Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 11 Nov 2010, 21:05 (Ref:2788811)   #1
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knickerbrook

Was wondering if anybody thinks the old Knickerbrook corner will ever be put in to use again. I have to say that the chicane and the hairpin if using island circuit ruin an otherwise awesome circuit. The original circuit still exists and car and driver safety has come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years. It would be no more dangerous than some corners at other circuits. Be interesting to hear other opinions
Old 11 Nov 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2788823)   #2
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No chance.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 23:36 (Ref:2788881)   #3
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
No chance.
WHY?!
Old 11 Nov 2010, 23:39 (Ref:2788883)   #4
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It claimed one of the best up and coming drivers of the time, it became too fast with insufficient run off. R.I.P Paul Wawrick.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 00:11 (Ref:2788898)   #5
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
It claimed one of the best up and coming drivers of the time, it became too fast with insufficient run off. R.I.P Paul Wawrick.
That's "WHY"!
Old 12 Nov 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2789038)   #6
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is still used - albeit only on the Fosters short circuit, where the speed is much lower. There really isn't enough runoff to use it at the high speeds from the Island loop - and more can't be put in because of the road right behind the circuit wall.

I've always wondered why we have just one circuit standard. Slow cars don't need as much runoff as fast ones. So F3 couldn't use Knickerbrook, but maybe 2CVs could. Same at Combe with the chicanes there.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2789090)   #7
mattsmith
Rookie

England
Somerset
mattsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme View Post
I've always wondered why we have just one circuit standard. Slow cars don't need as much runoff as fast ones. So F3 couldn't use Knickerbrook, but maybe 2CVs could. Same at Combe with the chicanes there.
I drive one of the slowest cars in the Castle Combe saloons and I wouldn't want to have an off at Camp any faster than I can already go. The chicanes at Castle Combe are definitely a good thing
Old 12 Nov 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2789109)   #8
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The chicanes at Castle Combe are definitely a good thing

Hmmm......

Bladders.....
Old 13 Nov 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2789549)   #9
indigorallye
Racer

England
Cheshire
indigorallye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Oulton yesterday and there was a bit of work going on.
Unfortunately it wasn't at Knickerbrook, but further up Clay Hill and towards Druids. The barriers that are on the right are being moved back about six feet. It looks as though they are making that area, opposite the water tower, a spectator viewing point.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 12:50 (Ref:2789629)   #10
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, safety has increased but at the same time speeds have increased too. It's not a corner that could do with a SAFER barrier and there's a public road that'd need to be moved and land to be bought to get the land needed and freed to extend the run off area. And even then it would likely be quite dangerous.
Old 13 Nov 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2789694)   #11
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I remember when we used to do stage rallies at Oulton back in the 80's, and we were in a V12 XJS manual - I noted my driver changing into top gear as we came over hilltop and accelerating hard towards Knickerbrook - we arrived there far too quickly of course and he just threw the car into the corner - as we hurtled across the grass I thought of helpful things to say like "mind the tyres" but decided it probably wouldn't help much....with phenomenal car control he got an armful of opposite lock on and kept his foot in, all the time looking over his shoulder to check where the car we'd just passed was - then we shot back onto the circuit, and rocketed past him again as we approached Druids

It was only when we got back to the paddock that I discovered we'd peeled the rubber bumper cover off the back bumper against the Knickerbrook tyre wall.......we got an announcement over the Tannoy to say the marshals had got it for us

I loved the old Knickerbrook......
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2790430)   #12
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorallye View Post
I was at Oulton yesterday and there was a bit of work going on.
Unfortunately it wasn't at Knickerbrook, but further up Clay Hill and towards Druids. The barriers that are on the right are being moved back about six feet. It looks as though they are making that area, opposite the water tower, a spectator viewing point.
Just for confirmation can you confirm that its the barrier on the right, (the infield side being pushed back and that there will be spectator viewing on the Druids side of the bridge on the outside of the circuit, as currently this is an out of bounds area

(I regularly marshal at Oulton and as yet we dont know what is changing over the off season so this is a good insight)
Old 14 Nov 2010, 19:25 (Ref:2790491)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
Just for confirmation can you confirm that its the barrier on the right, (the infield side being pushed back and that there will be spectator viewing on the Druids side of the bridge on the outside of the circuit, as currently this is an out of bounds area
I believe the barrier after the Water Tower post is being moved back so that it will be more or less parallel to the edge of the track, rather than angled towards the track as it is at present.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2790555)   #14
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
It's not a corner that could do with a SAFER barrier and there's a public road that'd need to be moved and land to be bought to get the land needed and freed to extend the run off area. And even then it would likely be quite dangerous.
And in the mean time they have a million miles of land on the inside to recreate the original corner. I.e. the part they used for rallying or rx if I'm correct.
But that is the problem nowadays, ruin all great corners and put something daft in.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 21:07 (Ref:2791828)   #15
indigorallye
Racer

England
Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post

(I regularly marshal at Oulton and as yet we dont know what is changing over the off season so this is a good insight)
All i can say is that they were putting up a new armco barrier on the infield side, beyond the bridge and on the approach to Druids.
It's about six feet further away from the track than the current one.

I don't know what their plan is. It would be nice to get trackside in that area (by the woods).

I didn't see any work which indicated spectator access to the outside of Druids.
Old 16 Nov 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2791852)   #16
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy V View Post
And in the mean time they have a million miles of land on the inside to recreate the original corner. I.e. the part they used for rallying or rx if I'm correct.
But that is the problem nowadays, ruin all great corners and put something daft in.
There's no RX at Oulton i believe. There's a small but deep lake on the inside which could prove problematic although I shouldn't say much. *points at Flevoland*
Old 17 Nov 2010, 17:44 (Ref:2792185)   #17
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
All i can say is that they were putting up a new armco barrier on the infield side, beyond the bridge and on the approach to Druids.
It's about six feet further away from the track than the current one.

I don't know what their plan is. It would be nice to get trackside in that area (by the woods).

I didn't see any work which indicated spectator access to the outside of Druids.
I think I know what you are meaning. They opened up access to the inside of Druids a few years back and what a fantastic spot it is. But you can only go so far round until you come to a fence. It'd be great if you could walk right up the inside of Clay Hill to Druids without having to detour through the woods.
Old 17 Nov 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2792214)   #18
indigorallye
Racer

England
Cheshire
Quote:
There's no RX at Oulton i believe. There's a small but deep lake on the inside which could prove problematic although I shouldn't say much. *points at Flevoland*
There is a 'drifting' circuit which was used by the rally boys at the Gold Cup. I think it would be better used as a pro-kart track!

Quote:
It'd be great if you could walk right up the inside of Clay Hill to Druids without having to detour through the woods
I agree, and it would make a great photo point. You would have the footbridge in the background framing the car/s, with Cheshire's rolling landscape beyond (or a car park during the big events).
Old 17 Nov 2010, 18:53 (Ref:2792217)   #19
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
There is a 'drifting' circuit which was used by the rally boys at the Gold Cup. I think it would be better used as a pro-kart track!
It's actually a "rally stage" which the drifters have used a few times.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2792715)   #20
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They used to do RX at Oulton think it was prob in the 80's. If you stand at Knickerbrook looking over to the inside of the track the RX cars used to go down there. Now recovery vehicles etc park where the track was.

Its a shame they dont use the corner any more but i suppose its safety first. Like others say hardly no run off and no space to make any.