Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 8 Nov 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1455089)   #1
pmoloney
Racer

United Kingdom
Staffordshire
pmoloney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hiring out you car!

Has anyone ever hired out their car to a paying driver? How do you go about doing it? What's the going rate? Just curious!
Old 8 Nov 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1455298)   #2
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I know my mate hired his Camaro out a few years back for a race and charged £500, thing was he borrowed my engine and as the oik left the pit lane it threw a fan belt but as he paid his money he just carried on till he seized my motor up and I never did get a new one out of them, never again will I lend a car or engine out!
Old 8 Nov 2005, 16:54 (Ref:1455332)   #3
Tim Wilkinson
Veteran

England
Essex
Tim Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I lent mine to a friend for an instructed session at a trackday. Has so far cost me about £2k after he snatched 1st instead of 3rd.
No matter how well prepared the car is, you can't protect against that, so I won't be letting anyone else drive it again, paying or not.
Old 8 Nov 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1455372)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I would never do it. I do know of a company that did hire out replica Dtypes for racing and they charged between £1000 and £1750 per race depending on the level of service the customer required. They insisted on insurance which I think was extra..
Old 8 Nov 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1455528)   #5
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have lent out a car on odd occasions over the years although this has been to other competitors in the same series (who had damaged their cars) I was running in at races I could not attend. Providing you have a proper written agreement and a damage/engine deposit and they pay for insurance then you should not have a problem.
In terms of working out what you should charge you need to consider the value of the car, what others in the same series are renting cars for, how competitive your car is, how much the car actually costs you to run per mile and whether you will run the car at the meeting.
I would guess that the absolute min would be about £500 to just provide the car with no back up together with the deposit and the insurance certificate. Also to avoid disputes I would tend to photograph the car from all angles with a digital camera when the renter arrives so that you are all clear about the state of the car.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 18:48 (Ref:1456555)   #6
RAY DACKOMBE
Rookie

RAY DACKOMBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
also look out for the try before you buy brigade,thats how i got my car as a roller,someone took it out for a test overreved it and grenaded the motor,never to be heard from again
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1456579)   #7
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was considering this at one point, but even if you grab a £1000 deposit. If they monster the car and do more damage, chances are you wouldn't see them again.

Now if they were sponsored, you could get the sponsor to send everything to you up front.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1456606)   #8
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you wanted to hire something like mine, you'd be looking at around 10K per round, plus insurance to the tune of £120K. That would include entry fee, on-track support, test, two sets of dry tyres, and fuel. Up front, with the insurance certificate.

If they fail to qualify, chuck it in the kitty litter, or break it, that's it, game over.

Rob.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1456608)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Don't think you will get many takers Rob :-)
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1456621)   #10
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Compared to some of the car's I've seen for hire, with lesser spec (Gp.N Honda, and similar), my thrills come cheap.

Oh, I should have added, that would be for a Britcar 2hr race, not a 10 lap clubbie!

Rob.

Rob.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1456639)   #11
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Oh that makes all the difference then.....................LOL

Only pulling your leg.

I ride in one of those things would cover me for a season or two.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:27 (Ref:1456640)   #12
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try a PM to topwelshman Paul
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:37 (Ref:1456652)   #13
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Yes Paul, have a word with Del.

And Walshy, that sort of cash would have kept me in Super Road Saloons in my old Nova for about 3 years!! (one race that is).

Rob.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:39 (Ref:1456655)   #14
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Mad isn't it?
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1456658)   #15
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Completely. That's why I love it.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:45 (Ref:1456665)   #16
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Well.

I'll be sure to be in touch if my numbers come up tonight.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 20:52 (Ref:1456671)   #17
johnw
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
Yes Paul, have a word with Del.
Topwelshman = Dom Evans Rob. Del is another Welshman
Old 10 Nov 2005, 06:48 (Ref:1456957)   #18
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
oops sorry! Starts with D, been a long day,
Old 10 Nov 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1457309)   #19
johnw
Veteran

England
Hey 1000 posts! Congrats.
Old 10 Nov 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1457320)   #20
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
If you wanted to hire something like mine, you'd be looking at around 10K per round, plus insurance to the tune of £120K. That would include entry fee, on-track support, test, two sets of dry tyres, and fuel. Up front, with the insurance certificate.

Oh, I should have added, that would be for a Britcar 2hr race, not a 10 lap clubbie!

Rob.
Does that include oil? From what you've posted elsewhere, would it complete a ten lapper let alone a Britcar race?
Old 10 Nov 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1457459)   #21
peter thurston
Racer

peter thurston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry rob but you have left yourself wide open for this one. You say 10k but how much if it was going!!! 1000 posts heh,lets say time to turn on the computer and type your message I make that 167 hrs of wasted time that would have been better spend getting the car finished.pete
Old 10 Nov 2005, 21:47 (Ref:1457632)   #22
pmoloney
Racer

United Kingdom
Staffordshire
pmoloney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnw
Try a PM to topwelshman Paul
I'm waiting to see how long it takes him to see this thread and wonder what I'm going to do with my new aquisition!!

I even got a little carried away myself and bought www.racecardrives.com to start a new website!
Old 10 Nov 2005, 22:51 (Ref:1457686)   #23
topwelshman
Racer

Wales
Cardiff
topwelshman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An hour Paul, I'm Dom Evans, the guy behind XL Motorsport, not to be confused with Del although we're both Welsh and both have dodgy beards! We offer arrive and drives so if any of you are interested drop me a line. We have 1 E36 M3 and a 2nd which we are looking to build for 2006, there are a multitude of options available regards championships and we can tailor a package to suit budget, including Britcar and S1 if required.
Old 11 Nov 2005, 10:57 (Ref:1457969)   #24
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've been thinking about doing this with my car, and possibly with the 2nd car I've got planned. It would be to do hour long Historic saloon races. Complete support would be included and Insurance is a must.

I can't see it being less than a grand a race ? depending on location etc
Old 12 Nov 2005, 08:26 (Ref:1458656)   #25
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have rented single seater cars in the past, including F.Vauxhall Lotus, F.Vauxhall Junior. There were 2 methods of renting them - 1 which meant I assumed all responsibility for everything, even if the motor blew its guts up in the paddock prior to qualifying. The second was where I assumed accident damage and driver error damage (we had datalogging fitted), with the owner assuming engine bottom end / fair wear and tear damage. The costs ranged from 300 - 600GBP per unsupported race in Monoposto. Support was around 200 per day extra. These were 'mates rates' though, and in return I assisted with car setup and feedback to the owner.