Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 19 Jun 2012, 02:58 (Ref:3094529)   #1
Randino
Rookie

United States
Fairmont, WV, USA
Randino should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
race track maps in print?

I've been looking to find books or magazines with good detailed race track maps. I've got Joe Saward and Jim Bamber's World Atlas of Motor Racing which has some okay maps but great artwork of many tracks, and I have Peter Higham's International Motor Racing Guide which has some basic line drawings of track layouts. What I'd like to find is detailed track maps preferably in color. A book or magazine with something like this in it is something I've been looking for, for a long time. The best I've seen so far were in the 1998 Champ Car preview put out by Racer magazine for the CART series, but it would be neat to have detailed maps of F1 circuits, national and international sports car tracks, ovals etc. If anyone can point me to something like this, that would be great.
Old 19 Jun 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3094635)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Could you post some examples, please?

Selby
Old 19 Jun 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3094919)   #3
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose some of us in the My Tracks forum could have a crack at making some ourselves for you, depending on what you want? Only problem is design consistency - we'd end up using different colours etc
Old 20 Jun 2012, 00:47 (Ref:3095227)   #4
Randino
Rookie

United States
Fairmont, WV, USA
I'll try to find something similar to what I'm talking about and post it later to give an example of what it is I'm talking about.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 01:23 (Ref:3095231)   #5
Randino
Rookie

United States
Fairmont, WV, USA
Here is an illustration to more clearly define what I'm looking for. This map is directly from the CART series magazine I mentioned before.
http://www.trackhq.com/forums/attach...fo-midohio.gif
Here's anther good one of the same track:
http://www.imsaracing.net/2008/event...yout%20Map.jpg
Color isn't that important, just makes it easier to see, but I like the track maps that show the layout of the access roads, the garages, the grandstands etc. I want to find a book with this stuff in it (if there is one) because it combines two of my interests, auto racing and maps.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 23:47 (Ref:3095698)   #6
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only person who could have come close to producing that type of Detail in the My Tracks Design section was a user called bio. Before moving onto Google Sketch Up he used a brilliant Map making software

Sadly he doesn't post here any more but his fictitious work is there for all to see...

bio's circuits
Old 25 Jun 2012, 07:52 (Ref:3097609)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Ahhh bio - Great guy. Shame he's not around anymore!

Lovely designs, too. I remember playing one of his tracks on rFactor - so awesome.

Selby