Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 Jun 2013, 13:10 (Ref:3259726)   #1
sachichas
Rookie

sachichas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nissan Infiniti irl engines

Hello out there
I've recently been organising my late fathers workshop and have discovered a large number of infinity irl engine parts roughly 2 complete rebuilds worth.subsequently I've been trying to find a bit more info out about them which is proving pretty thin on the ground
If anyone could give me any info on them it would be greatly appreciated
Old 9 Jun 2013, 17:05 (Ref:3259850)   #2
sachichas
Rookie

sachichas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nissan infiniti irl engines

hey folks
if anyone out there has any info on the nissan infiniti irl indy car engines they could give me it would be greatly appreciated
Old 12 Jun 2013, 04:54 (Ref:3261258)   #3
rwindle
Rookie

United States
Dallas, Texas
rwindle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This might help as there is some reference to the two types of Infiniti powerplant in this thread:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122055

Also, I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that Ed Pink maintained some of these engines when they were running in IRL. Ed Pink is in Southern California, their website is simply edpink.com.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 15:21 (Ref:3275415)   #4
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was previously an Infiniti IRL engine designer at TWR for 6 months before TWR went pop, I was around the time of the transition between the old bucket-follower heads, to the new finger-follower heads, which was a still-born project as Infinity (nissan) pulled the financial plug the week before I joined!!!.......really what are you looking to know???.......I know several of the TWR design guys that had several years experience on the Infiniti project, the main man you want to talk to is Dave Bedborough, he was the cheif design engineer and he now works for a lawn-mower company, so I'm sure he will be willing to talk without confidentiality issues, I will pm you his e-mail address........what are you looking to do with them???........if you are looking to run them on regular pump gas please be very careful, they were designed to run on ethanol, therefore the compression ratio is very very high........I seem to remember in the region of 14 to 16:1.......I think
Old 8 Jul 2013, 19:21 (Ref:3275541)   #5
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lights?

Could they be Indy Lights engine parts? I seem to recall that the Lights engine was at one point based on that from the Infiniti Q45 or something?

EDIT - knighty (above) likely knows a lot more.

Last edited by rwintle; 8 Jul 2013 at 19:23. Reason: Realized an expert posted above me...