Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 2 Aug 2010, 03:27 (Ref:2737918)   #1
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schedule of all racing in the UK?

I'm about to move to the UK for a year (I'm excited!) and I'm planning on going to the races like I never could before (I'm from Canada). I'm having a hard time finding a schedule covering all the racing I could see (it's alright when I'm looking for the BTCC or other high profile series but club racing and anything below BOSS is hard if not impossible). If such calendars exist, can anyone link them?

I would also like to know what tracks are reasonably close/accessible from Birmingham (where I will be working). Donington and Silverstone look kinda close but it's hard for me to imagine exactly how easy it can be to get there since I have never lived in he UK.

Thanks in advance!
Old 2 Aug 2010, 04:47 (Ref:2737932)   #2
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The official RAC MSA website will have a full list of all UK events and venues.

From Birmingham most circuits are within reasonable distance, with Silverstone, Donington Park, Mallory Park, Rockingham, Oulton Park and Castle Combe all been under 2 hours drive. Thruxton is a bit longer. Snetterton and Brands are about 3 hours. Knockhill is about 6 hours drive, but so are places like Spa and Zandvoort!

Don't miss out on watching a speed Hillclimb at Shelsley Walsh, near Worcester, it's a lovelely place to watch an interesting form of motorsport and is the oldest motorsport venue in continuous use.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2737957)   #3
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://msauk.org/site/cms/contentCha...ixture0%2Easpx gives you a search tool to see what is available.
Old 2 Aug 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2738170)   #4
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could use the events list from the marshals volunteering website. If you use the Excel version then you can filter on dates and locations. The list itself doesn't give you much idea what is on at each event, but once you've found something that interests you then a quick look at either the venue's website of maybe the organising club's website will get you more information.

http://www.marshals.org.uk/index.htm
Old 2 Aug 2010, 13:18 (Ref:2738178)   #5
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
http://msauk.org/site/cms/contentCha...ixture0%2Easpx gives you a search tool to see what is available.
But according to that the BTCC at Snetterton doesnt exist

Theres also http://www.racedates.com/ but that doesnt have the F3/GT meetings on it so I'm guessing that the marshals list is probably the most comprehensive but not always the most up to date
Old 2 Aug 2010, 13:33 (Ref:2738183)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
See:

http://www.itsmymotorsport.co.uk/
Old 4 Aug 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2739129)   #7
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
I'm about to move to the UK for a year (I'm excited!) and I'm planning on going to the races like I never could before (I'm from Canada). I'm having a hard time finding a schedule covering all the racing I could see (it's alright when I'm looking for the BTCC or other high profile series but club racing and anything below BOSS is hard if not impossible). If such calendars exist, can anyone link them?

I would also like to know what tracks are reasonably close/accessible from Birmingham (where I will be working). Donington and Silverstone look kinda close but it's hard for me to imagine exactly how easy it can be to get there since I have never lived in he UK.

Thanks in advance!
Silverstone is the nearest and easy to get to from Birmingham. Just head for the M40 (junction 10). Only takes me about an hour from London.
Old 4 Aug 2010, 08:02 (Ref:2739238)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Silverstone is the nearest and easy to get to from Birmingham.
Mallory's much nearer!
Old 4 Aug 2010, 08:20 (Ref:2739246)   #9
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shelsey - 38
Mallory Park - 39
Donington Park - 50
Silverstone - 63

So all within an easy (car) journey.

Regards

Jim
(Distances from central Birmingham to venue entrance. Approximately.)
Old 4 Aug 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2739292)   #10
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TSL Timing's diary is good for events they're doing the timing for. You can usually find the full line-up and a timetable close to the day. You could also try the organising clubs' own websites for further info.

http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=diary

Also a few more UK events listed at MST World...

http://www.mstworld.com/msportrounds...2010&series=UK

Calendar of the British Hill Climb Championship events here:
http://www.top12runoff.co.uk/
Old 16 Aug 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2745126)   #11
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the size of Canada I'd say everything is close to Birmingham in comparison! As well as the ones mentioned places like Castle Combe and Oulton Park are only an hour and a half drive away. Brands Hatch is 2 and a half hours as well. Birmingham is the best place to be in the country for motorsport!
Old 16 Aug 2010, 13:19 (Ref:2745209)   #12
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys!

I live in an interesting part of Canada and went to Trois-Rivières, Mont-Tremblant and to the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve free F1 pitwalk day this summer, so it's not so bad. It's just that events are rare and very far apart in time.

I won't have a car and will therefore be relying on public transportation during my stay; is it possible to get to the circuits using buses and trains? (let's take the BTCC finale at Brands or a trip to the Donington museum for example)
Old 16 Aug 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2745212)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
not unless you're feeling adventurous... brands will require a cab from swanley station to the circuit (probably about £25 return). donington will require a fair old walk from the nearest bus stop (castle donington? or perhaps the airport), snetterton is a cab ride again, probably about the same price as brands.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 19:29 (Ref:2749653)   #14
ScoopJumps
Racer

United States
ScoopJumps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you're going to have a weekend of watching racing it's probably better and more cost effective for you to get a cheap hire car, assuming you drive. Circuits here are deliberately away from towns and cities because of the noise and traffic.

Enterprise rent a car do deals from £12 a day according to their website although I haven't looked any further to see if there is any hidden charges. Might be worth some checking out.