Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Jan 2016, 17:19 (Ref:3607363)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Silverstone Classic Media Day

Media Day and (if you're lucky) testing for Silverstone Classic
Old 5 Feb 2016, 19:21 (Ref:3612065)   #2
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
As last year, the Silverstone Classic media / test day is free to competitors- http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/?u...8&e=5499594c53

But from memory (and logically) you have to prove that the car in question is entered for the meeting......

Old 7 Feb 2016, 20:26 (Ref:3612840)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I believe the test is open to spectators. Does anyone know otherwise?
Old 8 Feb 2016, 18:14 (Ref:3613144)   #4
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year, the weather was beautiful and I got about 30 laps in......a load better result than I managed at the actual event!
Old 8 Feb 2016, 19:41 (Ref:3613161)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I believe the test is open to spectators. Does anyone know otherwise?
Normally you would expect a test day to be 'open' but I've not tried to get into a Classic Media day without a race car in tow, so can't confirm!

May be worth asking- there is a enquiry form on the website, in contact section.

Would be good to have the answer- Let us know if you find out, please!
Old 9 Feb 2016, 13:35 (Ref:3613363)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Well I just phoned the Silverstone Classic general support line and they said that the general public are not allowed in the track for the test day.
Old 9 Feb 2016, 14:07 (Ref:3613367)   #7
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Then you need to find a chum who is testing, there's bound to be someone on here. Before you ask, I'm undecided but I'll shout if I'm going.
Old 10 Feb 2016, 14:51 (Ref:3613669)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Then you need to find a chum who is testing, there's bound to be someone on here. Before you ask, I'm undecided but I'll shout if I'm going.
Thanks

Actually any help I can get would be great.

I am doing a project on the historic supertourers however there is practically zero chance of me being an accredited media so if anyone is willing to assist me, I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Ben.
Old 15 Feb 2016, 10:10 (Ref:3614790)   #9
Normal Bloke
Rookie

Normal Bloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Well I just phoned the Silverstone Classic general support line and they said that the general public are not allowed in the track for the test day.
1. put toolbox in boot of car with an old racing tyre or a steering wheel, etc. Bring packed lunch and a flask also
2. Drive to circuit
3. tell Entry stewards you have parts/tools for car #whatever
4. Spend rest of day doing what you like doing most

At least that's how I've done it before......
Old 15 Feb 2016, 11:40 (Ref:3614808)   #10
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
That's worked for getting a road car into the actual classic as well! But don't tell the organisers......
Old 21 Apr 2016, 16:19 (Ref:3635449)   #11
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Expected this day to pass me by, but wasn't particularly bothered. Lot of standing around and little running on previous visits..... Now appears I may be dragging some cars up there and generally helping out with one or two of them, so any tenthers about, come and say Hi. I'll post which garage we're in after find out on arrival!

Old 21 Apr 2016, 20:03 (Ref:3635508)   #12
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
List of cars/drivers for the media day http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/SC16_M..._Groups_V1.pdf
Old 21 Apr 2016, 20:28 (Ref:3635519)   #13
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
That's a lot of motors.... 3 X 25 minute sessions per group- let's hope for no red flags... But as entry was free to competitors, and it's a promotional day, no complaints.

Timetable also here- http://www.hscc.org.uk/images/SC16_M...n_Times_V8.pdf

In answer to Sodemo's quandary, appears that a print of the timetable shown at the gate gets you in....

Old 22 Apr 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3635696)   #14
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fill the car with some cardboard boxes, drive up to the gate and peering at a piece of paper, ask; "How do I get to the Wing, whatever that is?"
Old 28 Apr 2016, 06:21 (Ref:3636818)   #15
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Well, as long as people remember this day is purely for event promotion, it's not a bad day out. Sun shone for all morning (fecking cold though) and only a very brief shower of something frozen early afternoon- while the journos being taken round, from what Delta says on tea break thread!

Good to bump into so many tenthers, many touting cameras. Now just got to clean everything again after one day's use! Why do English roads get so dirty when it rains.....
Old 28 Apr 2016, 14:00 (Ref:3636906)   #16
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyable day spent chatting to Tenthers and taking the odd photo - a few batches here to show some of what was displayed / taking part. Amazing level of media interest in Freddie Hunt driving and posing with his late-fathers cars.
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0023.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0033.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0077-HDR.jpg  

Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0098.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0164.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0171.jpg  

Old 28 Apr 2016, 14:01 (Ref:3636908)   #17
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Few more:
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0175.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0194.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0209.jpg  

Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0211.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0221.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0224.jpg  

Old 28 Apr 2016, 14:03 (Ref:3636909)   #18
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Last set:
Attached Thumbnails
Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0224.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0236.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0242.jpg  

Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0253.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0261.jpg   Silverstone Classic 2016_MediaTest Day_0331.jpg  

Old 28 Apr 2016, 14:04 (Ref:3636910)   #19
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
Oops - apologies for duplicate photo of Freddie Hunt in pit lane.
Old 28 Apr 2016, 15:23 (Ref:3636930)   #20
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An upset tummy curtailed my participation, but there were a couple of things that caught my eye particularly this boyhood dream car;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0793.jpg   IMG_0794.jpg   IMG_0796.jpg  

Old 29 Apr 2016, 00:26 (Ref:3636986)   #21
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not up to professional standards but what do you expect when a marshal is let loose with a camera (and no pitlane passes).

2016 Silverstone Classic Media day
Old 29 Apr 2016, 16:58 (Ref:3637155)   #22
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Certainly looks a packed event, but personally it is probably too big for me nowadays, I prefer the smaller scale events. A sign of age I know...
Old 29 Apr 2016, 17:32 (Ref:3637166)   #23
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
One of my favourite events - great cars , if ho hum circuit these days.What Can Am presence was there? The Can Am race should be a highlight and am hoping that the entry is healthy . Got to be healthier than the sports/GT race at Donington tomorrow anyway...
Old 29 Apr 2016, 18:19 (Ref:3637175)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
One of my favourite events - great cars , if ho hum circuit these days.What Can Am presence was there? The Can Am race should be a highlight and am hoping that the entry is healthy . Got to be healthier than the sports/GT race at Donington tomorrow anyway...
Hi coppice and welcome! A link to the list of cars that were entered for the media day can be found in post #12. Can't actually remember seeing any CanAm cars moving though, but was preoccupied much of the time!
Old 29 Apr 2016, 18:36 (Ref:3637180)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
Not up to professional standards but what do you expect when a marshal is let loose with a camera (and no pitlane passes).

2016 Silverstone Classic Media day
Ian,

The link seems to require a login. If so your audience will be a tad restricted I suspect.