Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Aug 2006, 02:40 (Ref:1676164)   #126
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So after that discussion, we can resolute to decide that Oran Park will or will not be replaced there?

Also, what about the suggestions of moving it further south, towards Picton? The only troubles I can see is finding enough flat land around there.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 7 Aug 2006, 02:52 (Ref:1676168)   #127
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Also, what about the suggestions of moving it further south, towards Picton? The only troubles I can see is finding enough flat land around there.
You mean land without threat of mine subsidence??

I dont see why there would be a replication of Oran Park anywhere else.

Cleverest move might be for the Perich's to take the not so small payout from the Oran Park sale and move into Eastern Creek... and tune that place up a lot to get the spectators a-coming.

You think they could put a replica of the flip-flop in there somewhere?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 7 Aug 2006, 03:00 (Ref:1676169)   #128
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic

Remove corporate hill and put it over there. The back part of EC is sooooo boring to race on.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 7 Aug 2006, 03:24 (Ref:1676178)   #129
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could always demolish the WSID... <Prepares to duck for cover>
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 7 Aug 2006, 04:56 (Ref:1676208)   #130
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
The only troubles I can see is finding enough flat land around there.
We want more hills and dips though, the less flat land the better for a race track
Old 7 Aug 2006, 07:11 (Ref:1676254)   #131
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Depends how accurately you're trying to re-create Oran Park.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1676334)   #132
David Towe
Veteran

England
Glenmore Park NSW
David Towe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely don't want another flat track, QR is boring enough. The biggest advantage OP has from a spectator point of view, is the fact that from a spectator point of view you can see so much of the circuit. Family Hill, beside the grid and the grandstands allow you to see just about every part of the track.
At the creek what can you see properly, 2 or 3 corners? Wakefield is better for the spectators but is a little narrow and IMHO will never attract the level one taxi races until they get a straight 200 meters longer.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 09:33 (Ref:1676341)   #133
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
At the creek what can you see properly, 2 or 3 corners?
If that...better to remove the whole pit and tower complex and put it somewhere else. The buildings basically obliterate most of the view.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 12:14 (Ref:1676486)   #134
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why peeple no wrisen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Good idea, let the development go ahead and then have a street race.

Of course it puts nothing back into grass roots motorsport.
Why not form a Save OP Consortium, build the houses around the track, then have regular "round the houses" runs....
Old 7 Aug 2006, 13:02 (Ref:1676536)   #135
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Why not form a Save OP Consortium, build the houses around the track, then have regular "round the houses" runs....
That would almost convince TC that it would be a street race.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 13:49 (Ref:1676567)   #136
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and we all know how bad those things are!
Old 7 Aug 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1676585)   #137
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 02:41 (Ref:1677201)   #138
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great post Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Cleverest move might be for the Perich's to take the not so small payout from the Oran Park sale and move into Eastern Creek... and tune that place up a lot to get the spectators a-coming.

Thats a bad joke.

If they can find a suitably undulating piece of land, I don't see why it has to be a recreation of Oran Park. As long as it flows well and has similar elements, it doesn't have to be exactly the same.

No one wants a flat circuit. If you can provide good viewing and an undulating circuit, like Oran Park, everyone's a winner.

Oran Park, for me, is legendary. Its sad that it won't be there much longer, but I think i t would be a good opportunity for a new layout.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 05:44 (Ref:1677260)   #139
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well everyone is keen to get their little computers cracking on new livery designs - how about some of us come up with new track layout?

I remember reading in some motoring mag of some sort about 12 months ago where they had a poll of all the favourite corners of all the tracks in the world and put together a completed track using the winning corners - copy that one perhaps???
Old 8 Aug 2006, 06:44 (Ref:1677285)   #140
BlueMax
Racer

BlueMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the old days when Oran Park use to have the Dog Leg. I don't like the name flip flop.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 07:34 (Ref:1677316)   #141
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRabbit
well everyone is keen to get their little computers cracking on new livery designs - how about some of us come up with new track layout?

I remember reading in some motoring mag of some sort about 12 months ago where they had a poll of all the favourite corners of all the tracks in the world and put together a completed track using the winning corners - copy that one perhaps???
I dunno about a design, but mine would include Eau Rouge from Spa, The Dipper and Cutting from Bathurst, and the Monaco hair pin.

But getting back on topic, word on the grape vine is that people are scouting around the Southern Highlands for a suitable place to build a race track...

Just remember I may be completely wrong... .
Old 8 Aug 2006, 08:30 (Ref:1677381)   #142
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have to say i agree with RotorFan,

Oran Park is a great little circuit, but leave it where it is (houses or not), build a different/better track somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan
If that...better to remove the whole pit and tower complex and put it somewhere else. The buildings basically obliterate most of the view.
I always did find it a curious decision to put the pitlane/paddock area inside the track, as it does prevent a view of the back of the circuit.

However it must be remembered (not only facility wise, but in the design of the track as well) that the main push for the building of Eastern Creek was for the 500cc Grand Prix, and therefore the layout is very European. Most of the 'GP' standard tracks have the pitlane/paddock area on the inside of the circuit, and at many Grand Prix circuits you struggle to see more than 2 or 3 corners from one position.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1677508)   #143
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Most of the 'GP' standard tracks have the pitlane/paddock area on the inside of the circuit, and at many Grand Prix circuits you struggle to see more than 2 or 3 corners from one position.
That does not prevent a "correction" being made, to make the circuit more user friendly.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1677546)   #144
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
So let's demolish the grandstand on the main straight, demolish the coporate buildings and the pit buildings, excavate the hill behind the existing grandstand, create a traffic nightmare just so people can see 1 or 2 more corners at Eastern Creek.

You want to do something worthwhile, get rid of Corporate Hill.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1677569)   #145
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
You want to do something worthwhile, get rid of Corporate Hill.
That would be a good start.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 09:43 (Ref:1680522)   #146
johnny yuma
Veteran

johnny yuma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Racer69...all very interesting, but this subject needs a new thread. I am thinking along the lines of the MRA series about circuits that are no longer with us.
I think suggestions on how something can replace Oran Park, may have a little bit more urgency.i.e. what aspects of OP do you want recreated somewhere else?
As a Civil Engineer I must say trying to recreate Oran Park somewhere else is impossible...ditto any hilly circuit.You might as well search for life on another planet.The earthworks required are the perfect way to have a crippling debt before the first event is held.Note as well the much loved closeness to the racing for spectators at Oran Park,tolerated by the politically correct risk managers for existing circuits,will not apply to new circuits.Ever wondered why Wakefield Park keeps you so far back???

All the more reason to find a champion who has a political/social/heritage way to save Oran Park AS IS.It distressed me and still does to lose Amaroo-there must be a Lindsay Fox out there to save OP.
Old 12 Aug 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1680554)   #147
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
All the more reason to find a champion who has a political/social/heritage way to save Oran Park AS IS.It distressed me and still does to lose Amaroo-there must be a Lindsay Fox out there to save OP.
I certaintly wish it was the case..but "Oran Park"not just the racing complex has been sold for housing. Unfortunately a lot of the area, where you thought housing could be built, is zoned a flood plain.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 07:40 (Ref:1681020)   #148
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Racer69...all very interesting, but this subject needs a new thread. I am thinking along the lines of the MRA series about circuits that are no longer with us.
I think suggestions on how something can replace Oran Park, may have a little bit more urgency.i.e. what aspects of OP do you want recreated somewhere else?
Sorry for going off topic Robert...........even though all i was doing was responding to a question posed by Chatters

On topic, as i stated earlier in the thread, i don't want Oran Park recreated, i'd prefer a new circuit with some new character established.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 11:02 (Ref:1681134)   #149
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so is next year the end of Op as rumoured?
Old 14 Aug 2006, 02:02 (Ref:1681704)   #150
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
No, I hear it still has 3 - 4 years left.