Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jan 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1199758)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sauber reveals the C24

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

Today Sauber has released pictures of it's new C24 car. The car will run for the first time at the valencia test starting on Friday (14th January)

Pictures. (large images)

http://www.sauber.ch/images/home/upload/SP_ET8443.jpg

http://www.sauber.ch/images/home/upload/SP_ET8465.jpg

Sauber Press Release.

SAUBER PETRONAS C24 with refined aerodynamics

Hinwil, 13 January 2005SAUBER PETRONAS today released the first pictures of the C24. Tomorrow the new Sauber racing car will have its baptism of fire during the roll-out in Valencia. On Friday and Saturday Felipe Massa will be testing, and on Sunday Jacques Villeneuve will relieve his team-mate at the wheel.

For the aerodynamicists in particular the C24 represents a great challenge as new technical regulations result in a marked reduction of downforce. "Of course, this has made us focus special attention on aerodynamics," says Technical Director Willy Rampf. "Our experience with the C23 had clearly shown the significant influence of the sidepods and the rear bodywork on aerodynamics. That’s why the continuation of our development was consistently directed towards these areas, in which we have designed the car to be even more compact and harmonious." Conspicuous about the C24’s design is its sidepods, which have an extreme undercut to achieve optimum air flow. The same objective was pursed with regard to positioning the exhaust tailpipes, which have been integrated harmoniously into the bodywork.

"In the course of last year the C23 revealed major development potential, so it was a logical step to base the C24’s concept on that of its predecessor. Changes were made wherever we were able to identify opportunities for improvement," Rampf added.

The C24 will be powered by the PETRONAS 05A engine. This power unit corresponds to the V10 to be used by Ferrari as well. The new regulations now require the engine to last two weekends. With regard to the gearbox, Sauber has returned to a design of its own, which has been made lighter, stiffer and more compact yet again.

An important change for SAUBER PETRONAS has come about in the tyre sector as the team was able to win Michelin as a partner. "We expect a measurable improvement from this change and have certainly seen the first indications of this during initial test drives last year," Team Principal Peter Sauber says, explaining his decision.

Looking towards the upcoming season full of optimism are the two drivers. "During the tests at the end of last year, I got a very good impression of both the C23 and the team. I’m extremely motivated and determined to support SAUBER PETRONAS in moving ahead further," says Jacques Villeneuve, who recently joined the team. The former World Champion signed a two-year contract with SAUBER PETRONAS. His team-mate, Felipe Massa, can hardly await the season opener: "No other team improved as much during the course of last year as SAUBER PETRONAS did. If we manage to take this momentum with us into the new season, a few people will be in for a surprise."

After a successful year of 2004 showing a clear upwards trend in the second half, Team Principal Peter Sauber is full of confidence as well: "Our goal is to further reduce the gap between ourselves and the front runners. Yet to what extent this will impact on the results cannot be predicted at the moment. We won’t have any indications as to how well the individual teams have managed to adjust to the new regulations until after the season opener at Melbourne."

http://www.sauber.ch/en/presse/index...rchive=0&id=29

Last edited by Super Tourer; 13 Jan 2005 at 11:50.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1199765)   #2
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you for the link. Mmmh...No sponsor to replace Red Bull....Ouch!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 11:54 (Ref:1199769)   #3
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmm, looks tasty!
And it doesn't look exactly like the F2004, which is good!

Lots of blue space though...
Old 13 Jan 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1199773)   #4
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, i must admit, i think Sauber do need to attract another major sponsor. It has that same look as the 2001 Prost, and i dont want to think about Sauber going the same way

Having said that, it looks like a Beautiful racing car. The curves, and the blue... it looks really sexy.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1199775)   #5
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Looks impresive. Engine packaging is just outrageous these days, isn't it? See how far forward the exhausts are, and how little "hump" there is where the motor is. It's like there is not engine at all in there.

A bit worrying about the lack of sponsor though - they simply cannot compete without the money to drive development through the year. And Toyota will be gunning for them forst and foremost. Still - good luck to them... nice looking car.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 12:24 (Ref:1199786)   #6
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Lots of blue space though...
We'll know they are in trouble if they write SAUBER across the airbox in big white letters, a la Prost 2001 sidepods

Lovely looking car though!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 12:51 (Ref:1199792)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Great looking car,not so bland as the C23,the wind tunnel certainly seems to have paid off as far as looks are concerned,lets hope it's not just skin deep,they are using the new motor even before Ferrari can which should see them right up there with the top teams.

Last edited by Marbot; 13 Jan 2005 at 12:56.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1199808)   #8
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Michelins look good.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1199810)   #9
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
looks good . i hope is just as fast

Ciao Marco
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1199813)   #10
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hope so too.
Judging by other teams who have switched Michelin, should be some improvement.
We'll see.
It's a good looking car.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:38 (Ref:1199814)   #11
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
his a hot tip I think it will be hard to find a better looking car for 05
it just looks great and the paint job matces it perfectly.

I'll be surprized if there is a better looking car in 05
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1199821)   #12
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just read a few days ago that a new and major sponsor would be announced on Friday. I hope that still stands.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1199825)   #13
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On the Red Bull point - according to the figures that I have Red Bull's 2004 input into Sauber was around $20M, whcih was just ahead of Credit Suisse's $17M. Petronas contribute $38M - $18M in direct cash to the team and $20M picking up the engine tab from Ferrari.

Sauber also have a huge number of small sponsor and trade support suppliers that don't make it onto the car, but add up to a sizeable sum. The team also got around $30M in FOM benefits in 2004.

Losing any sponsor has an impact but in context, Red Bull was $20M out of a $130M budget, and Peter Sauber knew it was only a matter of time before they left and was expecting it.

I thought we may see more Credit Suisse/Petronas branding in the vacant space to indicate they may have plugged the gap, perhaps Sauber have plans for the space which we may see later.

Agreed that the car looks good!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1199831)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A very neat and tidy car.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1199852)   #15
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sauber in good looking car shocker!

Certainly looks the part and is easily more attractive than the new Toyota.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 14:21 (Ref:1199871)   #16
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice looker, i especially like the sidepods.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 14:54 (Ref:1199895)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Does look good. Though for me the paint scheme needs a re-think, the turqoise just looks horrid next to the blue.
However despite that, its the best looking Sauber ive ever seen...
Old 13 Jan 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1199910)   #18
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoose sidepods are a packaging marvel by the looks of it, they are tiny!
I would be a little concerned that they might not be able to get enough cooling air in, looking at the 'pods inlets, there is almost nothing there. Deffiently looks liek the wind tunnel is paying off, it looks very specifically desinged to cope with the raised front wing....

I wonder if that is the '05 spec wing though...
the endplates are nowhere near as big as the one on the Toyota TF105.
There'll probably be an update before melbourne is my guess.

Car does look good anyway.
Ed
Old 13 Jan 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1199915)   #19
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I think most of the 2005 cars will look quite different from launch to 1st prac at Melbourne, lots of aero work and testing km's to go yet.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1199923)   #20
Giando
Racer

Giando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi all, and happy new year.

Sauber C24: very nice car!

The efficiency of the side pods seems (i said: seems!) very very high, and it's obviously the result of the new wind tunnel. It's an extreme development of the concept introduced by Ferrari with the F2003GA.

I do not see the exhaust pipes: are they cleverly hidden into the bodywork? I'm very curious to see them. Maybe they've found the way to project them in a very innovative way, i think integrated with the internal hot-air airflow from the radiators.
These, also, should have a very complex shape and installation, shouldn't they?

Then, the front wing is clearly not the 2005 one. I think we'll see more evolutions in this part of the cars after the static presentations. Secrets to keep! :-)

And, comparing the new C24 to the Toyota F105... it seems Toyota is still behind, watching the aerodyinamics... I expected Gascoyne to do some more... although i hope the japanese team could prove me wrong on the tracks...

Ciao,

G
Old 13 Jan 2005, 15:39 (Ref:1199927)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giando

And, comparing the new C24 to the Toyota F105... it seems Toyota is still behind, watching the aerodyinamics...

Not sure how it's possible to tell that from a few photos!
Old 13 Jan 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1199935)   #22
Giando
Racer

Giando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi KB.
Well, you're right. It's my personal judgement... which is a simple opinion. ;-)

But you could easily see that the TF105 sidepods are quite traditional, and their front section quite larger than the Sauber's one. The "vase" shape of the C24 ones allows the air to flow easily towards the back of the car...

It's a radical concept used, in order, by Ferrari, Renault, Sauber, McLaren, Williams.

The MP4/19B and Fw26b performance improvements from the previous models are a demonstration of how important is this kind of shape in the actual Formula one cars.

I presume this is a fact.

And the fact that Toyota didn't use it for the new car is quite strange.

But, as said, i hope they could win races.

Ciao!

Last edited by Giando; 13 Jan 2005 at 15:47.
Old 13 Jan 2005, 16:07 (Ref:1199949)   #23
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Back to the sponsorship part.
.... " The C24 will be the first car developed fully in SAUBER's new wind tunnel. It is expected to be an aggressive and original design intended to move the team further up the grid in 2005. Felipe Massa will handle the driving duties for the car's rollout on Friday. He will continue work on Saturday before Jacques Villeneuve gets his chance to try it on Sunday. The team is also expected to unveil a major new sponsor at the rollout, who will take the place of Red Bull....."
http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s200/st62050.htm
Old 13 Jan 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1199996)   #24
Mopar
Racer

Mopar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cant tell from the pictures but does anyone know if they've reverted to the twin keel now theres no ferrari influence?
Old 13 Jan 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1200001)   #25
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We thought the Toyota look an improvement and is tidily packaged... well the Sauber just goes one step further! Great looking car from Sauber.

The whole car seem very neatly and tightly packaged. One thing that caught the eye is the sidepod..with a very small opening. Considering that the new engine regulations, Sauber seems very confident that the engine doesn't require as much cooling, etc, and that the small confines with the tight package won't negatively affect the Ferrari engine.

And does that mean Ferrari had done a great job with the engine, and we could expect some of the same from Ferrari?

On the otherhand, last season Sauber was experiementing with some clever folding packaging in the sidepod which allows a smaller area/space while giving efficient cooling. maybe there's something in there..hopefully somebody could give a more indepth clarification.