Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 May 2012, 04:21 (Ref:3076644)   #1
SJA
Racer

Australia
SJA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden fans: Who do you cheer for?

I find it pretty hard to maintain an interest in the Supercars lately.

Yes, I am a Holden fan, but I like to think I and many of us have matured further than that in modern years. It's about personalities, no matter what the make.

But when you have a personality in your make of choice and they're winning, it makes the win all the more sweeter.

My personal favorite modern-day personalities are:
Will Davison
Michael Caruso
Todd Kelly
Rick Kelly
Lee Holdsworth
Shane van Gisbergen
Tim Slade
Craig Lowndes

Whilst I'm stoked for Will and genuinely like the guy - he is in a Ford these days. If he wins the Championship I'll be a happy man, but not as happy as I would be if he was in a Holden.

But who else do I really have to cheer for in comparison? Robbo, the Kelly's, and Craig aren't really up the front enough to challenge for regular wins and the title.

In the old days it was Ingall, Murph, Perkins, Brock, Lowndes, Skaife - it was pretty easy to cheer for someone you like to go up against the Fords.

But these days I just cant bring myself to jump out of my chair and cheer for the Holdens who are challenging up the front like Tander or Whincup. I just don't like them.

So my question - particularly to the Holden camp: Do you just cheer for Holden, any Holden, because you are a Holden man, or do you face a similar dilemma to me? Where the personalities behind the steering wheels leave a bit of a sour taste in your mouth, leaving you no up-the-front Holden you actually want to cheer for?
Old 20 May 2012, 05:45 (Ref:3076662)   #2
snappa
Racer

snappa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SJA It's not just a holden thing the same could be said about the ford drivers. there is some great drivers on both sides of the red blue fence but where are the true personalities. Unfortunately with the increasing Corporatising of V8's the personality is really being killed off as the older drivers retire.
With the latest crop of drivers there is more personality in a wet lettuce leaf than most of them.
Old 20 May 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3076755)   #3
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only driver it seems with any personality left is Dave Reynolds, but I'm sure the PR people are trying to squeeze it out of him also.
Old 20 May 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3076768)   #4
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Nothing to dislike about Whincup's attitude this weekend........got pushed into the weeds by Tander and taken out by other drivers battles.......and handled it with great aplomb.
Old 21 May 2012, 09:30 (Ref:3077165)   #5
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once upon a time It was Ingall and Murphy , but now because they seem to be just making up the numbers the gloss has worn off , At the start of the season we hear that Ingall is going to do this and that and that he is still a championship contender , but within a few rounds he's still battling on down the back where he's been for years - don't hear much about Murph at all anymore , probably that he's been down the back for years that only real diehard Murph fans care about him - HRT are very hit and miss , Courtney has just been a joke and no one likes Tander anyway - BJR are easy to like and GRM are the same , so my vote goes to them as the Kelly's are off to greener pastures with Nissan .
Old 22 May 2012, 01:16 (Ref:3077576)   #6
snappa
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
and no one likes Tander anyway .
Gotta say it , Was there many that actually liked Tander in the first place?
I'm A staunch West aussie and I would normally support a fellow west aussie but man I dont know what it is about him that has always made me wish he would just crash. Even right back to his GRM days I still preferred Bargs as a person to him.
Old 22 May 2012, 03:59 (Ref:3077596)   #7
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
The only driver it seems with any personality left is Dave Reynolds, but I'm sure the PR people are trying to squeeze it out of him also.
i'm with you Bortall, his comments and sense of humour are a breath of fresh air, while still telling it like it is and being very hard on himself where necessary.
Old 22 May 2012, 05:25 (Ref:3077604)   #8
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappa View Post
Gotta say it , Was there many that actually liked Tander in the first place?
I'm A staunch West aussie and I would normally support a fellow west aussie but man I dont know what it is about him that has always made me wish he would just crash. Even right back to his GRM days I still preferred Bargs as a person to him.
Ford or Holden aside, Tander is and has been my most hated driver ... he is a dirty driver, a sook, a whinger, a cheat (yes, we remember PI 2006), non fan friendly ... maybe, a la Skaife, he will be a good commentator when he retires (although he has just a skeric of the ability on the track that Skaife did).

Other hateable Holden driver are (of course) the Kelly brothers, the original spoilt brat rich kids with limitless resources and limited talent. Many of them are good blokes like CL, JW, Brighty, Rusty and Murph.

As a Ford fan (although these cars have not been Fords or Holdens for many years) you probably want to see them succeed for posteritys sake but I can honestly say I am happy as long as Tander or a Kelly does not win the race (throw in Courtney too) and its good racing. Sadly, the manufactured racing of today has a lot less appeal.

IMO, V8SC is becoming more about teams/drivers than Ford/Holden and, for it to survive, this has to be the case
Old 23 May 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3078134)   #9
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeks6 View Post
Ford or Holden aside, Tander is and has been my most hated driver ... he is a dirty driver, a sook, a whinger, a cheat (yes, we remember PI 2006), non fan friendly ... maybe, a la Skaife, he will be a good commentator when he retires (although he has just a skeric of the ability on the track that Skaife did). Other hateable Holden driver are (of course) the Kelly brothers, the original spoilt brat rich kids with limitless resources and limited talent. Many of them are good blokes like CL, JW, Brighty, Rusty and Murph. As a Ford fan (although these cars have not been Fords or Holdens for many years) you probably want to see them succeed for posteritys sake but I can honestly say I am happy as long as Tander or a Kelly does not win the race (throw in Courtney too) and its good racing. Sadly, the manufactured racing of today has a lot less appeal.IMO, V8SC is becoming more about teams/drivers than Ford/Holden and, for it to survive, this has to be the case
Thinking someone either misread the thread title or just chose to ignore it in order to make a few rednecked comments ?
Have some patience , i'm sure a manufacturer / driver hating thread will turn up soon for you to be able to feel right at home : )
Old 23 May 2012, 05:37 (Ref:3078137)   #10
snappa
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
Thinking someone either misread the thread title or just chose to ignore it in order to make a few rednecked comments ?
Have some patience , i'm sure a manufacturer / driver hating thread will turn up soon for you to be able to feel right at home : )
Reload I think you are taking this wrong. the question was asked where the personality has gone from within the holden drivers ranks and I merely pointed out that it appears that all of the drivers these days seem to have gone through a personality vacuum and when the racing isn't up to a great standard traditionally it has relied on the personality of the drivers to create the interest.
Old 23 May 2012, 06:04 (Ref:3078147)   #11
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappa View Post
Reload I think you are taking this wrong. the question was asked where the personality has gone from within the holden drivers ranks and I merely pointed out that it appears that all of the drivers these days seem to have gone through a personality vacuum and when the racing isn't up to a great standard traditionally it has relied on the personality of the drivers to create the interest.
I understand that snappa , however i don't remember the thread starter asking '' who is your most hated driver '' or '' who is a cheat '' ? It's pretty easy to see that someone on here got a little excited after deciding that the thread title could be altered for their own benefit. If you read his avatar , it will give you an idea of his thought process .FWIW , i'm an admirer of Tanders on track ability and not his off track misgivings.

Last edited by Reload; 23 May 2012 at 06:13.
Old 23 May 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3078172)   #12
Reload
Veteran

Australia
My likeable modern V8 Supercar drivers with a personality have been / are CL , SVG , and FC to name a few. Ingall was always a favourite with his no nonsense comments and results , however the same comments with no results to back them up in recent years are starting to embarass him. IMO drivers such as Steve Owen , JB , JW and GT don't appear to possess that likeable personality. I am an admirer of DR ,s driving , however i don't quite see why a few people are thinking that he is a breath of fresh air personality wise ?
Old 24 May 2012, 03:26 (Ref:3078608)   #13
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this also may extend to which teams you support. I've been a Holden man all my life and I'm a Kelly racing supporter, for no other reason than the team used to be LP's and I supported him since forever (To be honest I'm not that endeered with the Kelly's)

But with the Kelly's now moving to Nissan who do i support. I wont support 888 because that would just be jumping on the bandwagon like everyone else and although I like CL alot I'm not a fan of Whincup at all (Don't really know why though) I can't support HRT, I just can't, probably because most of their fans come across like Collingwood supporters.

So I can either support GRM or BJR or stay with the Kelly's and go to Nissan. And even though I like both the GRM and BJR boys I'm leaning toward staying with the Kelly's.

I'm not sure if this says more about me or does it just mean that the Holden v Ford rivalray is just not as strong as it used to be ????