Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Aug 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2739433)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2011 driver market predictions

I suspect next year could see a bit of a shake up, certainly with Renault, HRT and Virgin.

I like Petrov i think he's had a solid if unspectacular debut with Renault but IMO he's too far behind Kubica to justify renault keeping him on, especially they do not rely on his funding as much for next year.

I see Kovalinen or Glock replacing him next year with Chandock taking the Vacant seat at Lotus or virgin.

At Force India i think Liuzzi has missed his chance and Paul DiResta will take over with Liuzzi disapearing into the reserve driver role. His (di resta's) friday tests must mean they are giving him as much time in the car to get his input into the design of next years car.

Fauzy might step into a race seat instead of chandock at Lotus should Kovalinen depart.

Food for thought what do you guys rekon?

Dan
Old 4 Aug 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2739483)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Liuzzi's just not good enough. He ought to go. He's had quite a few chances.

Schumacher perhaps ought to go.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2739508)   #3
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Renault seat really is the key to the driver market for next year. I suspect Sutil, Kobayashi or maybe Glock will get it.

If the Mercedes seat opens up I can't see who would get it other than Heidfeld to be honest.

Sauber will drop de la Rosa but I think Petrov will end up there. Liuzzi will only stay at Force India if Sutil leaves - di Resta will be racing for them next year.

I'm sure Maldonado and Perez will be in the mix somewhere, possibly Virgin or HRT.

I'm not convinced there will be a 13th team either.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2739515)   #4
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Petrov and Sauber would probably be a good fit, a solid driver who I think steadaly improves his driving and who's bringing some well needed money.

Di Resta hopefully gets the seat at FI, I've been waiting to see him in Formula 1.

Maybe Perez to replace Kobayashi if he moves to Renault?
Old 4 Aug 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2739517)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kobayashi certainly deserves something better than that Sauber car.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 20:17 (Ref:2739529)   #6
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be delighted at a Kobayashi/Perez line-up at Sauber.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 20:22 (Ref:2739531)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There seems to be quite a push for Perez because he has Telmex backing as well as ability.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2739533)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Lotus (or for that matter anyone else) want to build for the future, a Kovalainen/Kobayashi package could be a serious (and by that I mean WCC) force in two or three years. At the risk of sounding like I'm posting after fifteen pints, if he plays his cards right, and is as good as he looks now, Kamui Kobayashi is a real star of the future. He has both a great aggressive streak - I would say he's one of the top five man-versus-man (as opposed to man-versus-clock) drivers, raw speed and an ability to combine those without stupid mistakes.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 4 Aug 2010 at 20:31.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2739548)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't see there being many changes in the field for next year; for instance McLaren, Ferrari, Williams, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and probably Mercedes will all field the same line up (assuming Schumacher doesn't retire of course). Renault will no doubt keep Kubica and given his improvements of late and funding, Petrov will probably be retained. I can't see Force India keeping Liuzzi, so that should see di Resta in there. Sauber will probably need some sponsors for next year so I expect de la Rosa to be dropped and probably Perez in his place (or for a bit of a wild card, maybe Guttierrez). I'd imagine Kobayashi will stay in the second seat. In terms of this years new teams, I'd guess Lotus will keep Trulli and Kovaleinen, unless a higher profile name becomes available although I guess there is always the possibility of Fauzy getting a drive, which would be a retrograde step in my view. I suspect that Virgin and HRT drivers will depend on funding although I'd imagine that the former would want to retain Glock.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:28 (Ref:2739564)   #10
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
There seems to be quite a push for Perez because he has Telmex backing as well as ability.
Yes, that's what I've heard too, and it makes sense. Wonder where Pedro would end up though, didn't he talk about moving to another team earlier this year? Difficult to see where he'd end up though.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2739568)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
If Lotus (or for that matter anyone else) want to build for the future, a Kovalainen/Kobayashi package could be a serious (and by that I mean WCC) force in two or three years. At the risk of sounding like I'm posting after fifteen pints, if he plays his cards right, and is as good as he looks now, Kamui Kobayashi is a real star of the future. He has both a great aggressive streak - I would say he's one of the top five man-versus-man (as opposed to man-versus-clock) drivers, raw speed and an ability to combine those without stupid mistakes.
You're right. He is very promising and I am excited to see how he does. His wheel-to-wheel stuff is good. He seems to have a great feel for where to place the car in a battle. And he's quick. Inexperienced but quick straight away.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2739570)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
I can't see there being many changes in the field for next year; for instance McLaren, Ferrari, Williams, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and probably Mercedes will all field the same line up (assuming Schumacher doesn't retire of course).
I wouldn't be surprised if Schumacher was "encouraged" to retire, his performances this year have been truly atrocious - with a driver who could provide better results, in the form of Nick Heidfeld, sitting there doing his GPDA Arthur Scargill bit in between thumb twiddling sessions in the Merc garage.

Quote:
Renault will no doubt keep Kubica and given his improvements of late and funding, Petrov will probably be retained.
Got to agree there, as the rumours tend to lean towards them needing the funding. Even so, Petrov has been pretty good for a rookie.

Quote:
I can't see Force India keeping Liuzzi, so that should see di Resta in there.
Have to agree there, it's tempting to suggest Liuzzi should be benched now but I'm not sure of Paul Di Resta has had enough seat time for him to be a valid proposition now.

Quote:
Sauber will probably need some sponsors for next year so I expect de la Rosa to be dropped and probably Perez in his place (or for a bit of a wild card, maybe Guttierrez). I'd imagine Kobayashi will stay in the second seat.
PDLR hasn't really justified his existence at the team. Doesn't Perez come with Telmex money?

Quote:
In terms of this years new teams, I'd guess Lotus will keep Trulli and Kovaleinen, unless a higher profile name becomes available although I guess there is always the possibility of Fauzy getting a drive, which would be a retrograde step in my view.
I don't forsee them going for Fairuz Fauzy for several reasons. He was presumably selected as test and reserve as part of the whole Malaysian business, which appears to be taking a spot on the backburner with the abandonment of plans to move to Malaysia, the potential purchase of the Team Lotus name and, IIRC, Tony Fernandes planning on moving to Norfolk. That means there is no reason to ignore the fact that he is either unimpressive or desperately slow depending on which part of his career you look at. However, I don't think Jarno Trulli is doing too well this year, if anyone is to be replaced it will be him.

Quote:
I suspect that Virgin and HRT drivers will depend on funding although I'd imagine that the former would want to retain Glock.
Assuming HRT will still be there next year, they will go for whoever brings the biggest cheques - even if we're talking Nissany and Kralev.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2739580)   #13
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Quote:
Got to agree there, as the rumours tend to lean towards them needing the funding. Even so, Petrov has been pretty good for a rookie.
I think this may be judgement based on the last two grand prixs, Hungry was an exceptional performance by Petrov and silverstone was solid if nothing else. Renault have had a good car just shy of the mercedes at the start of the year and now marginally better. As a result Kubica has had 2 podiums, a front row start, 100% into Q3 and has amassed 89 points. Petrov has only 2 top ten finishes (5th & 7th), got to Q3 on three occasions and has 17 points. The gap is too big rookie or not IMO

Quote:
However, I don't think Jarno Trulli is doing too well this year, if anyone is to be replaced it will be him.
Compared to Kovalinen he is probbly the weaker driver but this may sound daft but i think Kovalinen is driving the best of his career at the minute and he is enjoying what he's doing. In terms of swapping Trulli for Fauzy, i think trulli's experiance and development knowlage is worth millions to Lotus. He made the Toyota a better car when he joined however reg changes did scupper his work.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 09:53 (Ref:2739727)   #14
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
I think this may be judgement based on the last two grand prixs, Hungry was an exceptional performance by Petrov and silverstone was solid if nothing else. Renault have had a good car just shy of the mercedes at the start of the year and now marginally better. As a result Kubica has had 2 podiums, a front row start, 100% into Q3 and has amassed 89 points. Petrov has only 2 top ten finishes (5th & 7th), got to Q3 on three occasions and has 17 points. The gap is too big rookie or not IMO

You might be right but I think it's mostly a case of Kubica beeing excelent and the lack of testing for new drivers. F1 managment seriously need to bring back friday testing for third drivers!
Old 5 Aug 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2739738)   #15
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I agree with Kipper that Petrov will likely be retained. In recent years Renault have preferred to build the team around one man (Alonso, Kubica). As a competent driver with financial backing, Petrov is ideal for the second seat.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2739771)   #16
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
I realise that as we all saw Fisichella, Kovalinen, Piquet and now petrov playing second fiddle but from those only Petrov was a proper pay driver with mega backing IIRC. Piquet did bring some funds but Fisi was a veteran.

I dont think Glock would hassle Kubica too much but would be considerably faster than petrov. Surley this should be about having two drivers bringing home points for the WCC. Petrov might give them 7-8M a yer (for arguments sake) but he currently has 17 pts but if he had only 15 points less than Kubia so far, renault would go from 5th and jump ahead of mercedes into 4th. That must be worth a fair whack in TV money?
Old 5 Aug 2010, 21:22 (Ref:2740050)   #17
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Schumacher was "encouraged" to retire, his performances this year have been truly atrocious - with a driver who could provide better results, in the form of Nick Heidfeld, sitting there doing his GPDA Arthur Scargill bit in between thumb twiddling sessions in the Merc garage.

Shame he wasn't banned for a race, then we could see what Heidfeld is really capable of. I'd put him on par with Rosberg but no better.
Old 5 Aug 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2740057)   #18
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can they switch drivers when a driver is banned?

I'd like to see Petrov stay. Also I don't know what other driver Renault should employ that even brings in money and decent results / backing for Kubica, esp with the team trying to cut costs. But without Petrov changing, the whole driver market will not move much, will it? I'd love to see Heidfeld back and Glock in better car.
Heidfeld for Schu, Glock for Kobayashi, and Kob for Vettel
Old 7 Aug 2010, 05:53 (Ref:2740785)   #19
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
I really hope Heidfeld gets a seat at Mercedes or even Sauber. Perez will be in F1 sooner than Maldonado and he too can land at Sauber.
Old 7 Aug 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2740875)   #20
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannenmann View Post
Can they switch drivers when a driver is banned?
Not quite the same thing but Sauber replaced Massa with Frentzen for US 2002 to avoid a 10 place grid drop penalty...

Go on Mercedes, do the right thing
Old 9 Aug 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2741875)   #21
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone think Romain Grosjean would return to F1? He's currently doing wonders in GT1 and has a chance of winning the drivers championship.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 13:22 (Ref:2741889)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Does anyone think Romain Grosjean would return to F1?
I'd like to see him return because I think he is an excellent prospect. He didn't cover himself in glory last year, but it's fair to say that the conditions in which he entered the sport were far from ideal.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 13:47 (Ref:2741904)   #23
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I totally agree. I was almost afraid to become a Kobayashi fan after the two outings for Toyota, I was very impressed, but worried it would be a flash in the pan. Well now I think he's proven that he can race hard and make the most out of the strategy he's on, he's very mature in the cockpit.

(off topic: epic sig. duke_toaster! Newey is the Chuck Norris of F1 designers )

Grosjean didn't really get a fair crack at the whip, I don't believe he was as bad as some on the internet made him out to be.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2742160)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
It's not just us that thinks that about Kamui Kobayashi. I hate to hype up the guy, but I've seen a clip on YouTube (not posting links due to His Shortanic Majesty taking them down) where Japanese TV spoke to Italian, British (Eddie Jordan in this case) and German TV people about Kamui Kobayashi. Marc Surer says he "could be the best ever". I think Marc's getting a little ahead of himself, but that's some praise indeed. He seems a genuinely nice bloke off the track, which is an important factor bearing in mind the number of championships that have thrown away by bad intra-team relations.

Last edited by duke_toaster; 9 Aug 2010 at 21:43.
Old 9 Aug 2010, 21:51 (Ref:2742167)   #25
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Marc Surer says he "could be the best ever". I think Marc's getting a little ahead of himself, but that's some praise indeed.
Did he mean best Japanese driver ever?