Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Feb 2002, 12:38 (Ref:210570)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which tactics required to beat Schumacher?

The thorny issue of tactics will be a major factor this year.

Ferrari will again favour MS for the 2002 title with RB riding shotgun to protect Michael's back and take points off the others. This one driver tactic is a hard one for the other teams to fight against.

Take Williams, they have no clear No1 driver who will be going directly for the 2002 title. This means that both RS and JPM will be likely to take points from each other. Say by mid-season JPM is higher in the points than RS - Williams could decide to favour JPM. This raises another series of problems, probably by this time MS's lead is too great to claw back, plus you have the problem of getting RS to stick to any agreement whilst on the track.

If they did favour Montoya and he had a run of bad luck, retirments, accidents or injury - then all the effort backing him as No1 driver would be wasted plus the team mate who has been hanging back to 'support' him is now to far back in the points to mount a title challenge.

The combination of the way Ferrari 'run' their drivers coupled with their fabled reliablity and overall speed make Michael Schumacher very hard to beat. IMO
Old 5 Feb 2002, 12:46 (Ref:210580)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Drive quicker, all the time. That's what Michael does, and that's what JPM or whover have got to do to beat him. I don't think team orders will screw things up for Williams of Mclaren - since both will happliy implement whatever strategy is needed to get the job done. Don't belive Ron and Frank's lies - team orders will be issued if they have a realistic chance of winning.

Your point about Monmotya (for example) being favoured only to suffer a run of bad luck could just as easily play against the Ferrari tactics - as it did when Schumi broke his leg leaving Irvine with a hard job to finish the season off.

I think tyres are more likely to split the opposition to Schumacher than differences in team orders. Some circuits will be good for Michelin, but of those circuits some wins will go to Mclaren and some to Williams.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 13:20 (Ref:210598)   #3
Coach44
Racer

Coach44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm no MS's fan but Ferrari/MS combination, combined with the fact that all (not 70% as RB stated) Ferrari resources go to MS, is a WIN WIN situation again this year.

Williams' car is reportely not as good as expected so we have DC left. Will he be able to mount a decent challenge??? Yes but I don't think he'll be able to win the WDC.
So unfortunately we're stuck with a one man show for first place again. Too bad!! I wish someone would give MS a run for his money but it's not going to happen this year!!
Old 5 Feb 2002, 13:26 (Ref:210602)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, another bore in store this season.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 13:32 (Ref:210606)   #5
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That depends! Anyway, who says that the fight for the championship is the only interesting thing? A 5 way battle for the second looks as exciting I believe...
Old 5 Feb 2002, 15:48 (Ref:210672)   #6
Coach44
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
A 5 way battle for the second looks as exciting I believe...
I agree..at least we have that to look forward to!!

I assume (always a touchy things to do ) that by 5 way battle you mean McClaren, Williams, Sauber, Jordan and "maybe" BAR. My humble opinion is that McClaren should take it again and I say that mainly because I like DC (so I'm being partial. I wish BAR (I mean JV)would be up there but I doubt it.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 17:02 (Ref:210706)   #7
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Errmmmm not quite what I intended to say but you idea is good too
Old 5 Feb 2002, 17:44 (Ref:210718)   #8
Coach44
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Errmmmm not quite what I intended to say but you idea is good too
What did you mean? (just curious )
Old 5 Feb 2002, 17:49 (Ref:210721)   #9
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't Sir Ron Dennis and Sir Frank should fall into the same shameful practices that Ferrari does. Winning is not that important if you have to step on people's dignity.

What they should do is manage to give their drivers good enough cars to make the season entertaining. The winning is just an added bonus when they do it fairly like they have always done it.
Old 5 Feb 2002, 19:26 (Ref:210770)   #10
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Coach44
... combined with the fact that all (not 70% as RB stated) Ferrari resources go to MS ...
Wow!

If this is true, it means Rubens has done really fantastic last year!

Imagine, beating Ralf, Mika and Juan Pablo, without any support from your team ...
Old 5 Feb 2002, 19:33 (Ref:210778)   #11
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try killing him. (joke)
Old 5 Feb 2002, 19:34 (Ref:210780)   #12
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Coach44

What did you mean? (just curious )
I think the 5 are TGF, DC, Kimi, Ralf and JPM. Which leaves BAR out unfortunately
Old 5 Feb 2002, 19:35 (Ref:210782)   #13
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question: Which tactics required to beat Schumacher?
Answer (easy): JPM's tactics

PS: Plus a reliable Williams-BMW !
Old 5 Feb 2002, 19:36 (Ref:210784)   #14
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To me the only tactics people have to win is to play both M Schu and Ross B at there own game - otherwise I think the car it self with be a big issue - but since the ferrari doesn't normally break down - Another Ferrari win.

Remember the old days when we used to say the same about William and Mclaren - why cannot they just let the lower cars win for once!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2002, 20:25 (Ref:210805)   #15
Coach44
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
Wow!

If this is true, it means Rubens has done really fantastic last year!

Imagine, beating Ralf, Mika and Juan Pablo, without any support from your team ...
OK a little bit of exageration on my part
Old 5 Feb 2002, 21:00 (Ref:210828)   #16
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is a way to beat MS and JPM started to do just that last year. He showed MS no respect, barged him off the track on a couple of occasions and otherwise disrespected him. This is not only part of JPM's character but I think it is a calculated response he has to any rival. MS has used this same thing to keep drivers like Damon Hill and DC off pace and off guard. It never worked against MH because he could not be baited. It will be interesting to see how MS responds if JPM has a win early in the season and then starts his psychological warfare.
Never forget #99
Old 5 Feb 2002, 22:22 (Ref:210871)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
although tgf is a brilliant driver, he IS BEATABLE by a few drivers. if williams get their car right (on bended knees with eyes looking upto the sky!) then jpm will take the fight to him, i don't personally think that rafe will take too many points of montoya.i see kimi taking more points of couthard, and as kimi seems to have a future at mclaren, i don't see the call coming if he's in front of the scotsman.

if the williams car is good it will be a fight between jpm and tgf, although of course, maybe ferrari's new gearbox etc will cause them problems!
Old 5 Feb 2002, 22:39 (Ref:210882)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MS is still racing against 21 other drivers. Even if he had 99% of Ferrari behind him he still has to qualify and race better than everyone else. If the car is not good enough or if other teams do their work I do not see why he would "threepeat". In fact Ferrari tactics only work because they have the best driver in the field and one of the best qualifiers ever. If Kimmi, JPM or whoever has the car to win, it is just up to them to do the job. As was mentioned before if MS get into trouble in the middle of the season Ferrari will be fighting for a top six ok maybe top three.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 05:30 (Ref:210976)   #19
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get a driver that's faster than micheal!!!that's the only way now tht the ferrari is as good as the other top cars.Williams did a great thing taking chances on new drivers,jpm is looking very good.Mclaren are taking the risks they need to by getting kimi.Honestly ferrari's no.1 driver policy doesn't mean much now ,They only gained 2 measly points with it last year._valuble most years but not now that the ferrari is equal to other cars...
Old 6 Feb 2002, 05:36 (Ref:210978)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite

I think the 5 are Michael, DC, Kimi, Ralf and JPM. Which leaves BAR out unfortunately
Closer, but not quite close!( that was for Rubens WDC!)

Last edited by Red; 6 Feb 2002 at 05:37.
Old 6 Feb 2002, 12:31 (Ref:211060)   #21
Coach44
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by nicholaswhite

I think the 5 are TGF, DC, Kimi, Ralf and JPM. Which leaves BAR out unfortunately
Here's my wishful thinking:

DC, MS, JPM, RB, RS,

realistically though MS will win again. So..

MS, DC, JPM, RB, RS
Old 6 Feb 2002, 12:38 (Ref:211065)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Quote:
Originally posted by Coach44 realistically though MS will win again. So..[/B]
DC, JPM, RB, RS, KR.

For second
Old 8 Feb 2002, 14:22 (Ref:212322)   #23
Anthony Bartlet
Rookie

Anthony Bartlet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bazooka,or swap his ferrari for a racing Metro. he is the best bar none, the only driver in the same league is Montoya or possibly Sato. Tony B