Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 18 Oct 2012, 21:05 (Ref:3154057)   #26
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I think he chose the name Martin. I think he also did some sort of Chinese F Renault before A1, and may even have been Champion. And karting before that, in Shanghai IIRC.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3154058)   #27
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
I find it funny that the politically correct crowd out there in society on one hand mouths that we are a sexless society where everyone is completely equal, yet they are the most obsessed with making a big drama pointing out all of the differences between sexes.
kind of my point i suppose, but with a bit less fist-shaking. i really want to see more women involved in motorsport, but i don't want them held aloft as being special because they're a woman. they're just another person with another skillset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
You know one driver I do appreciate is Kat Legge. She didn't make a big drama about her sex, she went out there and knocked on doors and then did the best she could with the opportunities she developed. She didn't splay herself on a car in a bikini for the lads mags or hook onto a man to pay for her ambitions.
being fair to susie, she hasn't ever got her kit off or used her sexuality to extract cash from companies. i doubt very much she saw her husband when they met and went "ker-ching! that's my racing career sorted" because she's simply not that kind of girl. but i appreciate that in a racer too - both male and female. with some drivers you really wonder how much they're engaged with their racing career and not faffing around with fashion and the party set.

i agree with chillibowl as well. susie has her head screwed on the right way. she'd be a great mentor for young girls getting involved with the sport. they absolutely should look up to her for her conduct, presentation and ability.

anyway, isn't giedo van der garde essentially in the same position with the whole partner being well off and the family supporting his career thing? i don't see anyone calling him out for that, or suggesting he's with her for her family business, but i guess it's different if it's a guy
Old 18 Oct 2012, 21:24 (Ref:3154062)   #28
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ostrogothicus View Post
As for keeping whoever out of a drive, unless they got fired and then Narain took their seat he isn't actually denying anyone a drive. He got offered the drive and said what anyone would say: "YES!"
Plus he has enough backing to be able to put in a bid for the seat in the first place. Indeed to be able to hang around and 'be there' to keep his name in play.

This will be equally true for most of the others.

Does anyone know which drivers get paid by the teams for their work and which drivers pay the teams for the opportunities?
Old 18 Oct 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3154074)   #29
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
kind of my point i suppose, but with a bit less fist-shaking. i really want to see more women involved in motorsport, but i don't want them held aloft as being special because they're a woman. they're just another person with another skillset.

being fair to susie, she hasn't ever got her kit off or used her sexuality to extract cash from companies. i doubt very much she saw her husband when they met and went "ker-ching! that's my racing career sorted" because she's simply not that kind of girl. but i appreciate that in a racer too - both male and female. with some drivers you really wonder how much they're engaged with their racing career and not faffing around with fashion and the party set.

i agree with chillibowl as well. susie has her head screwed on the right way. she'd be a great mentor for young girls getting involved with the sport. they absolutely should look up to her for her conduct, presentation and ability.

anyway, isn't giedo van der garde essentially in the same position with the whole partner being well off and the family supporting his career thing? i don't see anyone calling him out for that, or suggesting he's with her for her family business, but i guess it's different if it's a guy
A quick Google image search will show you that's not quite accurate
Although she's nowhere near Danica's league when it comes to self promotion 'glamour'-wise.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3154084)   #30
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
my mistake, i don't go around googling female racing drivers as a habit

being fair if you google some male drivers (not that i do that either), there's quite a few of them keen to get their kit off or have a bit of fun pouting in front of a camera (or on a catwalk, muhahahaha). so it's not really an exclusive female thing.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 22:29 (Ref:3154085)   #31
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A driver who is probably not talented enough for F1 racing has found their way into an F1 drive through circumstances, some talent and connections.

That's what's happened here and it's very common.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 22:58 (Ref:3154093)   #32
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Ha Ha that's a fair point.

Personally though, if I just wanted to watch a load of rich and privileged drivers "living the dream" I'd go to the Goodwood Revival or virtually any FIA GT race.

This is Formula One we're talking about, it really does have to be based on talent, even if it's just rich or well backed talent.....the very thought of drivers who have never won a race taking part is appalling.
Which is exactly why they should make the series open, and bring back pre-qualifying. It stops these talentless nominals being classed as F1 drivers, which they are NOT!
Old 18 Oct 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3154100)   #33
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post

Most of this post to me, seems to be making snide remarks about Miss Patrick.

In fairness to her she has used her points of err "differentiation" to build a successful career, and why shouldn't she? Jeff Gordon has traded on his looks and considerable talent to get where he is. Why shouldn't Danica?

She has persued her career in a male dominated sport to the best of her ability, and in fairness done really well. She is quick and dedicated, and independent, and I would hazard a pretty fair role model for women in motorsport / sport.

Most of the ill feeling directed at her is the mysoginist rubbish comming from those who resent women in motorsport.
Old 18 Oct 2012, 23:20 (Ref:3154108)   #34
QnickFTW
Racer

QnickFTW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome. Why not give her the young driver test days too? Is it because thats not to be wasted on publicity stunts? Alright then.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 10:23 (Ref:3154284)   #35
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Paid drivers are all part of the business and being a woman is just another marketable trait that can be tapped. What I take from this is the sad reality that pay-drivers are becoming ever more ubiquitous again and the overall quality of the participants is threatened albeit those pay drivers that are racing usually do have talent at least for the moment.. It's also a sad remark on the once mighty Williams team. Still that Wolff get his missus a spin means that there is one household where domestic peace reigns.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 11:03 (Ref:3154299)   #36
Buildtech
Rookie

United Kingdom
Tasmania AUSTRALIA
Buildtech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Far more interesting to see Senna in the FW08 and Maldonado in the FW18; I wonder what they would have achieved in these cars in their respective eras.

The Wolff drive.....well isn't she a lucky lady, and fair play to her in the fact that she can drive one of these cars at any sort of pace around Silverstone, I know I couldn't with or without money and or a rich hubby. It's happened before and it will happen again, the mere fact that we are all talking about it means that Williams and their sponsors are reaping the publicity benefits.

Female drivers with real raw talent - that sounds like a good thread, I can certainly think of a few.

Last edited by Buildtech; 19 Oct 2012 at 11:08.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3154302)   #37
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Paid drivers are all part of the business and being a woman is just another marketable trait that can be tapped.
Oh, i'd 'tap it' alright.

Wheeeey! Lads!

High five? lads? *slopes off ashamed*
Old 19 Oct 2012, 11:25 (Ref:3154308)   #38
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
I've just read this thread in its entirety, and nowhere does it say that this was anything to do with F1 RACING. IMHO it was just a case of her old man asking if she could just have a sort of "fun day" - there's no suggestion anywhere that this is a prelude to her entering F1.

If you've got the power to arrange this sort of thing, why not? it's not going anywhere.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 13:06 (Ref:3154358)   #39
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I've just read this thread in its entirety, and nowhere does it say that this was anything to do with F1 RACING. IMHO it was just a case of her old man asking if she could just have a sort of "fun day" - there's no suggestion anywhere that this is a prelude to her entering F1.

If you've got the power to arrange this sort of thing, why not? it's not going anywhere.
Oh please.....if you believe that you'll believe anything
Old 19 Oct 2012, 13:17 (Ref:3154360)   #40
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
By the way, doesn't that tell a great message to all little girls, who aspire to do something in auto racing? "Just marry someone, who own shares in a F1 team. The rest will come from itself." As I'm reminded of Giovanna Amati (Who once had an affair with Flavio Briatore), didn't she have a test drive with Benetton, before or after her tenure with Brabham?
Don't worry, chicks already kow that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
13 seasons

134 races

ZERO wins ever

4 podiums

Clearly F1 material!
She got podiums???
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
dam shes hot, but will she be quick enough? no..
If you think she's hot, just wait til you see the rest of the internet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Paid drivers are all part of the business and being a woman is just another marketable trait that can be tapped. .
Yeah, that's a good one.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 13:32 (Ref:3154364)   #41
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Oh please.....if you believe that you'll believe anything
But isn't there still a % rule for qualifying? I'm sure Mr Wolff wouldn't want his missus to look stupid in front of millions on TV. No racing IMO. Like no Shergar, no Lord Lucan etc.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3154373)   #42
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Desire Wilson who won an Aurora F1 race, was that good, sadly the barriers did not evaporate!
As much as I respect Desire, having seen her from FFord days, she really wasn't that good. I put her on the same level as Derek Daly who was, let's be honest, ordinary.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3154385)   #43
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
As much as I respect Desire, having seen her from FFord days, she really wasn't that good. I put her on the same level as Derek Daly who was, let's be honest, ordinary.
I'd rate Desiré Wilson as a decent National-level Club driver, no better than that; I'd certainly not put her on a par with Derek Daly.

Albeit she never drove an F1 car, but the best female driver I ever saw in British National racing was Deirdre Garlick.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 14:45 (Ref:3154392)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah well, I think Derek was no more than a good national level club racer too.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 14:50 (Ref:3154397)   #45
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
You surprise me, Peter; to me, his record in F2 and subsequently F1 suggests that he might have been a little better than that....
Old 19 Oct 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3154434)   #46
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And now, Susie Wolff has announced her retirement from DTM. Coincidence?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 16:51 (Ref:3154442)   #47
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
maybe even she has realised she's not very good after all...
Old 19 Oct 2012, 16:56 (Ref:3154444)   #48
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
maybe even she has realised she's not very good after all...
Naah.... F1 driver, isn't she?
Old 19 Oct 2012, 17:07 (Ref:3154451)   #49
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No. To be brutally honest, many women drivers I have known keep their hand in until they land their hot ticket husband in the industry and then they stop driving. The Williams drive was a nice hail and farewell.
Old 19 Oct 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3154476)   #50
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I read that headline on Autosport's site, but when I clicked to read the article a window popped up saying I'd used all my free views this month and that to read anything I'd have to pay.
Bloody cheek!
So anyway, I didn't get to read it...
Closed Thread