Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Dec 2013, 07:33 (Ref:3348503)   #151
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What they could do to make it interesting is select 3 races to be double points via random draw at the end of the year.

That way no one knows who wins!
Old 29 Dec 2013, 08:54 (Ref:3348510)   #152
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All of these (what I consider to be daft) ideas are really aimed at spicing up the show. Clearly, IMHO, those who are racing fans have absolutely no interest in DRS, lifed tyres, KERs (other than the technical aspect), double points for wearing orange underpants in Friday practice 1 etc.

If the FIA took away all the gimmicks I bet Silverstone, Monza, Spa, Montreal, Monaco and possibly Budapest, would still be sold out. These gimmicks are there, not to make the racing more interesting, but to make the event more viewer friendly thereby appeasing Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and Singapore etc.

In other words it may be time for the real fans to vote with their feet. Formula 1 motor sport is dead.
Old 29 Dec 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3348586)   #153
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
All of these (what I consider to be daft) ideas are really aimed at spicing up the show. Clearly, IMHO, those who are racing fans have absolutely no interest in DRS, lifed tyres, KERs (other than the technical aspect), double points for wearing orange underpants in Friday practice 1 etc.

If the FIA took away all the gimmicks I bet Silverstone, Monza, Spa, Montreal, Monaco and possibly Budapest, would still be sold out. These gimmicks are there, not to make the racing more interesting, but to make the event more viewer friendly thereby appeasing Abu Dhabi, Bahrain and Singapore etc.

In other words it may be time for the real fans to vote with their feet. Formula 1 motor sport is dead.
Maybe if they brought back gravel traps, proper start / clutch procedures (without the trick launch control / start maps), wider cars with wider tyres, less aero. The sport might be worth following avidly again...
Old 29 Dec 2013, 19:10 (Ref:3348645)   #154
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
A dance competition to set the grid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
Maybe if they brought back gravel traps, proper start / clutch procedures (without the trick launch control / start maps), wider cars with wider tyres, less aero. The sport might be worth following avidly again...
Correct and correct. But the prospects for such a change do not look good. After a hustler like Bernie, it looks like it'll be another
bunch of sharks to chew on the F1 carcass.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 13:04 (Ref:3348894)   #155
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Why stop there? A gear lever, a clutch pedal, no buttons on the steering wheel, a choke control , tyres made to exactly 1971 specifications with wheels to match, no carbon fibre, no radio communication (that's what I would actually suggest), a budget cap (and that), gravel traps (who cares if a driver was pushed into one by another driver, that's just racin'), less aero? How much less? We still want F1 cars to be quicker than, let's say, Indy cars, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Correct and correct. But the prospects for such a change do not look good.
No, they don't look good, at all.
Old 30 Dec 2013, 16:01 (Ref:3348932)   #156
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The point is that All of this is just degrading the sport. Surely if it weren't for big business it would have died a respectable an honourable death years ago. As sad as that may be, for me it would have been better than the sham we have now.
Old 31 Dec 2013, 23:52 (Ref:3349339)   #157
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For those of you with Autosport subscriptions there is an interesting article about what next years cars might look like based on the regs.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...ill-look-like/
Old 6 Jan 2014, 22:40 (Ref:3351043)   #158
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP View Post
What they could do to make it interesting is select 3 races to be double points via random draw at the end of the year.

That way no one knows who wins!
Bernie wants three races with double points....
So the podium drivers at the final round each get to draw a race from the years hat of races and those 3 races get the double points toward that years championship.
So no one knows until the final race is decided which 3 races will have double points (bonus) awarded toward the years championship. It will count for both the WDC and the constructors championship.
That should keep Luca happily talking for a while......

In reality it simply needs a stronger FIA to focus back on mechanical technology and release the teams (and the sport) from the curse of aerodynamics.

If Pirelli provided three types of tyre, a wet, a slick, and an intermediate, all capable of doing the entire distance the tyre management situation would be solved. Yes, they would be harder, and probably offer less grip.

Then give every team the spec rear wings, front wings and an under-body/floor, and they have to build the car between the axles, not outside the axles or underneath.

Cornering speeds would drop appreciatively, braking distances increase, race strategy and driving skill be more essential, race time would longer, but the distance wouldn't increase. We would see less of the racing on rails and there would probably be a greater variety of effective lines through some corners. Overtaking or place changes may occur more frequently for a variety of reasons other than DRS, which hopefully would be banned.

I would also like to see a return to a foot actuated clutch and gear lever and see the paddles disappear. Old fashioned? Yes, but it brings back a return to driving skills, and a move away from electronic substitution of what were formerly driving skills. It is primarily a drivers championship, NOT an technical exercise in building horizontal space projectiles.

The roots of F1 are still in the drivers championship, not the constructors championship. The current emphasis on the constructors championship is just a way of diverting attention from the real issues on the sport interface with spectators and supporters.

You want to save money? Then form regulations that take away the advantage rich teams have in racking up hours in wind tunnels that create huge discrepancies in cornering speed that give a handful of people an advantage over the have-not's that they can never overcome unless they steal another teams brains trust.
Yes some teams will always be richer and have more to spend but direct it away from minute increments in aero advantage and back into mechanical advantage

Last edited by Teretonga; 6 Jan 2014 at 22:50.
Old 6 Jan 2014, 23:05 (Ref:3351046)   #159
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
+1 agreed

Trouble is, no-one seems to want to dramatically reduce downforce, that suggestion has been put forward many a time. Just that alone would improve racing and reduce costs probably.
As for going back to more driver input, that's dead in the water.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 04:17 (Ref:3351091)   #160
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
+1 agreed

That would be a nightmare, imagine not being able to fleece massively backed twits because talent actually counted!

How many pay riders are there in MotoGP?
Old 7 Jan 2014, 11:02 (Ref:3351178)   #161
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG View Post
+1 agreed

Trouble is, no-one seems to want to dramatically reduce downforce, that suggestion has been put forward many a time. Just that alone would improve racing and reduce costs probably.
Yep, paddle shift is pretty much standard in the junior formula's no, the next generation of drivers reaching F1 will probably have never actually changed gear in a racing car in their lives.

Actually I was reading recently that manual gearboxes will become more and more uncommon in road cars within the next 10-20 years as auto/tiptronic systems become standard so they can be integrated with technology like collision avoidance, self parking and next generation eco engine management systems, hybrid/EV technology, etc, etc.
Old 7 Jan 2014, 11:30 (Ref:3351187)   #162
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
For road vehicles that's fine, and let's face it, there are millions of idiots on public roads that need help in driving.
Race driving though has always been and should continue to be more demanding driving. The way technology is helping race drivers must surely make Jo Public think it's less of a challenge than it once was. I know it's not quite the same, but the absolutely easiest cars to drive in PC simulators are modern F1 cars, even with aids off.

Probably gone off-topic a bit here, sorry.
Old 14 Jan 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3353860)   #163
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to this it doesn't look like the double points rule is going to go away any time soon.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112122
Old 15 Jan 2014, 17:50 (Ref:3354345)   #164
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Horner warns about double points.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report...ce=mostpopular
Old 16 Jan 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3354972)   #165
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jonathon Noble of Autosport has joined the fans in saying no to double points.

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/fe...double-points/
Old 22 Jan 2014, 14:05 (Ref:3357070)   #166
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Tony Fernandes has come out against double points for the last race.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112224

The tide is turning on this idea of Bernie's and I hope it goes out soon.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 14:23 (Ref:3357075)   #167
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I think they've made a dreadful mistake. It's the wrong solution to the wrong problem and the damaging publicity will only build and be more agonising as the year progresses towards that final race. It will be seen by most commentators as a cynical ploy - and they would be right.

I don't see them having the wisdom to relent. They seemed to have staked their credibility on pressing ahead with this and will hardly have the wisdom to salvage what credibility that have left with the latest frivolous gimmick they've cooked up.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 11:26 (Ref:3357368)   #168
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25859321 I really do not know what to say , just as I was starting to look forward to this season .
Old 23 Jan 2014, 11:53 (Ref:3357377)   #169
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/25859321 I really do not know what to say , just as I was starting to look forward to this season .
I hope this doesn't set a precedent for future seasons. To quote various Star Wars characters, ''I've a bad feeling about this."
Old 23 Jan 2014, 12:11 (Ref:3357382)   #170
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think I might "vote with my remote" and not watch the final race . I may have stopped watching by then anyway .
Old 23 Jan 2014, 20:09 (Ref:3357582)   #171
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's still 11 months, 18 races and one massive court case before Abu Dhabi. A lot can happen in a year...
Old 23 Jan 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3357584)   #172
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
There's still 11 months, 18 races and one massive court case before Abu Dhabi. A lot can happen in a year...
I hope the WDC is decided before Abu Dhabi.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 22:25 (Ref:3357675)   #173
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I hope this doesn't set a precedent for future seasons. To quote various Star Wars characters, ''I've a bad feeling about this."
IMHO the precedent was set with DRS and all that junk.
Old 23 Jan 2014, 23:50 (Ref:3357724)   #174
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
Thanks for that - I think!

Perhaps the other GP organizers should halve their sanctioning fees to reflect the less important status of their races in the championship!
Old 24 Jan 2014, 00:42 (Ref:3357745)   #175
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
IMHO the precedent was set with DRS and all that junk.
But no one could have predicted this.