Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Mar 2002, 17:07 (Ref:232911)   #1
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Favourite Historic Series

What is your favourite Historic racing series?

My personal favourite is the Thoroughbread Grand Prix Championship, the sound of those things is amazing and the fact that they race in their original liveries is even better. Unfortunately I'll miss the Brands round this year but theres always next time I suppose.

I can't wait to catch a glimpse of the Group C cars at Brands in a couple of weeks. They should be fantastic!!!
Old 11 Mar 2002, 19:50 (Ref:233007)   #2
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I have to say that the CSSCGB (or whatever it's called now) is my favourite, although I do really enjoy the Thoroughbred GP and BOSS F1 series too. Oh, and Formula Saloons, they are great but I wouldn't really call them classics. Not just yet anyway!
Old 11 Mar 2002, 21:31 (Ref:233103)   #3
strad
Veteran

strad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like you guys get a better grade of Vintage Racing than we in the U.S..
Over here we have Vintage Races, but for the most part they are not that hotly contested because the owners don't want to damage a car valuable as much as some of these cars have become.
Which brings up a sore subject with me,,,up until just a very few years ago you could pick up an ex-Formula or Can-Am cars for peanuts, they weren't worth much partly because there was no place to play with them, but with the advent of these historic and vintage racing series' the price has gone through the roof.
Old 11 Mar 2002, 22:36 (Ref:233175)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Definately looking forward the Group C race at Brands and the Grand Touring series at other BTCC meeting this year looks promising. Never really enjoyed BOSS F1 but the odd TGP race I've seen has been good. Classic Saloon races are always fun. Agree with Craig about Formula Saloons but as he says it's not really classic/historic yet.
Old 12 Mar 2002, 06:07 (Ref:233319)   #5
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here in QLD Australia, I suppose my faves are:
Na, Nb & Nc Historic Touring Cars
Groups P, Q, and R Historic Racing Cars, a lot of Formula Atlantics, Pacifics, F5000s (if they turn up) etc. A fantastic mix of cars, and really good action.
Sa, Sb and Sc Historic Sports Cars

Also I can't wait for the return of the Group C(/A) Touring Cars in June... that'll be fantastic.
Old 13 Mar 2002, 18:48 (Ref:234428)   #6
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see you have the same problem in Oz as we do over here with F5000. I don't think they are very reliable because there never seems to be a big grid of theswe cars thought they are very good when there is.

Any VSCC/HSCC meeting is worth visiting for the chance to see cars which are usually only seen in a museum competing. The VSCC drivers always give 100% in their races.
Old 13 Mar 2002, 20:07 (Ref:234500)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, it has to be CTCRC (or to give it it's real title CSCC) for me, but I also enjoy the MG Car Club events and the FIA Historic Touring Cars are also good value.

I'd love to see some of those F5000 races but I haven't had the chance yet. To see them carrying all that weight through the corners is awesome.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 13 Mar 2002 at 20:08.
Old 13 Mar 2002, 21:38 (Ref:234561)   #8
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The TGP series is the best series I have seen. The Group C series should be good with a few more entries this year, and the same with the F5000. Both look and sound great.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 09:16 (Ref:234848)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aren't you historic saloon car fans forgetting HSCC saloon car racing and Top Hat Saloon endurance racing. Top Hat offers fantastic racing and being 1 hour races great value to driver and spactator. Julius Thurgood has set up a great series. This year he has added GTA challenge for Bertone Alfa's as well as Cloth Cap and best of British.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 13:05 (Ref:234975)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm not forgetting those at all. I just don't see them as relevant in terms of historic championships because the former allows cars built to regs whiuch were extant for only one season and the later was invented for reasons unkown and it takes cars and drivers from the CSCC which also runs one hour, two driver races.
Old 14 Mar 2002, 14:11 (Ref:235011)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Having not raced with CSCC but actively with HSCC and Top Hat, it would be wrong of me to say one was better than the other. Having said that my experience of HSCC and Top Hat has been excellant close racing at great meetings. If CSCC provides that as well we are all very lucky! In respect to the regs of HSCC my car was eligible for the Historic Festival at Silverstone so I can only assume the regs are not that out of line, sorry to have hit a raw nerve!
Old 14 Mar 2002, 16:39 (Ref:235130)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not a raw nerve just a confusion. The CSCC doesn't race sports cars so why does the HSCC race touring cars? Never understood that bit.

The reason you can race at the Silverstone Historic meeting is because the regs were built around the HSCC regs. Ergo the cars built to CSCC regs were excluded yet they are built to a recognised appendix. Our App K cars are of course eligible.

Close racing is always guranteed at CSCC meets sometimes though it can be a bit too close (see the CSCC 2000 season review).
Old 15 Mar 2002, 08:31 (Ref:235525)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

I had heard that CSCC had a reputation for door banging, that was one of the main reasons for me going with Top Hat and HSCC, I cant afford to rebuild my car several times a season!! I agree it is unfortunate that there are so many similar series I think this is a common problem throughout Historic racing but I am not sure what the answer is. Are you racing at the VSCC/BRDC at Silverstone? they are letting both CSCC and HSCC race together
Old 15 Mar 2002, 09:31 (Ref:235544)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not heard of that one, when is it?
Old 15 Mar 2002, 10:19 (Ref:235572)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

13/14 April meeting includes Drum brake sports cars etc... but also touring car race on Sunday which is open for all HCSS HRSR cars and CSCC equivalent series (pre 65). sadly it is on the National and only 12 lap sprint, but for me it will be my season opener so I am looking fwd to it!
Old 15 Mar 2002, 10:59 (Ref:235595)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Enjoy it Simon. Sadly though, my car is too new for that event.

Going back to door banging, it's not that bad, but some people do tend to get a bit excited. Funnily enough its the guys with the most expensive cars who are the most aggressive.
Old 15 Mar 2002, 11:20 (Ref:235599)   #17
simon drabble
Veteran

well they normally have the largest budget!!

what do you race?
Old 15 Mar 2002, 15:00 (Ref:235733)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thought you'd never ask.
Old 15 Mar 2002, 15:05 (Ref:235735)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Actually I tried to attach a pic but its a bit too large. Have a look at my websire for a few samples.
Old 15 Mar 2002, 16:36 (Ref:235769)   #20
simon drabble
Veteran

very smart and impressive website! good luck for this season!
Old 15 Mar 2002, 19:09 (Ref:235883)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks Simon and the same to you. Sadly my season will be delayed until 6 April due to a supplier failure.

What do you race then?
Old 15 Mar 2002, 22:04 (Ref:235986)   #22
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
April 6th? Peter, I do believe I can watch the Capri's season debut after all!!

I think it's fair to say that as regards the CSCC, most of the Rock-Apes don't get invited back if they get too aggressive. Unless of course they're Big Name Rock-Apes like the driver of a certain Triumph who was a bit seriously quick back in the BTCC.

Am I allowed to say that...?!
Old 16 Mar 2002, 09:10 (Ref:236247)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Mallory Park 6th April. I trust the car will definitely be ready then!!

Not sure which Truimph driver you're talking about though.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 16 Mar 2002 at 09:11.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 11:04 (Ref:238245)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

That is a fluid subject at the moment I am negotiating on something which may or may not come off. If not then I will race an Alfa Guilia Sprint GT. And hopefully I too will have a website in a few days time. It is almost finished.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 12:32 (Ref:238307)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

Short of the glorious GTA that is a loverly piece of machinery. If your new deal comes off let us know.

Good luck with the website.