Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:47 (Ref:3754955)   #8101
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wonder what they'll do with the drivers, because it says they'll keep the LMP1 team fully intact.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3754956)   #8102
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is such a shame
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:55 (Ref:3754959)   #8103
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
At least in lmp1, they can do what they're quoted as saying they can (but really can't) do in F-E. The only thing you can develop there is the drivetrain. No battery, no chassis, no aero etc. I really feel like it's just jumping on a bandwagon of appearing green for cheap.
Pretty much........
Old 28 Jul 2017, 05:56 (Ref:3754960)   #8104
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Based on Spa this weekend, we can maybe guess that one of them (who appears to be on loan from Audi Sport) might be headed "back home".

And FE is just playing the green card for cheap. It seems to me that VAG are trying to shake off the dieselgate image and spending millions of dollars a season running hybrid cars when they can run an electric billboard for a very small fraction of that cost.

I wouldn't be surprised if Toyota does the same thing eventually. FE is trendy and though I don't like it, car makers do because it promotes a green image and is cheap. Why do we think that Mercedes-Benz and BMW are there, especially considering the possible EU/German Gov't lawsuit against them and VAG for anti-trust/anti-competitive practices in the German auto industry?
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:15 (Ref:3754967)   #8105
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Based on Spa this weekend, we can maybe guess that one of them (who appears to be on loan from Audi Sport) might be headed "back home".

Surely that should say "on loan to Audi Sport"
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:21 (Ref:3754968)   #8106
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think that Lotterer either gave up his Audi Sport contract or his contract is with VAG as a whole. You also have to remember that every Audi Sport LMP1 driver did have an option in their contract that should the program get canceled they can do other things within VAG or in categories that VAG doesn't compete in. Which is why Jarvis is driving a Bentley in GT3 racing and JC/DCR in LMP2.

Only reason why Lotterer is with Porsche is either his Audi contract allowed him to exercise that option, or his contract is with VAG.

I find it a little too convenient for Andre to be with WRT in Spa during the week of the Porsche announcement.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:23 (Ref:3754971)   #8107
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Lotterer to Toyota next year
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:28 (Ref:3754974)   #8108
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Wonder what they'll do with the drivers, because it says they'll keep the LMP1 team fully intact.
Jani and Hartley to Formula e, Tandy and Bamber to GT racing, Lotterer going back to Audi and my biggest question mark is Bernhard.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:31 (Ref:3754977)   #8109
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Doubt it if his contract is with Audi Sport or Volkswagen Group and he doesn't have an opt out clause. Also, TMG have plenty of drivers on staff already, especially if they revert back to running two cars at LM next season.

Granted, we already know that Nico Lapierre won't be back because of LM this year, but even that would leave 8 drivers between two cars.

Unless there's an opt out clause in his contract or it expires (and he gets a paid, full season ride), I don't seen Lotterer going back to Toyota.

I already know he won't do Formula E, he's publicly said he doesn't like it and won't do it if he can avoid it. That pretty much leaves Audi or Porsche GT3 or Porsche GTE/GTLM. Porsche's GTE/GTLM program is packed with drivers, the Porsche GT3 program doesn't seem to be doing too hot against Audi, Ferrari, McLaren, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, especially in IMSA. I know that the Porsche GT3s are doing better in VLN, but in IMSA and BGT they seem to be nowhere.

So when you add that up, he could be going back to Audi Sport or maybe Bentley or Lamborghini in GT3. Or maybe VAG have something to do with the reported mystery DPI program in IMSA.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:32 (Ref:3754979)   #8110
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Jani and Hartley to Formula e, Tandy and Bamber to GT racing, Lotterer going back to Audi and my biggest question mark is Bernhard.
Isn't Timo nearly the same age as Dumas and Leib? And he's a team owner VLN and the Spa 24 this year. Timo probably won't go anywhere as far as being allied to Porsche. But will he be an active driver after this year with no LMP1 program and no room in GTE/GTLM?
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:36 (Ref:3754980)   #8111
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As expected, but probably not the right decision. The 919 had more life left in it.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:39 (Ref:3754981)   #8112
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Lotterer to Toyota next year

A toast, to the finest of posts.

Lotterer could go back to Japan full time (no WEC = no SGT/SF conflicts) and reduce his VAG commitments to the big races. He has options though, even without FE on the table.

Tandy/Bamber to GT and Jani/Hartley to FE seem the most likely destinations. As for Bernhard, I think he'll stay in prototypes, but as an LMP2 hot shoe like Jarvis & Albuquerque. Or he can wait a little longer and see how LMP1 privateer plays out, which should have quite a few drives to choose from.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:45 (Ref:3754985)   #8113
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Depends on what his contract with Audi Sport/Volkswagen Group/whoever will allow him to do, or if he's in a contract year and he's willing to let it lapse.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 06:58 (Ref:3754987)   #8114
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My question is how do you keep a P1 workforce on the books in FE? Will CORE end up being squeezed out in IMSA perhaps in favour of pure factory guys?

I'd assume we'll see 3 GTE Pro entries at least next year at Le Mans.

Not sure I'd be going to Toyota unless you want another one-year contract...
Old 28 Jul 2017, 07:02 (Ref:3754989)   #8115
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Not sure I'd be going to Toyota unless you want another one-year contract...
If he does go to Toyota, there is always GT500 where he would be very welcome.

Otherwise, how about Lotterer in the Bykolles? He's already driven for them before
Old 28 Jul 2017, 07:23 (Ref:3754995)   #8116
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whilst my brain understands the reasons behind this decision, my heart is devastated.

GTE is almost dead for me and I will observe the development of the FE car with a distant interest. FE will have to change immensely before it will generate anything like the love and enthusiasm that I have for sportscar racing. I have always enjoyed motorsport that is about the car and not about the man. FE is not that sport. Not at the moment anyway.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 07:25 (Ref:3754996)   #8117
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I don't think that Lotterer either gave up his Audi Sport contract or his contract is with VAG as a whole. You also have to remember that every Audi Sport LMP1 driver did have an option in their contract that should the program get canceled they can do other things within VAG or in categories that VAG doesn't compete in. Which is why Jarvis is driving a Bentley in GT3 racing and JC/DCR in LMP2.

Only reason why Lotterer is with Porsche is either his Audi contract allowed him to exercise that option, or his contract is with VAG.

I find it a little too convenient for Andre to be with WRT in Spa during the week of the Porsche announcement.

I said that, because in his Spa 24h driver announcement, Lotterer said his employer is Porsche.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 07:34 (Ref:3754997)   #8118
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disappointing but expected news. Part of me thinks this is on the ACO; they never learn. Budgets for the Hybrids were unsustainable - for what is 1 race (despite being a World Championship). Time for them to pull their finger out and sort out a proper LMP1 class - that is affordable......

FE is ticking the boxes for the Manufacturers; green, relatively small budget, and a growing media interest. What other new series has gained so many Manufacturers in such a small time? All that despite it being deadly dull.....
Old 28 Jul 2017, 08:57 (Ref:3755018)   #8119
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just sad really, Formula E is one of the worst things to happen to motorsport, a bang wagon that manufactures can't seem to jump on quick enough right now, could see this happening when it first started. Also poor form from Porsche pulling the plug at short notice
Old 28 Jul 2017, 09:49 (Ref:3755029)   #8120
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They're trying to remain relevant and attract big names to the series so that it's recognized.

True, but they didn't really attract any big names after Porsche (I'm not sure I can count Nissan)
Old 28 Jul 2017, 10:38 (Ref:3755038)   #8121
bobec
Racer

Here's the official WEC response.

http://fiawec.com/en/news/wec-statem...from-lmp1/5324

Feels a little vain to me, and the beginning reads like a subtle accusation, or at least disappointment. I don't remember this in the Audi withdrawal statement.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 10:45 (Ref:3755041)   #8122
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
Here's the official WEC response.

http://fiawec.com/en/news/wec-statem...from-lmp1/5324

Feels a little vain to me, and the beginning reads like a subtle accusation, or at least disappointment. I don't remember this in the Audi withdrawal statement.
I think the ACO is a bit miffed because Porsche did commit to 2020 and was a part of shaping the regulations for that time.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 10:52 (Ref:3755045)   #8123
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they are right to feel like Porsche stabbed them in the back. the departure of Porsche will cost them a lot of marketability, and may even cause Toyota to leave as well, making them even more unattractive to other manufacturers.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3755051)   #8124
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeW04 View Post
Just sad really, Formula E is one of the worst things to happen to motorsport, a bang wagon that manufactures can't seem to jump on quick enough right now, could see this happening when it first started. Also poor form from Porsche pulling the plug at short notice
Have to agree with this and I am a big Porsche fan.
Old 28 Jul 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3755053)   #8125
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I think the ACO is a bit miffed because Porsche did commit to 2020 and was a part of shaping the regulations for that time.
Akrapovic - wasn't there some ifno that suggested Porsche was not in favour of some of those 2020 regs? The idea of the first kilometer after a pit stop must be run under electric is both contrived and lame.

The ACO/FIA got the regs right in 2014 - let the engineers detrmine the best way to design their cars.