Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 18 Feb 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3027619)   #1
AndreasL
Rookie

Sweden
AndreasL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to me RP24. (Looking for -77/-78 FF1600 info)

Hi all,

Short story is; a friend of mine purschased a ready to run Royale RP21 and a RP24 in boxes. It was not long until I, a touring car fan/driver/engineer with very limited formula car experience, hade the RP24 standing in my workshop.

Since then I have tried to seek as much information as possible regarding Royale in general and my car specificaly.

Looking through this forums and realise all the knowlage about this cars and the era they raced in as new, has been very inspirational to say the least. I really hope some of you who might have information that could help me in the search for my cars chassis number and history, have a minute to spare.

What I've got so far is the following list of all previous owners.

-77 Stuart Veitch GB
-78 Verner Svendsen DK
-79 Anders Nielsen DK
-80 Sten Dupont DK
-81 to -93 Kai Madsen DK
-94 to -01 Jan Mohlin SWE
-01 to -11 Tord Bodin SWE

According to Alan Cornock and "Nowhere to hide", Stuart Veitch run Jubilee Race Hire at this time and purchased two new RP24s.

RP24 / 12 Fitted with McLaren Orange bodywork
RP24 / 43 Fitted with White bodywork.

The #43 probably delivered in -78, says Alan.

So we have #12 and #43.
If #43 was delivered in -78, then it cant be the car I have got. Given that the owners records above is correct.

#12 seems to be the most likely candidate then. But the evidence is week to say the least.

Yesterday I hade the car back from sand blasting and like many others I found the Arch Motors numbers at the left rear of the chassis.

"77 29". The 29th chassis manufactured by Arch in -77 I guess then?

I have been told that the Arch records where lost in a fire many years ago.
Any ideas how to get information out of this numbers any way?

Finally, I really appreciate you taking your time "if only" a good story from this period.

All the best
/Andreas

Crappy phone picture.

Old 20 Feb 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3028530)   #2
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Rebuild

have fun with the rebuild Alan is the right man to talk to, lets see if the site can get you some answers .
Make sure you have your finished and ready to race in the next couple of years these are great times for Classic Formula Fords of all ages and getting better by the season .

Peter
Old 21 Feb 2012, 09:36 (Ref:3028769)   #3
AndreasL
Rookie

Sweden
Thanks for the encouraging words Peter.

Think you are right about FF1600 raising in popularity.
And that goes for Sweden as well I guess/hope.

As easely seen, no racing in this car in 2012, but hopefully I dont have to wait to long before its time.

Alan is a greate resource for information and parts that will be used more then ones in the future.

Now I sit hear hoping that Andrew Kitson, and others, will find this thread and fill it with many many photos, pit lane stories and what else happend in this era of racing.

Of course focused at what later became my car... [ironic]

Thanks!
Old 21 Feb 2012, 12:02 (Ref:3028836)   #4
RoyaleMax
Rookie

RoyaleMax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Royale RP24

Hi,

since short time I own an RP24 to. My car has the chassis #28 and the ownwer from new was Jürgen Witzke. I own the complete history from the car and some newspaper article from the 70´ and the the old ONS Pass from Germany.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 13:43 (Ref:3028897)   #5
AndreasL
Rookie

Sweden
RoyaleMax: That sounds really nice.
Anything you like to add regarding youre impressions of the car?
How it was to drive and/or work on for example.

I have some photos and, as can be found above, the complete list of the previous owners. But still not enuff to 100% confirm i.e. #12 or #43.

If anybody like, feel free to upload your RP24 pictures and tell your story.
If not giving any answers to my questions it is always fun to hear about.

Maybe some of the Moderators could add "Royale" in front of "RP24" in the header for clarity? I was not allowed to do it my self.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 20:52 (Ref:3029119)   #6
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
Its not to late

Its our diner dance this weekend only 10 miles from Race Retro so leap on a plane i will get you picked up from the airport brought to Race Retro and then our Diner on the Saturday then Back to Race Retro and dropped at the Airport .
So do you fancy it .

Peter
Old 21 Feb 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3029134)   #7
AndreasL
Rookie

Sweden
Haha, that is what I call an offer!

Really tempting, but waiting for pretty soon I guess Im better stick closer to home at the moment.

"I'm of a few days to the UK, poking around old race cars...OK?"

A Royale friend of mine is talking about the Festivale this year and if that works out I for sure will do what I can to come along. Meet me there and I will buy you a pint.

Cheers!
Old 21 Feb 2012, 22:34 (Ref:3029181)   #8
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
Formula Ford Festival

Watch this space !
Love to share a pint and talk racing if your over when we have a race i will leave tickets on the gate for you .

Peter
Old 22 Feb 2012, 15:29 (Ref:3029481)   #9
AndreasL
Rookie

Sweden
Got confirmation from Alan about my "fears" that the Arch Numbers did not have anything to do which chassis numbers the cars finally got.

Sometimes a "higher (Arch) numbered" car was finnished before a "lower numbered" one and naturally the first finnished car got the "next chassis number in line".

Makes sense and probably nothing new to other Royale owners.
But bad for my search.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3041837)   #10
AndreasL
Rookie

Sweden
Nothing new regarding the RP24 chassis number.
Or maybee I should say "Not solved yet...but we are still working at it".

And now some messages from our sponsores:

http://www.andrewkitson.com

Recived 2 prints today. Both FF1600 related, one beeing the last copy of the "Royale Racing Cars".

And if you ever buying anything from Mr Kitson, consider the option to have a small "add on" pencil drawing to the item. Well worth the extra cost involved I think.

Thanks Andrew, the RP24 frame is perfect down to the last detail. Almost like it was my own car.

Last edited by AndreasL; 15 Mar 2012 at 22:16.
Old 21 Mar 2012, 17:04 (Ref:3046066)   #11
chris bailey
Racer

chris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridchris bailey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see more RP24's emerging.

The RP24 was designed by the great Rory Byrne (Ferrari F1) in the Nissen Hut "factory" that Royale inhabited in the 1970's. I joined Royale as Rory's sidekick in the summer of '76 and drew a large proportion of the RP24. I had a hand in re-styling the car, as Rory originally had a chisel nose and squared-off sidepods. I took his general layout drawing home one evening and sketched the rounded nose (inspired by the T400 Lola F5000 of the same era). A bit more fiddling between us and the end result was one of the prettiest and most distinctive Formula Ford's. The NACA duct to the oil cooler was taken from an article in the 750 Motor Club bulletin I had at the time.

I worked with works driver Trevor Van Rooyen through the 1977 season, when he won over 30 races against star opposition (Mansell, Daly,Warwick,Leslie). The car suffered with understeer, which was mostly cured in '78 by playing with front and rear spring rates.

Best of luck with the rebuild.

Chris Bailey.
Old 25 Mar 2012, 12:53 (Ref:3047978)   #12
AndreasL
Rookie

Sweden
Greate to hear from one of the involved persons behind the design.

Guess I could be sitting with you for days going through everything you know and have learnd from this era and the RP24 more specific.

Me going blablablabla and you zzzzzzzz.

Seriously, I think I might ask a question or two when the time comes if that is alright?

More or less new to this type of cars I have to rely on simulations to get a baseline to start from. This type of tires, the Avons, are new to me as well so I have a lot to learn to get them working right. Time will tell if I'm in the ballpark or way off. Wont be race ready untill tomorrow, or the next day, though...

Cheers!
Old 23 Mar 2016, 10:53 (Ref:3626260)   #13
zbrickdriver
Rookie

zbrickdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
royal rp24

It is amazing to come across this conversation about the rp24 that was purchased by Stuart Veitch (jubilee race hire) back in 1977. I was one of the drivers of that car, painted in McLarin orange. Stuart had an rp21 that he had raced ( and often crashed) in 1976 and he began his race hire business because he was going broke fixing the rp21 all the time. I started out driving the rp21 but never felt good or secure in it. When the rp24 came along, everthing changed. I loved that car and found it much easier to drive fast. It may have been because of its understeer characteristics that I felt safer in it but whatever the reason, I ran in the Dulap "star of tomorrow" series and various other races that year. I remember a Brazilian who also used the rp24 and how he crashed it on saturday when I was supposed to drive it on Sunday. I assumed that I had lost my ride but went to Malory to watch the racing anyway. When I arrived around 10pm Saturday night, there was Stuart working away to rebuild the car for me. Being unprepared to race, I had to borrow a helmet and driving suit but I had a great race and the car performed beautifully. My best result in the Royal was a second at Snetterton. The following year Stuart switched to Crossle formula fords which explains the change in ownership. I went on to buy a Van Diemen for the 1978 season so my affair with Royal ended but I am thankful for the rp24 which gave me a lot of confidence that I never would have had in the rp21. I hope you guys enjoy the car as much as I did. Cheers.

Tags
formula ford, historic racing