Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 23 Jun 2004, 12:49 (Ref:1013309)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Panasonic FZ10 advice

Hey guys, i'm looking to get myself a Digital SLR type camera, and i like the look of the FZ10, for £399. Looking in "What Digital Camera" (s) buyers guide, it give's the camera a 91% rating (best of breed).

I like the idea of the 420mm (maximum) lens, my current camera (Minolta 404si Dynax 35mm) goes to a maximum of 210mm. I only use the (current) camera for Silverstone or brands Hatch and it's ideal for pictures in the pits (for example) but doesn't get "close enough" to ontrack action.

The only thing that concerns me with the FZ10 is, one of the "cons" listed is, prefer a manual zoom.

Would this be quick enough for pics at a grand prix (on track action)? It lists the shutter speed as 8-1/2000sec.

Or would i be better sticking with my Minolta, but getting a better lens? (Any advice on lens and possible price would be much appreciated)

I must confess, that i'm a total novice when it comes to camera's, and the above figures are from the WDC mag (and to be honest, go over my head )

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips
Old 23 Jun 2004, 14:04 (Ref:1013391)   #2
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the motorised (as opposed to manual) zoom isn't too much of an issue for most things, and certainly isn't related to the range of shutter speeds - up to 1/2000th is certainly fast enough to freeze motion should you wish to do so.

The more important thing is to check out the shutter-lag (the time between pressing the button and the shot being taken) as this is much more important for catching moving subjects.

I don't have the time just now to check that out for you, but take a look at www.dpreview.com which may have a review of the camera. If it does, it will be as comprehensive as you'd ever want it to be, and ought to include such details.

The best thing is to wander into a shop and just try it out, take some of cars passing outside if you can.