Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 23 Jul 2006, 22:55 (Ref:1663007)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am grateful for Motors TV, but

..How many people who watch the channel wish to see Steam Train Classics? Okay, they have engines, but err, I'm not sure how it's relevant to the station. Fortunately the other night the Le Mans classics were on instead.

There is also that guy who does the voiceover for their adverts and some of their highlights/clips programmes with his highly irritatingly consistent manner of talking, whereby his intonation rises and falls consistently on EVERY sentence. Imagine him having a conversation with you in real life and speaking like that. It would sound ridiculous. In fact it sounds ridiculous as it is on TV.

Also, what's with the conspiracy to grab the audience's attention during the commercials by having them about a 1/3 of the volume louder. Whilst watching Motors TV in a quiet house last night I had to have my finger by the remote control ready to crank it down before the ads came on.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 05:56 (Ref:1663120)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can't get Motors TV.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 07:36 (Ref:1663142)   #3
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motors TV isn't the only channel to show 'off topic' stuff- have a look at the listings for Discovery Wings!
The ad volume is a problem with lots of channels, no idea why.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1663149)   #4
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually they take their title literally-anything with a motor.I have a doc on the history of french women pilots taped,and power boats are also well covered.All stuff I am interested in. Chinese steam trains -wonderful! I would rather not see stuff about road cars.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 08:15 (Ref:1663170)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Steam Classic. They can afford to show this at the times they do. If they didn't it would only be another repeat of a race I've already seen.

TV advert. Conspiracy? Nah, standard annoying practice of all channels.

Admin note, one for armchair...
Old 24 Jul 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1663175)   #6
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I, for one, am grateful for Motors' coverage of locomotives, as other wise I'd never leave the house.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1663186)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Already noted Adam.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1663189)   #8
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never watch Steam trains or anything like that, it just doesn't interest me, so i go off and do something productive, like post on 10/10
Old 24 Jul 2006, 14:51 (Ref:1663416)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I love old steam locos, so am quite happy that they get a bit of exposure on Motors TV.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 16:03 (Ref:1663457)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
..How many people who watch the channel wish to see Steam Train Classics?
I do for one, I quite like trains, especially steam trains. They also showed this one (I think) on Discovery Wings or something similar last week.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 18:42 (Ref:1663562)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Trains are tedious, there is simply no overtaking.

Not everything on Motors TV can appeal to everyone! There are different people with different tastes!

What it does mean is it gives me time to get away from the television. I dread to think how the schedule will look in five years on Mototrs, as it just keeps growing! The Le Mans coverage was the most awesome thing ever!

As for the adverts, yes they are a bit loud. I tend to crank the volume up for motorsport (depending on commentary team) so it really does annoy me when the ads come on and eardrums burst. Still, it is not life threatening.
Old 24 Jul 2006, 19:03 (Ref:1663577)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Bit like F1 then; even more so when a goods is shunted into a siding (the pits!) to let the express through (the overtaking)!
Old 24 Jul 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1663578)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jesus, it's uncanny!
Old 24 Jul 2006, 23:32 (Ref:1663754)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Also, what's with the conspiracy to grab the audience's attention during the commercials by having them about a 1/3 of the volume louder. Whilst watching Motors TV in a quiet house last night I had to have my finger by the remote control ready to crank it down before the ads came on.
Er, as you yourself said, it is to grab the attention of the audience/others who may be about but not watching the tv programme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
The ad volume is a problem with lots of channels, no idea why.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
TV advert. Conspiracy? Nah, standard annoying practice of all channels.
Just because it is standard does not mean it is not a conspiracy. Although it is the common meaning, a conspiracy does not necessarily have to involve illegality.

The multiple companies/owners/directors/managers/advisors/consultants, whatever and whoever is involved, plan, then enact, ways to get your attention, and, hopefully, alter your perceptions and actions.

It is a conspiracy to get your mind and your money.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 07:36 (Ref:1663922)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They turn the volume up so that you pay more attention to the advert. Why is that a conspiracy? It is just a marketing ploy. You mention the legal side which is generally what it is used for. It isn't illegal, should be, but isn't. Is it a secret agreement between more than one person? Not really. It is standard practice. It isn't secret because it is loud.

It is a little like saying advertisements are a conspiracy to get you to buy things! Or getting in you car is a conspiracy to drive somewhere.

It is blummin' annoying, but not really conspiracy, just method. A little unscrupulous maybe.

What they should do is say that the maximum volume of the advertisements has to be within 10% of the maximum volume of the program.

Anyway I'm off to turn the kettle on and conspire to make a cup of tea. Technically right, but I am simply just making a cup of tea.

Last edited by Adam43; 25 Jul 2006 at 07:43.
Old 25 Jul 2006, 11:48 (Ref:1664109)   #16
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Reminds me of the time a few years ago when a highly intelligent person who perhaps hadn't thought through his plan fully hijacked one of our trams...
Old 26 Jul 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1665156)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
They turn the volume up so that you pay more attention to the advert. Why is that a conspiracy? It is just a marketing ploy. You mention the legal side which is generally what it is used for. It isn't illegal, should be, but isn't. Is it a secret agreement between more than one person? Not really. It is standard practice. It isn't secret because it is loud.

It is a little like saying advertisements are a conspiracy to get you to buy things! Or getting in you car is a conspiracy to drive somewhere.

It is blummin' annoying, but not really conspiracy, just method. A little unscrupulous maybe.

What they should do is say that the maximum volume of the advertisements has to be within 10% of the maximum volume of the program.

Anyway I'm off to turn the kettle on and conspire to make a cup of tea. Technically right, but I am simply just making a cup of tea.

Sorry! All a load of ********!

Motors TV features very poorly produced programming in the main.
Commercials are not made or produced by them - half the programmes aren't either.
The problem of volume differential is purely and simply down to the incompetency of the production team.
Most audio from different sources comes in at various levels and needs to be "Pre-faded" prior to Transmission and the levels set at the correct "Volume".
This just isn't being done - resulting in loud bits and quieter bits.
Motors TV generally is very loud in comparison to most other channels.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 18:52 (Ref:1665193)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Mark,

No need for the over reaction. Adam is quite right in that ads are normally louder than the programme we are watching. I notice it so its not what you suggest. I suggest (respectfully) that you apologise for the outburst.

I'll look back in later.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1665249)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Have you been drinking Mark?

Motors does have some production issues, but nothing to rope yourself over.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1665291)   #20
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not an attack on AA's comments really - but the theory that ads are played louder than programmes for marketing purposes carries no substance. (OFCOM would see to that - breaks all advertising regs).
As someone who spent 15yrs in Transmission Production, I do know a little about the way programmes are put together and why they sometimes aren't first-class productions.

I didn't see it as an outburst, and AA hasn't flamed me (yet!) but if that's the way Messrs Mallet & Knowles see it then, apologies are offered to AA.

*awaits the negative reputation from the Mod!!) *
Old 26 Jul 2006, 20:30 (Ref:1665296)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I wasn't sure what it was really Mark!

But I did think you had been drinking.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 20:45 (Ref:1665313)   #22
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, i don't want to watch the tv at a normal tv watching volume, then have my eardrums expolded when and advert for sueing people for accidents at work or on the road come on.

Old 26 Jul 2006, 20:51 (Ref:1665321)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

There is plenty of warning, as that annoying rotating crash helmet comes on. Turn the volume down before that finishes and hey presto! No more annoyingly loud compensation claims!
Old 26 Jul 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1665333)   #24
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Isn't Motors TV TX'd from France?
Perhaps the ads are played in from the UK which could possibly explain why they are at a different level?
Old 26 Jul 2006, 21:15 (Ref:1665354)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

One minute you lay into them, now you are searching for excuses for them!