Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 May 2000, 16:06 (Ref:441)   #1
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a note to DC fans. I know I've slagged him off in the past but I think we all wish him a sound recovery and compassion for those who died.

NB I here DC SHOULD be OK for Barca GP. Lets hope so
Old 2 May 2000, 17:04 (Ref:442)   #2
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Holyyy Shiiiiiit!!! It was horrible. I was sipping coffe and browsing channels. On BBC world I saw the caption 'breaking news' with a photograph of DC on background and the compare's exact words were :

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>...were killed. The crash took place at...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

f*&*#@&*%$&@()$&^*($^*(@.... For seconds I was numb and felt SICK!! Then finally when I heard DC is OK DAMMIT it was a huge relief. Still I fee lsorry for the pilots.

It just proves the sport these days has gone beyond the limits of human endurance. The jet set lifestyle and the money... last year it was Payne stewart who was a great golfer! the money, the glamour, the blitz, the charisma, the power and the hunger for more...Is it all worth it??
Old 2 May 2000, 17:35 (Ref:443)   #3
Ace
Rookie

Ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glad to know DC is fine after all. Now he has experienced a close encounter with the ultimate fate,is he going to be the same racer? I think he will

Go DC Go
Old 2 May 2000, 17:53 (Ref:444)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its scary as a race fan to see headlines like these because so many times in the past have celebrities and public figures have not been so fortunate as to survive plane crashes. Glad to hear that DC and his fiance have survived and my condolences go out to families of the flight crew for their loss.
Old 2 May 2000, 19:41 (Ref:445)   #5
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Capital Radio were reporting that DC and his mrs. were killed in the crash, so it was a relief to here later that he wasn't - though that doesn't help the families of those who were. The three that got out were very lucky - the whole of the front end of the plane had gone, and the passenger cabin seemed rather charred.
Old 2 May 2000, 19:52 (Ref:446)   #6
fatbloke
Veteran

For anyone who's not seen it...

Old 2 May 2000, 20:25 (Ref:447)   #7
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor DC I was horrified and shocked when I received the news this afternoon. I believe this will upset him, more than he will let on. Lets hope he makes a speady recovery
Old 2 May 2000, 20:57 (Ref:448)   #8
Tristan
Veteran

That's a point! Will it shake him up? DC has been in the news quite a bit this week: contract 2001 "safe", team orders at McLaren... WILL this affect him. If so, what of Hakinnen? DC's in the lead at the moment, but if his form is set to faulter...
Who will be #1? By the time that's worked out TGF could well be off in the distance.

On another note, it's good to hear he's OK. When I posted this topic I only knew DC'd been "taken to hospital". Good news, despite all his faults as a driver (couldn't resist!).
Old 2 May 2000, 22:33 (Ref:449)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know i haven't cheered for McLaren for a long long time.... but then this....Cubehead all the way! I really do hope he goes out there and flogs them on the weekend.
Old 2 May 2000, 23:46 (Ref:450)   #10
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm just darned glad he and Hiedi are okay. Its very sad about the the piolets. Its one of the risks of the modern fast paced world.

I hope it doesn't affect DC too badly. I hope he's on a roll.
Old 3 May 2000, 00:06 (Ref:451)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can only add my condolences to the families of the crew.

I had that awful sick sensation when the news broke this afternoon, and memories of the night we lost Graham Hill. I am very relieved for David and Heidi. May they be blessed with a swift recovery.
Old 3 May 2000, 00:58 (Ref:452)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank God he is alive and well. What a nightmare that will be for a long time to come! And P.S. to Heidi, tell him to marry you today. Because there may not be time to wait until everything is perfect ....
Old 3 May 2000, 01:14 (Ref:453)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed this was a close call for the speedy scot. However, I have no doubt that this will not affect his performance. I am glad to hear that he is going to race and Spain and will, as always be going for him all the way as long as he is not in competition with Villeneuve (fat chance).

Go DC!
Old 3 May 2000, 04:31 (Ref:454)   #14
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its good news that DC will be driving in the spanish GP. I've read that DC likes to browse the web and somebody tells me that he's a secret member of the 10/10th forum. After this horrible accident it may be tough for DC to go out and drive flat out this weekend. Imho DC has got this tremendous inferiority complex with respect to Mika. Mika has dominated him as a result. DC, if u happen to read this, dont take Mika to your head. You've got to tame the lion not by beating him on raw pace(you know you cant do it) but by accumulating points.

After this accident we may see many more DC supporters in the stands. Will DC do it this year?
Old 3 May 2000, 08:24 (Ref:455)   #15
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go DC go !
Old 3 May 2000, 08:39 (Ref:456)   #16
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to hear that DC is ok - so many celebrities go out in plane crashes - glad to see that it wasn't his time.

Even though I go for the Jordans I hope he can get himself togther ok for the weekend and do well.

Drive on my friend !

Old 3 May 2000, 10:07 (Ref:457)   #17
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will he really be racing this weekend? Even if he is physically up to it, this tragedy must affect him deeply emotionally, since both pilots were killed. He might not be able to focus on racing at the moment, but it is of course his decision. He have my total support no matter what he chooses. We are very lucky indeed that he and Heidi are still with us.
Old 3 May 2000, 10:32 (Ref:458)   #18
Scottie
Rookie

Scottie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only way to put a tradegy like this out of one's mind is to concentrate fully on something else. Once DC has put in a few laps, he will be back on form.

Go Jacques & DC.
Old 3 May 2000, 12:36 (Ref:459)   #19
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The latest story on the BBC Web site quotes DC's agent as saying he'll be ready for Sunday's race; he's to undergo a physical exam Thursday. Ex-driver John Watson says he believes DC, like all pilotes, is able to cope with great mental and physical stress . . . so he's confident.

So am I. May the Fates speed you, DC!
Old 3 May 2000, 16:29 (Ref:460)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fatbloke:
Capital Radio were reporting that DC and his mrs. were killed in the crash, so it was a relief to here later that he wasn't - though that doesn't help the families of those who were. The three that got out were very lucky - the whole of the front end of the plane had gone, and the passenger cabin seemed rather charred.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can also remember the night Graham Hill died in his plane. I heard that news on Capital Radio and couldn't believe it.

This time we can thank God it was not as bad as it could have been but my sympathies go to the pilots and their families.
Old 3 May 2000, 18:43 (Ref:461)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

(thankfully) It seems DC's physical health is not an issue. And we all hope his mental mindset has not been affected either. But to what extent will this affect him, if at all?

TGF had a similar (albeit different circumstances) hill to climb with his broken leg, which he has passed amicably. But we all know TGF's strength of character. Does this also apply to DC. Call me what ever you like, but I'm not so sure he's AS strong, and it might take him time to adjust, the first couple of days of driving at least. Being an F1 driver is, of course, in many ways similar to being in an aircraft. With the dangers of his lifstyle brought so squarely to home it MIGHT deter him from his usual focussed self. However, it being Barcelona, a circuit they all know well, we might not get to see on the surface what's going on in DC's mind quite as much as at other circuits. Driving on the limit again mayn't be such a challenge for him after all...
Old 3 May 2000, 18:47 (Ref:462)   #22
fatbloke
Veteran

If he is deemed fit to race, he'll cope just fine - the guy is a pro - as soon as he's in the car, he'll be concentrating too much on that to think about anything else. If he's not in the right frame of mind to race, he won't be allowed to...
Old 3 May 2000, 21:44 (Ref:463)   #23
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm also glad to hear David, Heidi and Andrew are OK.

My condolances go to the families of David Saunders and David Worley, the pilots.