Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jul 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3275546)   #76
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
They should have left Kimi out, IMHO.

It was a risk but it was win or come 4th. It was always tougher to catch Vettel.
i assumed they did it because they had a fresh set of softs to give him so was shocked when he came out with a scrubbed used set.

they have been burned before by not making the late stop (china last year i think and then again last race) so cant really blame them for going conservative i guess.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3275583)   #77
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why on earth was Force India not investigated/ punished for the Di Resta release? I hate to be the guy on an armchair with a beer in his hand who can sometimes do a better job, but sometimes I can.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3275616)   #78
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Why on earth was Force India not investigated/ punished for the Di Resta release? I hate to be the guy on an armchair with a beer in his hand who can sometimes do a better job, but sometimes I can.
It seems as though some people don't like the idea of punishing the driver for something that he hasn't done. I also think that the FIA are a bit short of cash.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 23:20 (Ref:3275629)   #79
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Um - they WERE penalised - 5K Euro fine applied after the race. In my view they should have copped something during the race but they WERE investigated and punished.
Old 8 Jul 2013, 23:24 (Ref:3275633)   #80
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It seems as though some people don't like the idea of punishing the driver for something that he hasn't done. I also think that the FIA are a bit short of cash.
The driver is a member of the team and the team were punished - would have been the same if a penalty of some kind was applied during the race - it's not simply the driver who gets punished - it's the whole team that loses position.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 02:03 (Ref:3275682)   #81
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
you can....

Simply excellent, he he...
Old 9 Jul 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3275868)   #82
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Um - they WERE penalised - 5K Euro fine applied after the race. In my view they should have copped something during the race but they WERE investigated and punished.
So it did happen, you can't blame FIA for being slow...
Old 9 Jul 2013, 12:37 (Ref:3275874)   #83
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No more cameramen allowed in the pit lane due to the incident. They will only be allowed at the pit wall starting the next race. I wonder how this will affect coverage. We will miss out on more pit stop drama. Time to install more remote cameras.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 12:52 (Ref:3275880)   #84
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good, they were fast reacting.
Maybe we could see some cameras on mechanics' helmets instead, not sure if it's been done already ? Or point some onboard cameras towards the wheels so we can see the pitstop from a driver perspective.
There are many ways to have a good pit coverage really.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 13:01 (Ref:3275884)   #85
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
No more cameramen allowed in the pit lane due to the incident. They will only be allowed at the pit wall starting the next race. I wonder how this will affect coverage. We will miss out on more pit stop drama. Time to install more remote cameras.
The problem with the cameraman, apart from the potential danger, is the viewer can only partially see what's going on one side of the car. An aerial shot from above, using a remote camera, would give a much better the view of what's going on.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3275887)   #86
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The driver is a member of the team and the team were punished - would have been the same if a penalty of some kind was applied during the race - it's not simply the driver who gets punished - it's the whole team that loses position.
I also don't like the fact that a driver gets punished for having a dicky gearbox, particularly when he may find this out two or three weeks (as in right now) before the next race is due to take place.

I think that there are some areas in which a driver and his team should be treated as seperate entities. That being one of them.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3275891)   #87
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The problem with the cameraman, apart from the potential danger, is the viewer can only partially see what's going on one side of the car. An aerial shot from above, using a remote camera, would give a much better the view of what's going on.
There was a time when there used to be a camera at some circuit that was on a rail that went along the top of all the garages. It wouldn't take too much of a technological breakthrough to have that camera, or those cameras, to have enough features on it/them to be able to do the same job that Paul Allan was doing.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 13:25 (Ref:3275900)   #88
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
There was a time when there used to be a camera at some circuit that was on a rail that went along the top of all the garages. It wouldn't take too much of a technological breakthrough to have that camera, or those cameras, to have enough features on it/them to be able to do the same job that Paul Allan was doing.
If there was a fixed camera above each pit garage, then the viewer could potentially watch a pit stop with two cars pitting more or less simultaneously, by splitting the screen.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3275906)   #89
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
I also don't like the fact that a driver gets punished for having a dicky gearbox, particularly when he may find this out two or three weeks (as in right now) before the next race is due to take place.

I think that there are some areas in which a driver and his team should be treated as seperate entities. That being one of them.
Not going to agree with you there but happy to agree to disagree.

Motor racing is a team sport and the driver is simply the most visible member of the team. When it's a gearbox penalty, that penalises the whole team, when a driver makes a mistake or does something silly on track, that penalises the whole team. The actions of any team member can impact in a good or bad way on the rest of the team.

The only time I can see a justification to penalise the team and not the driver is in the case of a car designed to break the rules and the driver is not aware - even then splitting penalties is debatable depending on the exact circumstances.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 16:18 (Ref:3275955)   #90
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Not going to agree with you there but happy to agree to disagree.

Motor racing is a team sport and the driver is simply the most visible member of the team. When it's a gearbox penalty, that penalises the whole team, when a driver makes a mistake or does something silly on track, that penalises the whole team. The actions of any team member can impact in a good or bad way on the rest of the team.

The only time I can see a justification to penalise the team and not the driver is in the case of a car designed to break the rules and the driver is not aware - even then splitting penalties is debatable depending on the exact circumstances.
So, can we also have back the regulation, or lack thereof, that allows the driver whose car has suffered a gearbox problem, the chance to use his team mates gearbox, or his team mates car! without penalty? Those were the days. What we have now is far too restrictive and really goes against what a 'team' ought to be able to do with regard to its own drivers and machinery. So, my position is, if they can no longer do that, what's the point of any other restrictive team order?

Last edited by Marbot; 9 Jul 2013 at 16:31.
Old 9 Jul 2013, 21:24 (Ref:3276065)   #91
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Quote:
So, can we also have back the regulation, or lack thereof, that allows the driver whose car has suffered a gearbox problem, the chance to use his team mates gearbox, or his team mates car! without penalty? Those were the days. What we have now is far too restrictive and really goes against what a 'team' ought to be able to do with regard to its own drivers and machinery. So, my position is, if they can no longer do that, what's the point of any other restrictive team order?
Them were the days - qualifying gearboxes & engines, T cars, you could actually adjust your car between qualifying and the race etc. Completely agree that it is too restrictive and artificial now (although I largely "get" why it has been done, I don't find it as appealing). That's the current regulatory framework though and provides the parameters that each team (including drivers) must live within.
Old 11 Jul 2013, 03:35 (Ref:3276434)   #92
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 technology improves at every race....looks like the camera coverage will also to compensate for kicking out the guys that hold them.