Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Apr 2018, 04:50 (Ref:3816443)   #76
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
that looks pretty good
it is a mish mash, but yes, yes it does
Old 19 Apr 2018, 04:55 (Ref:3816444)   #77
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great to see it back. I'm not a fan of the Mustang at all, so this will give me a true rival to hate again.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 04:58 (Ref:3816445)   #78
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The more pictures of the Mustang I see the more convinced I am the COTF existing roll cage or the shape of the car will have to be modified to suit.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 05:26 (Ref:3816447)   #79
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As a bit of Mustang trivia, Beecheys 1965 ATCC title win in the Neptune Racing Mustang was the first ever V8 powered Australian Touring Car Championship winner.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 05:30 (Ref:3816449)   #80
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
The more pictures of the Mustang I see the more convinced I am the COTF existing roll cage or the shape of the car will have to be modified to suit.
Im agreeing with you,

Just as a base, the mustang is 3 inches lower than the falcon. and that curve of the coupe will be interesting to see fit.

I wonder if that is something that is allowed to eb changed
Old 19 Apr 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3816466)   #81
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The person who can work out aero parity will need to be very clever.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 09:52 (Ref:3816473)   #82
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Story on Mustang technical challenge
Old 19 Apr 2018, 11:05 (Ref:3816477)   #83
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As a bit of Mustang trivia, Beecheys 1965 ATCC title win in the Neptune Racing Mustang was the first ever V8 powered Australian Touring Car Championship winner.
And if I recall my facts correctly, the 1st Mustang race winner worldwide
Old 19 Apr 2018, 12:27 (Ref:3816490)   #84
banksie
Racer

Australia
Victoria
banksie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The mustang must be changed to fit the chassis, not the other way around. In previous years the rear doors on the commodore supercar were smaller than the road car to fit the COTF roll cage.

But with a general move to smaller cars, ZB smaller than VE/VF, Mustang smaller than FG, maybe at Gen 3 (or 4) the category will shrink the chassis size. Probably only talking 100mm in height and length.
Old 19 Apr 2018, 12:50 (Ref:3816496)   #85
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
That was the claim for many years, but I think that was proved false wasn't it?
Old 19 Apr 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3816497)   #86
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
Roy Pierpoint won the first race of the 1965 BTCC (or BSCC as it was known then) season in March (13th) at the BSCC support race at Race of Champions non F1 race meeting .

Beechey won the ATCC race (and title) on 11th April at Sandown. (The title was decided over one race back then) Beechey was therefore the first National (Saloon/Touring) Car Championship winner in a Mustang.

Proviso: The only thing I cannot physically confirm at the moment is whether Pierpoint's win was an outright win as well as a class win. I know he won the class and believe he also won outright but currently dont have the outright result at hand. If he did not win outright as well then Stormin' Norman has the first outright (Touring Car) race winning Mustang accolade as well. I emphasise Touring Car because I have the feeling a Mustang may have won an SCCA event in the US previously.

Last edited by E.B; 19 Apr 2018 at 13:14. Reason: Added proviso
Old 19 Apr 2018, 23:44 (Ref:3816578)   #87
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wondering out loud here, I cant help but think that the Ford teams running what is essentially a 'hero car' in the Mustang will get a significant advantage over some of the Holden teams when it comes to sponsorship and marketing.

Obviously I'm not talking about the larger teams like Red Bull T8, but further down the field, some of whom are rotating sponsors and liveries by the round.

If the car is competitive, will we see companies looking to the sexy Mustang versus the European Commodore or the aging Nissans to place their names?
Old 20 Apr 2018, 00:57 (Ref:3816581)   #88
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Wondering out loud here, I cant help but think that the Ford teams running what is essentially a 'hero car' in the Mustang will get a significant advantage over some of the Holden teams when it comes to sponsorship and marketing.

Obviously I'm not talking about the larger teams like Red Bull T8, but further down the field, some of whom are rotating sponsors and liveries by the round.

If the car is competitive, will we see companies looking to the sexy Mustang versus the European Commodore or the aging Nissans to place their names?
Very good point.

Imagine Mustangs, Camaros and GTRs involved while poor Roland invested god know how much into developing a car no one wants...

Would love to see the series become 2 door, "sports car" focused. I've always found the idea of a Mustang racing much more relevant than a Falcon, not to mention the marketing that stems from a more synergistic race car/road car relationship
Old 20 Apr 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3816631)   #89
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
*cautiously pokes head in and looks around*

*sees a Supercars thread where everyone's happy and celebrating*

*dies from utter shock*
Old 20 Apr 2018, 11:52 (Ref:3816637)   #90
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
*cautiously pokes head in and looks around*

*sees a Supercars thread where everyone's happy and celebrating*

*dies from utter shock*
Old 20 Apr 2018, 12:35 (Ref:3816640)   #91
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happens if current Holden team wishes to swap sides?

Are we going to see a 888 type arrangement with the Ford IP stuff. Exclusive to DJRTP and Tickford?

Roger Penske has previously stated he has no interest in the 888 business model. So you would think Tickford might try to tie up a kit supplier deal?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 20 Apr 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3816655)   #92
M91
Rookie

M91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridM91 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA View Post
What happens if current Holden team wishes to swap sides?

Are we going to see a 888 type arrangement with the Ford IP stuff. Exclusive to DJRTP and Tickford?

Roger Penske has previously stated he has no interest in the 888 business model. So you would think Tickford might try to tie up a kit supplier deal?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
https://www.autosport.com/sup/news/135493/ford-mustang-wont-be-customer-money-grab
Old 20 Apr 2018, 22:05 (Ref:3816697)   #93
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Tickford boss predicts Camaro will enter Supercars
Old 21 Apr 2018, 00:12 (Ref:3816716)   #94
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
Im agreeing with you,

Just as a base, the mustang is 3 inches lower than the falcon. and that curve of the coupe will be interesting to see fit.

I wonder if that is something that is allowed to eb changed
Looking at the dimensional differences, I don't think the changes needed to adapt will be terribly noticeable.

In the video you linked, it was noted that the Supercars chassis is longer and taller than the roadgoing Mustang, but what was NOT noted is that it's also wider.

So the Mustang body has to be enlarged in all directions to fit the chassis, so I think proportionally it will not look terribly different to the road car. The height difference is larger than the width difference(three inches to just over one), so it may look a little off from the front and back, but I doubt it'll be too obvious.
Old 21 Apr 2018, 00:15 (Ref:3816717)   #95
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
So I guess Mattel was predicting the future when they made this:
Old 21 Apr 2018, 00:19 (Ref:3816718)   #96
Ospi
Veteran

Ospi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOspi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I highly doubt we'll be able to tell with the naked eye, we haven't with the modified cars in the past. When you consider the time and costs associated with a modified chassis on top of what would be a lot of bickering about frontal areas , it's just not worth it. The panels will be bespoke anyway, not like they'll be modifying ones from the factory floor.

Hope we do see the Camaro, would be great if WAU were granted permission to develop it but I'd be surprised if GM would allow it to run alongside the ZB.
Old 21 Apr 2018, 01:44 (Ref:3816721)   #97
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*If* WAU were able to develop a Camaro to be on track within 18 months, it'd be interesting to see what that would do to Roland's ZB business model, particularly if one or two teams went the Camaro route.
Old 21 Apr 2018, 03:53 (Ref:3816729)   #98
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
*If* WAU were able to develop a Camaro to be on track within 18 months, it'd be interesting to see what that would do to Roland's ZB business model, particularly if one or two teams went the Camaro route.
You would assume Roland crosses his T's and dots his I's

His contract with General Motors as the factory backed team in the Supercars Series, and his business model around this, would preclude someone else gettimg GM approval to introduce another GM model into the series without his involvement.
Old 23 Apr 2018, 04:40 (Ref:3816966)   #99
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Roy Pierpoint won the first race of the 1965 BTCC (or BSCC as it was known then) season in March (13th) at the BSCC support race at Race of Champions non F1 race meeting .

Beechey won the ATCC race (and title) on 11th April at Sandown. (The title was decided over one race back then) Beechey was therefore the first National (Saloon/Touring) Car Championship winner in a Mustang.

Proviso: The only thing I cannot physically confirm at the moment is whether Pierpoint's win was an outright win as well as a class win. I know he won the class and believe he also won outright but currently dont have the outright result at hand. If he did not win outright as well then Stormin' Norman has the first outright (Touring Car) race winning Mustang accolade as well. I emphasise Touring Car because I have the feeling a Mustang may have won an SCCA event in the US previously.
Just for the sake of completion on this I have had a chance to check results and can now confirm that Pierpoint did in fact win the Brands race in his Mustang thus putting paid to the myth that Beechey had the first ever Mustang Touring/Saloon Car race win.

Full details (race report and results) and the late Frank de Jong's website:
http://touringcarracing.net/Races/19...tch%20RoC.html
Old 23 Apr 2018, 05:20 (Ref:3816968)   #100
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
You would assume Roland crosses his T's and dots his I's

His contract with General Motors as the factory backed team in the Supercars Series, and his business model around this, would preclude someone else gettimg GM approval to introduce another GM model into the series without his involvement.
Is his agreement with GM or Holden?

If its just with Holden and as is mooted that Holden is less than 1% of GM's worldwide revenue then I think Holden maybe on shaky ground in the future.

GM may well adopt the Ford model for raising their profile. The Camaro could well be the vehicle to invoke the Ford GM battle. But then again GM has stated its not interested in right hand drive cars in the foreseable future