightly odd angle, or a bit wider than the others did. Maybe that's what caused his troubles?
Old 30 Nov 2016, 15:57 (Ref:3692413)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
still looking for an official explanation (not that it really matters of course) but cant find one. some of JB's post races quotes suggest that he didnt hit anything and that it was just a straight mechanical failure.

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/...e-final-finish

"I didn't hit anything with that tyre, it was the right front that broke. I haven't done anything different from what I've done for the last 17 years. It's a surprise, but I'm glad I was able to figure it out before I hit the brakes going into Turn 11."
Old 1 Dec 2016, 11:12 (Ref:3692653)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think that the oddity arises because it was the unloaded tyre.