Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Dec 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2361329)   #1
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Holden V8 Supercar engine

Question for the more technically minded. I know the Ford 5.0 is the SVO engine which descended from the Windsor 335 but what is the Holden V8 Supercar motor?

It's described in the manual as a Chevrolet Aurora, but as far as I can tell there ain't no such animal. The Aurora engine is a 4.0 Oldsmobile motor and I'm fairly sure is not the same engine. I also remember a Holden spin doctor at the time telling me that it was not actually an Aurora and I shouldn't call it that. Anybody help me out here?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2361430)   #2
profi
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
profi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a holden supercar engine is just a small block chev which has descended from a 350 and the aurora is just the code name holden have named the engine.

hope this helps you out
Old 27 Dec 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2361581)   #3
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcadore
Question for the more technically minded. I know the Ford 5.0 is the SVO engine which descended from the Windsor 335 but what is the Holden V8 Supercar motor?

It's described in the manual as a Chevrolet Aurora, but as far as I can tell there ain't no such animal. The Aurora engine is a 4.0 Oldsmobile motor and I'm fairly sure is not the same engine. I also remember a Holden spin doctor at the time telling me that it was not actually an Aurora and I shouldn't call it that. Anybody help me out here?
Hi Falcodore, I recently researched the so called Holden Motorsport engine, and found the following:

The CNC machined SB Short Deck Bowtie block [Part # GM 24502650] has a nominal deck height of 8.325” and can be further decked to 8.125. It is designed for small cubic inch engines used for drag racing, road racing and restricted oval track racing. The factory bore is 3.984” and can be bored up to 4.190” with a minimal wall thickness of 0.250”. The camshaft tunnel is raised to 4.953” and the main oil gallery relocated from above the camshaft to the side of the cam. The water pump holes are spread and a big block water pump must be used. When using a 6” or larger damper, the pump must be raised using aluminum adapters. With the shorter deck, the pushrods must be shorter to work with the cam and lifters being used. The main bearings are small journal 2.300” not the standard 2.450”. The cam bearing holes are bore for roller cam bearings at 2.250” diameter O.D. x 1.875” I.D. This block features five steel main caps with the three center caps splayed 20 degrees.

This block uses the Oldsmobile Aurora V8 bell housing with a maximum of 12.25” flywheel diameter. Designed for dry sump oiling, the oil filter boss is a machined pad for a remote oil filter.

I am given to understand that Caterpiller cast the limited run "Short Deck"
for both GM and Holden with appropriate cast identification marks.

I trust the above dispels the many myths that surround the engines origins.

Cheers,

Mark Petch.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 01:41 (Ref:2361684)   #4
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch
Hi Falcodore, I recently researched the so called Holden Motorsport engine, and found the following:

The CNC machined SB Short Deck Bowtie block [Part # GM 24502650] has a nominal deck height of 8.325” and can be further decked to 8.125. It is designed for small cubic inch engines used for drag racing, road racing and restricted oval track racing. The factory bore is 3.984” and can be bored up to 4.190” with a minimal wall thickness of 0.250”. The camshaft tunnel is raised to 4.953” and the main oil gallery relocated from above the camshaft to the side of the cam. The water pump holes are spread and a big block water pump must be used. When using a 6” or larger damper, the pump must be raised using aluminum adapters. With the shorter deck, the pushrods must be shorter to work with the cam and lifters being used. The main bearings are small journal 2.300” not the standard 2.450”. The cam bearing holes are bore for roller cam bearings at 2.250” diameter O.D. x 1.875” I.D. This block features five steel main caps with the three center caps splayed 20 degrees.

This block uses the Oldsmobile Aurora V8 bell housing with a maximum of 12.25” flywheel diameter. Designed for dry sump oiling, the oil filter boss is a machined pad for a remote oil filter.

I am given to understand that Caterpiller cast the limited run "Short Deck"
for both GM and Holden with appropriate cast identification marks.

I trust the above dispels the many myths that surround the engines origins.

Cheers,

Mark Petch.
What ever this engine is it is not a production unit, any way GM will not be around much longer...
Old 28 Dec 2008, 07:48 (Ref:2361731)   #5
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by profi
a holden supercar engine is just a small block chev which has descended from a 350 and the aurora is just the code name holden have named the engine.

hope this helps you out
Not quite right.

Holden rebranded the name from (its internal designation) 'Aurora' to HMS. It has heads/cylinders that do away with the previous GM siamesed bore configuration and is similar to the evenly spaced Ford unit in that regard.

The (Olds) Aurora engine is an entirely different configuration. DOHC 4.0 V8, which was raced in Indycar. The two engines should not be confused.