Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Oct 2017, 05:18 (Ref:3771440)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allan Moffat's new book

There is a new autobiography of Moffatt out written in conjunction with well known motoring writer John Smailes.

It can’ t be expected to be a best seller by some people, as I see Big W have it for sale at $20 compared with a RRP of $39.99
Old 3 Oct 2017, 06:03 (Ref:3771444)   #2
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
It can’ t be expected to be a best seller by some people, as I see Big W have it for sale at $20 compared with a RRP of $39.99
Big W often do that with new books. The first few weeks of sale are at a huge discount to give it a kick along. Wait a few weeks and it will be back up again, if you want it, buy it now, or wait a year until its on the throw out table.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 06:14 (Ref:3771447)   #3
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've started reading it.

Enjoyable so far. He doesn't pull any punches when writing about Norm Beechey or Bob Jane.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 06:20 (Ref:3771448)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Read the extract on the Fox Sports site. Looks like a good read.
Old 3 Oct 2017, 22:49 (Ref:3771625)   #5
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I might pick this up whilst its half price.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 03:10 (Ref:3771665)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A Book Review...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 5 Oct 2017, 04:54 (Ref:3771959)   #7
Terry S
Racer

I just bought my copy from the local Big W for $24.00. Seems to be their regular shelf price now that sale finished.

Moffatt And Smailes will be laughing if lots of sales at these low prices, as author’s royalties are based on Recommended Retail Price and not Sale Prics
Old 5 Oct 2017, 04:57 (Ref:3771960)   #8
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I just bought my copy from the local Big W for $24.00. Seems to be their regular shelf price now that sale finished.

Moffatt And Smailes will be laughing if lots of sales at these low prices, as author’s royalties are based on Recommended Retail Price and not Sale Prics
Big W nearly always have new releases well under the RRP.

If does appear that for Allan first impressions really count. Has me wondering about my one and only meeting with the great man as a pimply teenager.

Did you pick-up the Alan Jones autobiography?
Old 5 Oct 2017, 05:30 (Ref:3771966)   #9
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Big W nearly always have new releases well under the RRP.

If does appear that for Allan first impressions really count. Has me wondering about my one and only meeting with the great man as a pimply teenager.

Did you pick-up the Alan Jones autobiography?
Ive read the Alan Jones book. That was pretty straight forward which I enjoyed as I cant stand reading something that's all fluff and PR. Some good tales especially about his time at Williams and life after F1. No love for Larry Perkins.
Old 9 Oct 2017, 03:48 (Ref:3773124)   #10
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Ive read the Alan Jones book. That was pretty straight forward which I enjoyed as I cant stand reading something that's all fluff and PR. Some good tales especially about his time at Williams and life after F1. No love for Larry Perkins.
Most of those he had a go at you could predict. Not sure why he got stuck into Jimmy Stone of all people.

Not 100% convinced the book isn't a brown paper bag job.
Old 5 Oct 2017, 07:40 (Ref:3771990)   #11
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The AJ book is another one I'll add to the collection.

Also considering tracking down a copy of the Skaife book.
Old 9 Oct 2017, 00:48 (Ref:3773111)   #12
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have got both, but not read them yet.

Most recently I read the Jack Murray book by his son Phil, very entertaining although the structure of the book made the overall picture a little hard to follow as it dealt with the different areas of his life separately - trials, motor racing, travel, water skiing, etc - he had a very full life! Some of the stories are well-known but I would challenge anyone not to learn something new from the book.
Old 18 Oct 2017, 06:42 (Ref:3774798)   #13
Terry S
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875 View Post

Most recently I read the Jack Murray book by his son Phil, very entertaining although the structure of the book made the overall picture a little hard to follow as it dealt with the different areas of his life separately - trials, motor racing, travel, water skiing, etc - he had a very full life! Some of the stories are well-known but I would challenge anyone not to learn something new from the book.
RE JACK MURRAY book, I agree it is very disjointed, jumps all over the place. Very disappointing.
Found the early stuff on racing in the fifties very interesting and informative, and learnt a lot.
Disliked the inclusion of script from "This is your life". Thought it just a stocking filler.
Example of disjointedness is page 272. From nowhere is sentence: "In December 1980, aged 73, he had his gangrenous right leg removed just above the knee"
No lead in or subsequent news. Just one sentence.
Why did such a fit and strong man who didn't drink or smoke need his leg removed?
Whilst I hate to knock Australiana, I could not recommend this book.

A much better read is "Journeys with Gelignite Jack" by Evan Green.
Old 24 Oct 2017, 09:17 (Ref:3776051)   #14
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a fair way into the Moffat book, i've just read the bit where Mazda collected all their bits and pieces.

Two interesting bits i'm come across so far that i'd love more info on as they are sort of just skimmed over in the book;

- Who paid for "Project B52"? It would, you'd think, have cost a bomb especially considering he was out on his own. Did Brut 33 fund it? Ford on the quiet? Did all his friends like Pan-Am & his American connections just not charge?

- I had always thought the car that went to the USA was the ex-Gibson XA from 1973 that Moffat used early in the 1974 ATCC, and was later burnt to the ground in 1975. In the book however Moffat states he had the ex-Gibson car in Australia as well as a car in the USA...

What happened to Moffat's local car from 1974? It must have gone somewhere after '74, as when B52 burnt to the ground on the way to Adelaide in 1975, he took on John Goss' Falcon.
Old 27 Oct 2017, 21:39 (Ref:3776869)   #15
gtcapri
Racer

Australia
Maitland NSW
gtcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I'm a fair way into the Moffat book, i've just read the bit where Mazda collected all their bits and pieces.

Two interesting bits i'm come across so far that i'd love more info on as they are sort of just skimmed over in the book;

- Who paid for "Project B52"? It would, you'd think, have cost a bomb especially considering he was out on his own. Did Brut 33 fund it? Ford on the quiet? Did all his friends like Pan-Am & his American connections just not charge?

- I had always thought the car that went to the USA was the ex-Gibson XA from 1973 that Moffat used early in the 1974 ATCC, and was later burnt to the ground in 1975. In the book however Moffat states he had the ex-Gibson car in Australia as well as a car in the USA...

What happened to Moffat's local car from 1974? It must have gone somewhere after '74, as when B52 burnt to the ground on the way to Adelaide in 1975, he took on John Goss' Falcon.
I read that too and thought the same thing. Last mention of it was it became the 74 Sandown car because he wanted to keep 'B52' for Bathurst. Perhaps the car became the 'Project Phoenix' Falcon? Maybe the '77 Bond Falcon?
Old 15 Nov 2017, 02:56 (Ref:3780504)   #16
Terry S
Racer

Model of Moffat Transporter and Mustang

I've often wondered about a model of Moffat's transporter and now I have found one.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=a...=1510714203785

Although only in 1:64 scale it looks pretty good in photos and is only cheap at USD 20.

I have ordered one
Old 9 Oct 2017, 05:00 (Ref:3773132)   #17
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
After meeting Allan at the 1000 and how he was in terms of personality, I won't be rushing out and buying the book.
Old 9 Oct 2017, 09:57 (Ref:3773184)   #18
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
After meeting Allan at the 1000 and how he was in terms of personality, I won't be rushing out and buying the book.
Can you elaborate?

And was this meeting at this years 1000?
Old 10 Oct 2017, 00:07 (Ref:3773300)   #19
Librules
Rookie

Librules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Surely you'd buy the book to read an inside story on his career in motorsport - not because he h.as a different personality in person to others such as Brock
Old 11 Oct 2017, 11:35 (Ref:3773642)   #20
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71 View Post
Can you elaborate?

And was this meeting at this years 1000?
Yep, this year's 1000. Was at a meet and greet. I don't really want to get into specifics but what he did to me plus a young family behind me was beyond disrespectful and rather disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librules View Post
Surely you'd buy the book to read an inside story on his career in motorsport - not because he h.as a different personality in person to others such as Brock
It's not because he's different to Brock, it's just his attitude problem is the reason why I won't have anything to do with him anymore. Seems a fair few friends and colleagues in the motorsport fraternity share my same sentiments to Moffat.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 02:13 (Ref:3773791)   #21
Steve Willing
Rookie

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Steve Willing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=Razor;3773642]Yep, this year's 1000. Was at a meet and greet. I don't really want to get into specifics but what he did to me plus a young family behind me was beyond disrespectful and rather disgusting.

I had a similar run in with him earlier in the year at Phillip Island. I was a big fan and had several models of his cars, inlcuding the Rx7, Capri, Coke Mustang and 935. I had heard rumours that he asked for money for his signature, which I was ok with, however when I approached him to say hi, that I was a fan and had some models to sign he simply looked at me, rubbed his fingers, and said bring the money. No hi, nice to meet you, btw I charge for my signature-just nothing but a request for money. So with that lack of respect for a fan I sold my models, and vowed not to buy anything else Moffat related. They say you should never meet your heroes, how true!!
Old 9 Oct 2017, 10:30 (Ref:3773193)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Catching up with Mr Bond at Bathurst, I wondered if a book wasn't in him too..
Old 10 Oct 2017, 03:56 (Ref:3773339)   #23
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Despite repeated attempts the story of the homologation of the RX-7 still makes no sense.

Moffat once again mentions that he had to lobby CAMS to allow the RX-7 to compete, ignoring the fact that the RX-7 was already been competing in Group C with the likes of Peter McLeod and Barry Jones.

He writes that CAMS considered the car a sportscar but proved to them the interior dimensions where large enough to be homologated under the rules.

But in fact Moffat wanted to run the peripheral port engine instead of the bridge port. Interior dimensions had nothing to do with it.

Anyone else have more information on this?
Old 10 Oct 2017, 07:27 (Ref:3773353)   #24
Umai Naa
Veteran

Watch enough interviews with him, and the story changes all the time.
Old 10 Oct 2017, 07:38 (Ref:3773356)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Watch enough interviews with him, and the story changes all the time.
Perhaps Mr Webb would be able to explain the process some more? Or Allan Horsley?