Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Apr 2014, 16:45 (Ref:3392010)   #51
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's Coronel out for Paul Ricard... Nice work Bennani!
Old 13 Apr 2014, 16:54 (Ref:3392013)   #52
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
team orders after the first corner! girlfriends not allowed in the pit box

What do you mean about no girlfriends in the pits?? Gee that's quite odd
Old 13 Apr 2014, 17:08 (Ref:3392018)   #53
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
That's Coronel out for Paul Ricard... Nice work Bennani!
Yeah i mean its not like Coronel could have left some space or something he knew Bennani was there...

As for Citroen, good job on becoming champions.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 17:23 (Ref:3392021)   #54
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently Citroen ahve said no drivers birds in the pit, was said on telly.

Having seen many posts on other forums, believe me fella, if you think this is god you are wildly off the mark.

As people say, well done Citroen, the cheque is in the post, utter tosh
Old 13 Apr 2014, 17:37 (Ref:3392024)   #55
MikeD
Rookie

Denmark
Copenhagen
MikeD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah baby ... Citroën and Loeb does it. Amazing job by Lopez in both races. Hope Muller will score at least 1 win at Paul Richard.

Great job by Valente and Campos. I think Valente is the real deal!

Honda looks pathetic, and let's hope they will be equally crappy when they team up with McCheat in F1 next year.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 17:39 (Ref:3392026)   #56
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Rubio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1) Race 2 showed that it's still good old WTCC with overtakings, crashes and action though Race 1 was really dull. Great drive by Bennani!
2) I HATE Citroen. 1st race ant they already play team orders. Bulls**t. Hope at Paul Ricard other teams will give a hard time. It seems that Citroen has got best straight line speed, which won't be the crucial factor on the twisty circuit in France.
3) Everything is way too fresh. Especially the cars. Potential is there but we need time. I guess only at the Hungaroring we will see the true story
4) Please, never start again in Marrakech. NEVER. It's a good, unique track and I want it to be in the calendar but it's the worst possible place for a start round
5) Great driving from Valente
6) Crash was both Coronel and Bennani fault, IMO
7) Thank goodness they took off the huge driver names. I like the size on Chilton's, Borkovic's, Valente's cars

Last edited by Rubio; 13 Apr 2014 at 17:45.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3392030)   #57
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With the emotions of seeing Coronel in the wall gone I agree I have to revise my opinion. Bennani pushed too hard, Coronel should have given more space, both could have avoided the accident by backing off just a bit.

Citroën is dominating like Chevrolet did in their last official year, at least RML let their drivers fight eachother.
Honda has issues, they're seriously lacking speed.
The Cruzes show potential but also a lack of preparation time.
Campos surprised me; I expected mediocre results from a couple of pay-drivers, but both Valente a Borkovic performed well. Hat tip to them.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 18:00 (Ref:3392033)   #58
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Coronel/Bennani was a 50/50 incident. Bennani could have backed off, Coronel could have come back to the right; both would have got through T1 unscathed. Neither did give up.

I'm afraid I think the Bennani penalty was unfair, as his choice was car(s) or wall. Coronel's choice was car or track, and he chose incorrectly.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3392038)   #59
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Coronel/Bennani was a 50/50 incident. Bennani could have backed off, Coronel could have come back to the right; both would have got through T1 unscathed. Neither did give up.

I'm afraid I think the Bennani penalty was unfair, as his choice was car(s) or wall. Coronel's choice was car or track, and he chose incorrectly.
Worryingly, the blame culture in motorsport gets ever more worse. Isn't there such a thing as a racing incident anymore?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 19:00 (Ref:3392048)   #60
vodka
Rookie

Lithuania
Vilnius
vodka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fuk team orders, fuk one team domination, fuk small grid Still... go Norby!
Old 13 Apr 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3392051)   #61
crooky
Racer

crooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcrooky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was willing to give the WTCC another chance this weekend with all the interest of the new regulations, Loeb etc. But not sure I'll bother anymore...
Old 13 Apr 2014, 19:34 (Ref:3392052)   #62
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you ignore the Citroen's, the race wasn't that bad for me. The Bennani-Coronel situation was a racing incident at best, Coronel's fault at worst. Can't squeeze a driver into the wall, and it sounded like Bennani feathered the throttle.

Hopefully, Honda and Chevy can speed it up a bit to contend with Citroen a little more but I won't hold my breath. But why oh why did WTCC diverge so far from what they were doing?
Old 13 Apr 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3392054)   #63
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
If you ignore the Citroen's, the race wasn't that bad for me. The Bennani-Coronel situation was a racing incident at best, Coronel's fault at worst. Can't squeeze a driver into the wall, and it sounded like Bennani feathered the throttle.

Hopefully, Honda and Chevy can speed it up a bit to contend with Citroen a little more but I won't hold my breath. But why oh why did WTCC diverge so far from what they were doing?
this is how the WTCC should have been, real touring cars, real racing , big grids lots of action, no one sided domince by one car/team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEHGE6Ocy3E

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED ??? WHY IS SUCH A MESS TODAY ?? it's an unwatchable farcial s***

Last edited by porsche962fan; 13 Apr 2014 at 19:47.
Old 13 Apr 2014, 19:49 (Ref:3392058)   #64
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
I think we should give the championship a little more time. It was only the first race (and where, at Marrakech!!), and we are in the situation when one team tested for 1 year, 1 team for 1 month, 3 indies for 1 week and 1 team for 1 day. Of course, the result is obvious. I expected this. I just didn't expect Citroen to play into team tactics. Hope there is no target to make Loeb a champion this year...

Don't forget, 2007 started with same BMW domination, and do I have to remind the SEAT train in Curitiba in 2009? The competition will be better. The question is only when. We shouldn't compare it with Chevy domination, Chevrolet was the only factory team at that time and now we have Honda and good drivers at Lada
Old 13 Apr 2014, 19:54 (Ref:3392059)   #65
porsche962fan
Veteran

fact is in 2006 it was a very good championship all around and now it's just a total mess with ugly cars that look like those idiotic ricers with their ridiculos bodykit which seems a HAZARD cos it can easly come off

and you noticed most privateers are gone cos the costs went up the roof , championship started to downgrade once the Leon TDI came on the scene and this TC1 are just a big meh
Old 13 Apr 2014, 19:58 (Ref:3392061)   #66
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
In fact, Citroen and Lada are ugly (and Citroen has the worst livery in the WTCC history probably), but the Honda and Chevrolet are sweet. Just take off that big rear wing and they'll look even better
Old 13 Apr 2014, 20:02 (Ref:3392062)   #67
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio View Post
but the Honda and Chevrolet are sweet. Just take off that big rear wing and they'll look even better
those side skirts and the idiotic front bumper need to go to, in essence back to normal S2000

I really don't understand this organizers at all, most championships scream to cut costs (even F1) but now aero grip plays a big part instead of just mechanical

so builders now have to invest large amount of money in wind tunnel testing for this bits

it's a complete and utter "oxymoron" contradiction/paradox

at least with NGTC rules the rear wing is standard so no money invested there and it isn't oversized either
Old 13 Apr 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3392064)   #68
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1) Race 2 showed that it's still good old WTCC with overtakings, crashes and action though Race 1 was really dull. Great drive by Bennani!
2) I HATE Citroen. 1st race ant they already play team orders. Bulls**t. Hope at Paul Ricard other teams will give a hard time. It seems that Citroen has got best straight line speed, which won't be the crucial factor on the twisty circuit in France.
3) Everything is way too fresh. Especially the cars. Potential is there but we need time. I guess only at the Hungaroring we will see the true story
4) Please, never start again in Marrakech. NEVER. It's a good, unique track and I want it to be in the calendar but it's the worst possible place for a start round
5) Great driving from Valente
6) Crash was both Coronel and Bennani fault, IMO
7) Thank goodness they took off the huge driver names. I like the size on Chilton's, Borkovic's, Valente's cars
i agree with all
Old 13 Apr 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3392065)   #69
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*Sigh*

We've swapped one team for another. (And this bunch won't let their drivers even race.)
Old 13 Apr 2014, 20:10 (Ref:3392066)   #70
Rubio
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
When we had previous rules people were moaning that the cars are awful, boring, simple. Now people complain that there is aero, bigger wing and so on. It's a world championship after all, so basically they really needed to make cars more aggressive. Thankfully, the aero didn't seriously hurt racing, as we've seen in race 2 that it's possible to overtake.

One last word of critics from me. I hope someone from WTCC organization reads this topic. Please, change the points table on the graphics - showing minus points looks very very stupid and it seriously hurts the perception. Just do it like it was last year, with difference shown in a separate column. No one whom I've spoken to liked this innovation
Old 13 Apr 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3392072)   #71
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
When we had previous rules people were moaning that the cars are awful, boring, simple. Now people complain that there is aero, bigger wing and so on.
some people will always look for something to moan about
Old 14 Apr 2014, 06:13 (Ref:3392220)   #72
JohannD
Rookie

JohannD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Video clearly shows Bennani wasn't in a place to be squeezed. He was behind, should have backed off. Kissing Tom's behind to show he's there is one thing. Forcefully eliminating the car in front is something entirely different.

Now with the exclusion and the 3 place grid drop Bennani's penalty is right about where it should be.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 06:55 (Ref:3392231)   #73
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really don't know where Bennani was meant to go. Coronel just close the door on him. I think Bennani had the right to hold his ground, and Coronel should have given him space.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 07:33 (Ref:3392239)   #74
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If Bennani backed off he'd have triggered a pileup from the drivers behind him (very close behind).

Bit of a poisoned chalice for him, that one. I still feel Coronel could have moved just a fraction. As I said, 50/50.
Old 14 Apr 2014, 08:11 (Ref:3392244)   #75
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Coronel about the damage, translated from Autosport.nl:

Quote:
The damage to the car is huge. I can't remember when I had this much damage with a racecar. Together with the people from ROAL Motorsport we assessed the damage and the bodyshell has been damaged. Those aren't available in stock, so racing next week will be difficult if not impossible. The car is in Barcelona on Wednesday, then we should be on our way already to France for the next race. But for repairs we need to be in the UK, where bodyshells aren't in stock. It's looking really bad.
And the first raw montage from the footage from Coronels car, plus aftermath, plus reactions from Coronel and Bennani:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMfLnBV1Y1Q

The onboards do show me that Bennani was further along than I first thought he was. Coronel should've given him more space, he punished himself I think.

Last edited by Bramzel; 14 Apr 2014 at 08:18. Reason: Youtube vid added