Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 25 Jan 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2619230)   #1
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fire Extinguiser Servicing

My fire extinguisher expired last month, but has never been used, the gauge is still on full or pointing at green end of the scale.

Its a SPA 2.25 litre electrical. SPA want £100 to service it, can this be checked and serviced by any fire extingusher place from the yellow pages? I feel SPA are trying to rip people off by saying it can only be done by them.

Any thoughts, tips welcome.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 17:37 (Ref:2619258)   #2
ascona i2000
Racer

ascona i2000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF_Racer View Post
My fire extinguisher expired last month, but has never been used, the gauge is still on full or pointing at green end of the scale.

Its a SPA 2.25 litre electrical. SPA want £100 to service it, can this be checked and serviced by any fire extingusher place from the yellow pages? I feel SPA are trying to rip people off by saying it can only be done by them.

I was at Merlin motorsport a few weeks ago (Castle Combe) and they can service SPA and lifeline bottles. They qouted me £30 to service my SPA. Hope this helps?
Old 25 Jan 2010, 17:48 (Ref:2619270)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just look in yellow pages,for that type expect to pay about 15/20£.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2619278)   #4
RF_Racer
Veteran

Thanks Terence. Would that be FIA compliant? I mean the safety test/check, I guess they would sign and date it? as I plan on doing a few meetings in Europe this year.
Old 25 Jan 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2619285)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
If you dont need to go to Europe then leave it. If you need it done then Merlin or you could try Lanan Racing in Bedford
Old 25 Jan 2010, 22:16 (Ref:2619420)   #6
SFurness
Racer

England
Leicestershire
SFurness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I had mine tested/checked at Lifeline in Coventry, £30/40, I was told if an extinguisher is more than two years out of date from its last service they won't touch it.

Steve
Old 26 Jan 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2619633)   #7
SPA-DESIGN
Rookie

SPA-DESIGN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Be sure of your facts before making claims like that.

Fire extinguishers are a safety product and as such require regular maintenance and service this is a requirement for both commercial and motor sport applications.

The gauge indicates the stored pressure in the bottle, being in the green is no guarantee the system will perform as it should, the extinguishant fluid used with in the cylinder has a shelf life and over time will deteriorate as do all things in life thus effecting the overall performance of the system.

The governing bodies of motor sport (NOT SPA) require fire systems to be checked every 2 years by the manufacturer or an official service agent of the manufacturer.

2 year service prices can vary from £15 - £80 plus carriage and VAT depending on model, mechanical operated systems are cheaper than electrical versions, in the case of electrical systems if they have been fired there is a rearming charge as well.

You could well get it serviced by an independent commercial fire extinguisher company who will just look at the gauge and re-label it with a label that is not official for racing resulting in the race scrutinizers denying you permission to race.

If by chance they do refill the system they will use a basic commercial AFFF extinguishant fluid which is not suitable for the various race fuels used in motor sport, we use a special formula of AFFF which is tried and tested and will work on all types of fuel like methanol, ethanol, diesel and alcohol based fuels.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2619644)   #8
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPA-DESIGN View Post
The governing bodies of motor sport (NOT SPA) require fire systems to be checked every 2 years by the manufacturer or an official service agent of the manufacturer.
Be sure of the facts before making claims like that! The MSA do not require 24 month servicing, they just require the gauge to show a pressure.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 13:58 (Ref:2619667)   #9
RF_Racer
Veteran

Thanks Tristan, the MSA does not require 24 month servicing. What are the FIA requirements? What do they actually check? I could go to my local place and get it serviced by them for 20 quid inc a label to say its been serviced. Does SPA service it and put an official FIA label? ie similar to Helmets having HANS clips fitted and is accompanied by the FIA label.
Old 26 Jan 2010, 14:37 (Ref:2619686)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
You'll need an official FIA sticker for Europe and it must be within 2 years old. For UK clubbies you need the gauge in the green. I wouldn't risk getting just any extinguisher company to service it as their sticker may invalidate the whole unit as far as the MSA is concerned plus why take the risk with something that could save your car or even your life.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2620253)   #11
RF_Racer
Veteran

Well thats an interesting one. I have a 2.25 SPA Firesense, it has no FIA Logo, just a lable which is filled in by a permanent marker. I was sold this Item by demon tweeks just over 2 years ago as an FIA, MSA approved item. Even on SPA's website it says they are FIA approved.

This all seems to be a bit of a contradiction to be honest.

I run a formula ford, it runs on normal pump fuel, so The usual stuff from my local place with be just fine. Im not wasting £100 to get it looked at by SPA because they put some magic stuff that can extinguish methanol fire. Also mentions on their website that if the unit is over 2 years old they wont look it, again seems a joke! I wont be buying one from there again.

Last edited by RF_Racer; 27 Jan 2010 at 11:23.
Old 27 Jan 2010, 14:01 (Ref:2620343)   #12
Stuart H
Veteran

England
Wellingborough
Stuart H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Think that Demon Tweeks also service SPA fire extinguisher's as well, but dont hold me to that.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 10:07 (Ref:2620884)   #13
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fire extinguisher debate finaly cleared and sorted, (I dont think). I am even more confused now than with the other debates.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 28 Jan 2010, 10:17 (Ref:2620889)   #14
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Falce View Post
The fire extinguisher debate finaly cleared and sorted, (I dont think). I am even more confused now than with the other debates.
What part are you confused about?

Quote:
Well thats an interesting one. I have a 2.25 SPA Firesense, it has no FIA Logo, just a lable which is filled in by a permanent marker. I was sold this Item by demon tweeks just over 2 years ago as an FIA, MSA approved item. Even on SPA's website it says they are FIA approved.
When I said FIA, I meant the sticker that the manufacturer provides which I assume would suit the FIA.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 11:16 (Ref:2620923)   #15
RF_Racer
Veteran

It all sounds a bit suspect to me. I think we need some clear clarification on this.
Old 28 Jan 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2621056)   #16
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Quote:
It all sounds a bit suspect to me. I think we need some clear clarification on this.
What needs clarifying?
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2621087)   #17
RF_Racer
Veteran

I will wait for my blue book to arrive for 2010 and then I will see what the situation is. If anyone can service it, I will be happy to pay 15-20 to a local company, even if it is regular AFFF it will do becuase I only use super unleaded. Not bothered spending upto £100 some super formula that will extingush methenol or ethenol....
Old 28 Jan 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2621089)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just go to fia.com,that should give a few options,the first section is in La Francais but scroll down untill you get to the English Section.

Try scrolling down to page 8 paragraph 14.12.98. Everything you need to know about getting them serviced,from the horses mouth
Old 29 Jan 2010, 14:15 (Ref:2621700)   #19
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always get my race cars checked & re-labled when my business extinghuisher get there yearly check, never had any scruitineering problems
Old 29 Jan 2010, 14:23 (Ref:2621705)   #20
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy robinson View Post
I always get my race cars checked & re-labled when my business extinghuisher get there yearly check, never had any scruitineering problems
Same with me and I haven't had any problems either
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Jan 2010, 20:46 (Ref:2621955)   #21
redturner37
Rookie

England
Nottingham
redturner37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Same with me and I haven't had any problems either
Same here. I let the people who do the ones in the workshop do it and get a freebie. They dont just look at it, it is removed, weighed and then signed off. I do a couple of events on the Continent each year and they insist that they are in date.
Old 29 Jan 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2621983)   #22
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Some of you may remember that I had an under bonnet fire a couple of years ago that the "genuine" (filled from new) extinguisher failed to put out.(there was a "longish" thread about it at the time).
As some of us know because of legislation the old Halon ones (that were brilliant) were fazed out and replaced with a less effective type.
The firm that refills my extinguishers at work belongs to and old friend that has done nothing else for 40+ years and refills/weighs loads of different types for all sorts of applications including motor racing. Ironically he has a couple of Halon ones hanging on his wall in his workshop.
My point is if its done properly and as there is no proper clarification, why should it matter who does it ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 29 Jan 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2621995)   #23
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard that four pints of Larkins, properly processed will put anything out.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 29 Jan 2010, 23:09 (Ref:2622029)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well to be quite honest Eric, I probably would have done just as well standing on the roof and taking aim for what good the other equipment did
Old 1 Feb 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2623596)   #25
SPA-DESIGN
Rookie

SPA-DESIGN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
Be sure of the facts before making claims like that! The MSA do not require 24 month servicing, they just require the gauge to show a pressure.
I didn't mention specific organizations through out the world many have differing rules and the original question was regarding FIA approval, for your information the MSA advises you to follow manufacturer’s recommendations which are 2 years, it used to be quite clear but over the last 2 years it's become a grey area I was speaking to a senior MSA scrutineer recently who was planning to bring this very subject up at their next meeting

Quote:

This all seems to be a bit of a contradiction to be honest.

I run a formula ford, it runs on normal pump fuel, so The usual stuff from my local place with be just fine. Im not wasting £100 to get it looked at by SPA because they put some magic stuff that can extinguish methanol fire. Also mentions on their website that if the unit is over 2 years old they wont look it, again seems a joke! I wont be buying one from there again.
The 2.25 litre systems are not FIA approved there labels do not have a homologation number, we do not sell or advertise them as FIA and if you look at our website correctly you will see they are listed as MSA there is a different section for FIA systems.

3.375 / 4 litre systems are generally used for FIA events and as of 1998 the label should detail the homologation number.

There are many formulas of AFFF for differing applications we don’t use a magic stuff we use the best tried and tested formula for all applications of racing fuel, the product is a safety product maintaining it is in your best interests.

The over 2 years service policy is something applied by other manufacturers as well, there is flexibility on this subject we realize that some customers store cars for a period of time, contact us first for advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart H View Post
Think that Demon Tweeks also service SPA fire extinguisher's as well, but dont hold me to that.

Demon Tweeks return all systems manufactured by us to ourselves for service.