Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:09 (Ref:1178860)   #51
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some posted some pics from Catalina Park on the web somewhere.

The pics were from earlier this year or late last year...

The track is still very much intact, but merely overgrown.

The armco is still there and everything.

It could only ever be revived as a club circuit though, i doubt it could hold big V8 Meetings.

This is its physical location

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...rdsys=mercator

This is the photo tour and history i was talking about

http://www.tasman-series.com/misc/lo...talinapark.asp

Check it out..

Who thinks it could be revived ?
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:18 (Ref:1178864)   #52
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'll never beat the greenie locals.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 02:22 (Ref:1178866)   #53
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do people have against motor sports ??

Dont they see the financial benefits they would get for a couple of weekends inconveneice a year ??

Some people are just silly.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 03:31 (Ref:1178881)   #54
TCR-028
Racer

TCR-028 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for those links Jason...
Old 14 Dec 2004, 06:15 (Ref:1178911)   #55
Skippy1976
Rookie

Skippy1976 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884

Dont they see the financial benefits they would get for a couple of weekends inconveneice a year ??

Same thing happens here in Bathurst with Mt Panorama. Every couple of years it comes up in the local media as an issue. I think all but 1 residence on the mount itself was purchased after the commencement of racing at the mount. Yet some (not all) of these people who pay for the prestige of living on Mt Panorama complain that the motor racing annoys them in one way or another.

A bit like buying a house under the flight path at mascot i suppose.

Sure its a bit harder to get a park downtown, and you might have to wait an extra 10 minutes in woolies at the checkouts if you go in the peak times, pubs and restaurants are normally quite full too. Not a huge price to pay for an injection of millions into the local economy.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 06:22 (Ref:1178912)   #56
rustyinsthoz
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
rustyinsthoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884

Unfortunately , relatively few people benefit from motorsport but a lot of people are inconvenienced by it . Specially when it comes to street circuits .
Old 14 Dec 2004, 10:17 (Ref:1179044)   #57
resisturban
Racer

resisturban should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i happened to have dinner with a Mr Perich this evening, very interesting!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 22:49 (Ref:1179590)   #58
brno86
Rookie

brno86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In regards to Catalina Park ,the Lansvale team (remember them) had a tyre rep day there for Yokahama in the early 90's and did some hot laps of the circuit. The Tunnel of Love what a great name for a corner.
Old 14 Dec 2004, 22:55 (Ref:1179593)   #59
FalconEL
Racer

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland
FalconEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brno86
The Tunnel of Love what a great name for a corner.
Yeah, better than Turn 1 - Turn 6 at Queensland Raceway....

So resisturban , what was on the menu???

CD.
"I still can't spin the wheels all the way down the straight in high gear", Mark Donohue (The Unfair Advantage) commenting to the Porsche engineers on the 1100hp 1973 Can-Am Porsche 917-30 when asked whether the car has enough horsepower yet!!
Old 14 Dec 2004, 23:55 (Ref:1179627)   #60
v8race1
Racer

v8race1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Resisturban was another player, aka mr medich also in attendance?????
Old 16 Dec 2004, 00:22 (Ref:1180665)   #61
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Losing Oran Park. *#*# You know it's coming but you don't want to accept it. Oran Park is awesome as a spectator track. (Ingall doesn't think so though). Only having the creek in Sydney will be a bloody shame. We'll be at Oran Park in January for the historics meeting. Hope many of the touring car drivers who are invited will make it. RIP ORAN PARK!!!!!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 01:07 (Ref:1180681)   #62
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Catalina track looks quite the challenge, actually. Reminds me of a fast flowing Lakeside.

Wouldn't mind winning Lotto and doing the old girl up!
Old 16 Dec 2004, 01:41 (Ref:1180699)   #63
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Checked out Catalina a while ago. It is like a lakeside. Only problem would be access, and spectator viewing, half of the track has a big hill next to it with houses on it. Had old Craven Mild signs embedded into the cliff face, oh the good old days. Track width shouldn't be a drama, it would be wider than Canberra was.. Sorry Ovaleye...
Old 16 Dec 2004, 02:14 (Ref:1180706)   #64
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna05
That Catalina track looks quite the challenge, actually. Reminds me of a fast flowing Lakeside.

Wouldn't mind winning Lotto and doing the old girl up!
Catlina was really good, I crashed my Gemini Improved Prod car there back in 1994. But it was a good fun track
Old 16 Dec 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1180963)   #65
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I actually reckon in a way it'd be a shame to do up Catalina.

The way it has been pretty much left untouched, the wooden barriers, the old Start/Finish signs on the main straight etc etc, provides still, even 30 odd years after it was last used for top-class motorsport, a great insight into what it was like back then, like a time-warp.

The Aquatic centre situated 5 metres from the barriers on the front straight, along with tree's protruding very closely to the circuit in places, mean that at best the track could probably be used for a special stage nowadays, but that might even make too much noise.

It is still possible to follow the old Rallycross circuit as well on the inside of the track. It is mostly a single walking track, but pretty much follows the actual track and meets up with where it exited (just after the crest on the main straight) and re-entered (prior to the Tunnel of Love) the circuit. There's even some barriers still on the inside.
Old 16 Dec 2004, 13:58 (Ref:1181086)   #66
TCR-028
Racer

TCR-028 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A mate of mine has a property up in the mountains and we go up there for a weekend of drinking p!ss and telling lies now and again - it's guaranteed that i'll be taking a stroll around Catalina next time we are up there and posting a few photos in this thread...
Old 16 Dec 2004, 20:33 (Ref:1181362)   #67
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is a 2 page spread about Oran Park in today's Daily Telegraph.... the end of the world appears to be nigh
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 16 Dec 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1181416)   #68
brno86
Rookie

The days of Oran Park watching the F5000 as a kid feeling awestruck by the sound and the size of the crowds they could pull. Sports Sedans in the early 80's when Edmonson, Moffat, Rogers, McCormack use to put on a show for the punters. As a kid when the GP circuit was just built and driving around the track in a road car and racing there in a go kart going over the bridge was a buzz to. The days when things were a little less commercial or in some peoples mind less professional.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 00:55 (Ref:1181516)   #69
Bimmerhead
Racer

Bimmerhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was fortunate enough to attend a BMW Club track day at Amaroo Park just weeks before it closed - brought back great memories of belting around there in an RX2 in the '70s. Now its a housing estate.......

Oran Park holds similar fond memories and I, for one, will make sure I get a little time on this great track before it too is given up to the seemingly never ending urban sprawl that is Sydney.

As for a new track for Sydney? I'd say don't hold your breath - land prices around Sydney are only going to go higher in the future and of course no Federal or State government will bite the decentralisation bullet 'cause its just all too hard.......
Old 17 Dec 2004, 01:45 (Ref:1181533)   #70
Monaro
Racer

Australia
Bathurst
Monaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being a old bloke I have great memories of running at Catalina,Amaroo & Oran Park.And with the passing of time and these tracks I am starting to feel a lot older.It was fun driving through The Tunnel of Love hitting the dip going up the hill hanging on as the car understeered going over the top a bit like the top at Amaroo.Soon I 'll only have trophys in the cabinet to remind me of the good old days.Having run at the last Catalina & Amaroo events looks like I'll have to drag the old car out for the final run at Oran Park.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 03:25 (Ref:1181563)   #71
banditshideaway
Rookie

banditshideaway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey colinbond how long since you have been to Oran Park. If you have been there in the last few years you would have noticed the red tractor running around with the trailer it is emptying the bins (Pretty hard not to notice the old beast). As for Eastern Creek being overgrown with Housing I would like to know where and how. Outside gate 7 Dragstrip, Western side of circuit Swamp/new M7 Motorway, Directly north M5 then Industrial and to the east Water Board complex including Reservoir. With Oran Park the Perich family owned most of the surrounding land and must have finally decided to give up Farming after all these years. Rumors are that a new track is to be/is being built out Wilton way. If that happens who will go and where do they expect teams to stay.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 03:56 (Ref:1181572)   #72
brno86
Rookie

The funniest story about Oran Park must be the bloke that blasted out of pit lane in his charger as Moffat & Jane and the pack had long gone. He was finally flagged in but for the couple of laps he had, the crowd had his full support and was really hooking in. Hey Charger. The other thing was the light plane that landed on the front straight and the taste of the old hot dogs served behind the pit straight.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 09:13 (Ref:1181677)   #73
Schrodes
Rookie

Australia
Sydney ish
Schrodes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go to Wilton. The teams could still stay at their usual motels. It's only another 20 minutes down the highway.
The reason the Eastern Creek circuit was built there in the first place was because it couldn't be built out.
Old 17 Dec 2004, 09:24 (Ref:1181686)   #74
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Eastern Creek can and will be built out. There are farms and the like behind the circuit.. which is prime real estate for industrial and/or residential applications.

At $350k for a 700m2 block in a similar area, some of these farms are worth a kazillion!
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Dec 2004, 09:53 (Ref:1181706)   #75
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rates must cripple the poor farmers. Industrial zoning would save a lot of issues.
$350k.........Flip! I know farmers who near-on die if they heard that kind of price.

Oh to own a nice 150-300 hectare block near Sydney!