Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 22 Aug 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3122937)   #1
Revvedup917
Rookie

Revvedup917 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic PowerBoat Cowes - Who's going ?

http://www.cowes.co.uk/The-Cowes-Cla...boat-Race.aspx

Any one been there before, or going this year ?

I have never been , but as somebody who wants to design engines for a living, it makes sense to see the marine application too.

P.S- Apologies Mods, but I can't post this is in the Parc Ferme section with my limited number of posts. And , then this is still historic motorsport !
Old 22 Aug 2012, 12:08 (Ref:3122967)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=Revvedup917;3122937 P.S- Apologies Mods, but I can't post this is in the Parc Ferme section with my limited number of posts. And , then this is still historic motorsport ![/QUOTE]

They are obviously all looking the other way! I was hoping from the event title that this was a race for 'classic' power boats, but looks like the word refers to the race rather than the craft....

As a lifelong fan of the designer Renato 'Sonny' Levi was hoping the event would be about boats such as 'A Speranziella' or 'Surfury'..... or indeed some of the beautiful Fairy Marine craft that graced the powerboat world when I was a lot younger!

Oh well, just as well can't make it!
Old 22 Aug 2012, 12:25 (Ref:3122988)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
They are obviously all looking the other way! I was hoping from the event title that this was a race for 'classic' power boats, but looks like the word refers to the race rather than the craft....

As a lifelong fan of the designer Renato 'Sonny' Levi was hoping the event would be about boats such as 'A Speranziella' or 'Surfury'..... or indeed some of the beautiful Fairy Marine craft that graced the powerboat world when I was a lot younger!

Oh well, just as well can't make it!
Give me time to get in from work Like you I was hoping it'd be classic boats.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 13:36 (Ref:3123026)   #4
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
These "titles" should be investigated under the Trades Description Act - when the big snooker tournament was first held in Dubai, it was named the Dubai Classic. How? It had never been held before.

I too remember the first power-boat races off Cowes - Tommy Sopwith et al. Beautiful craft, many of them available "off-the-shelf". Massed starts a sight to behold.
Old 22 Aug 2012, 15:07 (Ref:3123062)   #5
Revvedup917
Rookie

Revvedup917 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apologies folks, I thought they had contemporary stuff to go alongwith the classic stuff. Unlike you folks, I'm relatively new to powerboat racing. In fact, the only classic powerboat I know of is the Ferrari-engined Arno XI, about which I read in Octane.

http://www.rmauctions.com/pdf/Arno%20XI.pdf

Why are you all generally not enthused by modern P1 powerboat racing ?